1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do we need supernatural miracles today anymore?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Apr 17, 2007.

?
  1. Absolutely. The Kingdom of God exists in POWER!!!! Power means miracles!

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I don't know.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No, absolutely not. Nobody needs miracles. Miracles are not necessary anymore.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I don't want miracles! Miracles are only for freaks, I don't need them to believe.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Some say we don't need them, but why? Where's the difference between 2000 years ago & now?

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. Miracles were only for the jews. Today you either believe or you don't.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. God doesn't do miracles anymore. Today God only watches.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Miracles? What's that?

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Miracles are necessary. The people today NEED to experience God's power and see that He's real!

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. Without miracles the body of Christ is simply dead.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Big survey!

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Are you talking about the signs, wonders, and miracles that were performed by certain men, or miracles that are directly from God?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God sends miracles whenever he pleases. He has done so before, and he can do so today.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do we need them?
    No, of course not!
    All one needs to be saved is the gospel.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I needed a miracle when I had my heart problems and God provided me with one.

Why wouldn't we have miracles today?

God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow!

6. atestring

atestring New Member

God is a good God. He looks with compassion upon people that need miracles.
    Miracles show the goodness of God.
    the goodness of God leads people to repentance.

When the son of Man cometh he wants to see faith upon the earth.
    God Uses people of faith to do miracles in His name.

If I was unsaved in need of a miracle and you told me that God does not do miracles and we don't need miracles today I doubt that I would be interested in a God that would be so heartless.
    We all know that God is not the one that is heartless.

#6 atestring, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Need miracles for what? I don't think that was ever established. As Sue pointed out, sometimes miracles are needed in dealing with health, but miracles aren't needed to bring people to God, or to prove there is a God. We have His Word for that.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think the choices in this poll are flawed.

For example, "Miracles are only for freaks"? What kind of answer is this?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you hadn't gone you would have gone to be with the Lord which Paul says is much better. We succumb to the will of God.
    In no way do we need miracles, and let me stress the word "need."
    I don't discount the miraculous, the healing hand of God, the fact that God does intervene from time to time in a miraculous way in the affairs of men. But the question is: Does he need to? And the answer IMO, is No.
    One cannot tie God down, put him in a box, and order Him around: God you need to do this and that, etc. That is ridiculous.

10. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I think it's very sad that so many christians think and what's even worse also teach that God is only interested in us being saved but the rest doesn't matter to him at all. Do you not see what this causes? This makes people think that God is a God of the afterlife. He's only "good" to get to heaven but he cannot do anything for you here on earth and this makes them focus on other things. If you are here on earth and have a problem then you need a God who intervenes! A God who does miracles. A God who heals and who doesn't simply sit there and watch!
    Boy, I am so sick of this twisted theology where christians which are sick and suffering are given smart advice how to deal with their suffering. :BangHead:

What did Jesus do? He healed people! He fed people! He had compassion with people. He didn't simply tell them how to get saved and that's it. Where is this today? I don't see it anymore. Today it's all about explaining why God wants people to be sick. Today they create theologies to make christians comfortable in their belief that God wants them to be sick and to teach them something this way. That's simply sick. That's not the full gospel anymore.

#10 xdisciplex, Apr 18, 2007
  11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Miracles are one way we "taste AND SEE that the Lord is good!"

God says regarding the tithe "TEST Me now in this and SEE if I will not open up for you the windows of heaven".

The wicked person has said in his heart "God will not DO anything".

Christ said "ASK anything in my name and I will DO it"

12. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Amen!

But the question is do most of the christians today even believe that God is good and that God cares about them here and now and not only about where they spend eternity? The here and now has been totally neglected as if it didn't matter at all and as if God wants the christians to have a difficult life full of suffering while all the bad guys around them are enjoying their lives.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course that Matt 12 statement was followed by the "sign" of Christ rising up out of the grave - followed bh the "sign" of Pentecost and the "sign" of Acts 5 tongues and the miracle working power given to the NT church after they "stayed and WAITED" in Acts 1 as Christ told them - instead of just running out immediately and telling the world.

Feast your soul on this --

1Cor 2
    4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
    5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men,
    but on the power of God..

#14 BobRyan, Apr 18, 2007
  15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we need supernatural miracles today anymore?

Nah, not "today anymore." It's after 8 p.m.; just call it the day for all of them and now unwind.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Every time God answers one of my prayers, it's like a miracle to me. Who am I that He should know my name? :praying:

:jesus: Lord of all!

17. bmerr

bmerr New Member

bmerr here. Perhaps the question should have been asked differently. "Has the purpose of miracles been fulfilled?"

What was the purpose of miracles?

Mark 16:20 - "And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen."

Matt 14:32-33 - "And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God."

Acts 8:6 - "And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Phillip Spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did."

Several other passages could be cited, but these should suffice to show that the purpose of miracles was to confirm the word, that it was the word of God.

So has the word been confirmed? Has the faith been delivered? Jude 3 indicates that the faith has been (past tense) delivered, and thus, confirmed.

This being the case, the miraculous spiritual gifts have ceased, the time of the miraculous is over. Now abideth faith, hope, and love...

In Christ,

bmerr

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

We are to walk by faith, not by sight.

But, sometimes God gives you what you ask for, even if it's not what he wants for you.

An example of this was in the wilderness. He wanted them to have manna. They whined and moaned until they got their way, and he gave them meat until it made them sick!

As bmerr pointed out, the purpose for the signs, wonders, and miracles performed by these individuals has passed, these individuals are gone, and they are not for today.

19. Mike4334

Mike4334 New Member

Miracles

I think that we need ordinary miracles and gifts like Bible preaching and revival more than extraordinary miracles. This is what we need. Anything less is counterfeit. I don't think we need people falling over or speaking in tongues if the Bible is to sit on the shelf unstudied, unread, and unpreached. This occurs to many churches.

Miracles are not first and foremost. The thing of first importance is the Gospel (1 Cor 15:10). It is miraclous if you consider God the pouring out of grace in times of revival. It is nothing short of a miracle.

This is not to say that extraordinary miracles cannot bring about many ordinary things. It is to say that ordinary means are often what God will bless. It is to say that these ordinary things are much more important to focus on. God will grant miracles as he pleases. You can seek them but you should rather seek first God's kingdom and everything else will be provided. You seek not the gift or miracle but you seek God. The world does not need miracles it first needs God.

I am pre-charismatic. Don't ask me what i mean by it. I will say I fall with John Bunyan.

#19 Mike4334, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  20. atestring

atestring New Member

Mircles have everything to do with God being compassionate.
    God uses people to reveal His compassion.
    It is not a matter of wheither miracles are required but it has everything to do with God's nature which is the fact that God is Love.
    The other factor involved is Faith and without it we can not please God.
    If God's Love is in our lives and we have God pleasing faith miracles will be part of the kingdom of God.
    Anyone that would say that miracles have passed they would be saying that God no longer has compassion.