Do you agree with the doctrine of eternal sonship?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Sep 8, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex
    Expand Collapse

Yes or no?

Definition:

And is there a chance that Jesus has not always existed but that he was created by God at some point before time even existed? Because when Jesus says "before Abraham was I am" then could this not also be interpreted in the way that before Abraham was created he already existed but this doesn't necessarily mean that Jesus wasn't also created at one point before time. :confused:

2. J. Jump

J. Jump
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

The problem with that though is Scripture tells us that Christ was the Creator and without Him was nothing created. He is the sustainer of all that has been created.

The only option would be that God created Him before everything else, but that still violates Scripture because Christ equates Himself with God, which means He had no beginning and no end.

I don't see an issue with Christ always being the Son, but others may have some input on that.

3. Not_hard_to_find

Not_hard_to_find
    Expand Collapse

Yes.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4. Eric B

Eric B
    Expand Collapse

The pre-Nicene fathers saw the Word as eternal, and the Son as beginning in time (usually birth). This did not diminish his divinity, because, the Word was still God.
    The Nicene and later creeds, in order to combat Arianism (the view that "Jesus has not always existed but that he was created by God at some point before time even existed"--or afterward) then had to come up with the above cited definition of Sonship and its "begettal" as an eternal "relationship" to avoid any possible implications of Him being created.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

This shows that Christ was eternally God - but does it show an eternal Father Son releationship in eternity past where lets say - there are no other beings in the entire empty universe for eternity? What is the benefit of the Father-Son hierarchy in the Godhead given such an empty situation?

I believe that God the Son is eternally God just as God the Father and God the Holy Spirit - but I don't know whether they adopted or took on role changes as "intelligent life" was created.

In Christ,

Bob

6. Not_hard_to_find

Not_hard_to_find
    Expand Collapse

No one does. And I don't know why in the world we quibble over such questions when witnessing accomplishes so much more. Sure wish I had come to this conclusion a few weeks ago,

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

Yep, you betchya, of course, without a doubt.

Colossians 1:16-18
    Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

8. nate

nate
    Expand Collapse

Yes based on the Bible and Church teaching.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Jesus was not created. Jesus was, is, and always will be - God. The lie that He was created comes from mormons and heretics. Pure and simple, that is heresy.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

El Guero I hope you understand that I don't believe Christ was created. He is the Creator! Hard to create Yourself :)

11. El_Guero

El_Guero
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Thank God for the miracle of regeneration . . . otherwise we would not believe the Truth.

;)