1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you agree with this quote?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

First, do you agree with this quote?
    Second, how would you apply it to every day life?
    Third, how would you apply it to posting on the BB?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds impressive, and my initial instinct is to agree, BUT, I'm gonna have to read this real slow a few time to digest it & see if it continues to say what my first impression says.

I don't think in this style, so I gotta be slow and deliberate before commiting to an answer.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You do the crime---you do the time???

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

It is a few hundred years old so I know what you mean. I had to read it a couple of times as well.

I think the point is that it is inconsistent to get all upset when humans are offended but to not care when God is offended.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I hadn't thought of that.

I am wondering if Calvin meant civilly punishable crimes or if he was using the word crime in a different way?

Of course it doesn't matter too much to the point of the quote.

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Agree with it, I don't even understand it! :D

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I don't know, Dale

Too many people read Calvin's books as if they're(the books) are part of infallable, inspired, inerrant Holy Bible

Too many look at Calvin as Jesus reincarnate

I just don't get into him

Lots more edible fish in the sea!!!

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It reminds me of Numbers 25. When I read that passage for the first time, it came as quite a shock that God would not only commend Phinehas for killing the couple, but even turn aside his wrath because of it. But it becomes obvious when you realize that Phinehas was defending God's honor with zeal.

NO, I DO NOT equate this with bombing abortion clinics (some anti-abortionists carry signs that say Number 25 on them). There's a very big difference. Abortionist doctors aren't God's people who are deliberately dishonoring His name. They're just lost people who usually don't know what they're doing is wrong.

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you will have to tell me if I am paraphrasing him correctly. Is this what he is saying?

"It is foolish to punish others when people are harmed and to ignore or secretly indulge the irreverent modes of worship where God's Majesty is being profaned."

If that is what he is saying then here is my answer your questions.

1. Yes, I agree that to ignore the violating of God's Majesty is foolish, but I cannot agree with his "impious errors or sacreligious modes of worship" because I don't know what he is talking about. Was he opposed to people using alcoholic wine for communion? Well, then I am, too. Was he opposed to certain types of music that didn't suit him, personally? Well, then I can't agree with him. I don't know what he considers "impious" or "sacreligious".

2. In everyday life, we should set aside times to be deeply engrossed in prayer, Bible reading, and worship so as not to place humanity in priority over God.

3. As far as the BB is concerned......I have difficulty with this quote. There has been more ugliness spread on the BB about the "modes" of worship than you can shake a stick at. I have said before that I don't see any commanded "modes" of worship in the bible. I see responses from God's people to God during worship, but that's all. So, to me this quote is simply just another person who has set in his mind what is and isn't proper worship, but doesn't outline it in the quote.

The only thing that I agree with is that the violation of God's Majesty is sinful and it is foolish of Christians to get in a snit over a man who robs a bank and to ignore God's Majesty.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Not Trustworthy

:saint: John Calvin was just a fallible man and a sinner just like the rest of us. We ALL need to remember that. Personally I find his words and teachings to be just as uninspired and fallible as any other man. Like any other man his words must be measured and scrutinized and held up to the searchlight of God's Word to be tested. John Calvin was simply another man who created a theological "system" to try to explain the Mind of God from the standpoint of FALLIBLE human wisdom. In my opinion he failed in many ways. As Born-Again (if we are) Bible-Believing Christians(if we are) we should trust ONLY the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth by reading and studying the perfect and PRESERVED Word of God. We should also constantly be humbly praying for Godly wisdom and discernment so that we won't be misled by the fallible words of fallible men but rather that we will be led into the truth for the SAKE and purposes of God and our Savior,the Lord Jesus Christ. Everything we say or do or seek to become should be for His sake and His GLORY and to His PRAISE. There is no higher purpose for the child of God. To endlessly debate the particulars of salvation,foreknowledge,predestination,election,etc. solves NOTHING among professing Christians...it just veers us off-course as to why God saved us...and that is that we should be conformed to the image of His dear Son,the Lord Jesus Christ,and be the firstborn among MANY BRETHREN (in short that means get saved ourselves and SPREAD THE WORD so that others will do the same). Who gets saved and who CAN BE SAVED is NOT our affair. That's God's business. We just need to keep our "eye on the ball" and SPREAD THE WORD FAITHFULLY. The results are His business. The rest we'll know when we get to heaven....Praise God!! God Bless Ya'll!!:thumbs:

Greg Perry Sr.:godisgood: :saint:

11. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I thank we just need to let God Judge them. I agree with scarlett on this. I did not really understand what it ment myself so I am staying away from words like that.

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Christians are limited to Church discipline within the membership of the local body as "punishment". Church discipline is all about restoration. The harshest punishment (with church discipline) is to consider the person as an unbeliever and treat them accordingly. Beyond church discipline, God has not commanded Christians to punish people for anything, much less violating God's majesty. One more point. God doesn't need our help to punish anyone for anything. He is quite capable.
    As stated above.
    Not at all. The BB is not a church. Everyone who agrees to posting rules are agreeing to accept the decisions of the mods.

peace to you:praying:

#12 canadyjd, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007