1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you automatically like church & worship when you're born again?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 21, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Today I listened to a sermon about losing your salvation which scared me.
    The pastor made it look like when you're born again then you automatically love going to church and having fellowship with christians and you are totally keen on going to church and you make it your top priority and you also love worshipping.
    Does it always have to be this way? Because I'm not so keen on going to church and I also don't like singing because I cannot sing and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Does this mean that something is wrong? Does a christian when he gets born again automatically get a supernatural joy which makes him so happy that he can sing and worship and be happy all the time? I don't have this.
    It's very rare that I have a day where I am happy, but that's another story.
    But maybe I should be happy. I mean I should be happy when I think about being saved, right? But the thing is that these things are so hard to grasp in my mind. I mean when I think about heaven then heaven seems so far away that I cannot really rejoice and look forward to it. All I see is here and now and how I will get along in life. These things kind of rob my joy. Does this mean that I belong to the bad ground where the seeds fell on and something grew but then thorns also grew among the seeds and it didn't work? Do you first of all have to secure your salvation somehow by showing God that you're really serious about it?
    Does this mean that those people which belong to the bad ground also were born again but then either fell off or weren't able to lead a victorious life?
    But somehow I cannot really rejoice, it doesn't work. When I try to rejoice and focus totally on Jesus then I become scared of somehow losing him or losing my faith and getting lost. But if I on the other hand cut it back a bit and focus more on other things in life then Jesus isn't the number one anymore and this is also noot good but if I focus on Jesus 100% and think about Jesus, the bible and my faith all day then it doesn't take long and I feel totally miserable again. :(

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

XD, everytime you listen to radio or tv preaches you get depressed. That should tell you something...like... stop listening to them. You can't lose your salvation even if you're afraid that you will. You just spend a lot of time being worried over something that won't happen. Salvation is eternal life. ETERNAL means FOREVER.
    Salvation is a gift. God doesn't take back His gifts. As far as automatically wanting to be in church after you're saved, I think it's probably different for everybody. When I was saved I couldn't get enough of the Bible, I wanted to be in church all the time, I drove everybody around me crazy because all I could talk about was Jesus. But, when my husband was saved (only 2 years ago) he was not nearly as vocal yet he has a huge love for the Lord that he never had before. So, I think it depends on the person. We shouldn't compare ourselves to other people. God made each one of us unique in our own way. :thumbs:

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Christians don't automatically "like church and worship." However, there will be a hunger and thirst for the word of God. It's a growing process. As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.

4. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

In your case, definitely not.

Your thought processes are getting in the way of your walk. Is is a mental issue. Get the mental worked out through a prescription designed specifically for you. Take it under medical supervision, at least for the first 30 to 60 days. Check in with the doc periodically thereafter.

:flower:

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I don't know. This sounds as if a pill will fix everything. What would I do if I lived 100 years ago? There would be no pills. Does this mean that unless I take a happy pill I cannot be a good christian and reach my potential?

And if you cannot get lost once you're saved then what about somebody who was clearly a christian and later on fell off and now he's in the world again and doesn't want to have anything to do with God? According to this logic he has never really been a christian, buw what if he has shown all the signs? Then how can you know that you're even a real christian? What if you also fall off and then find out in retrospective that you simply have never been a christian?

#5 xdisciplex, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
  6. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

xdx, if a pill straightens out your mental limitations, then take the pill. Thereafter, you can rejoice. In your case, it comes in that order.

Many there are who have been saved and then have fallen by the wayside. They didn't lose their salvation, they lost their moment-by-moment connection with God. Paul explains that.

Many there are who have been saved and have then made a comeback. Me, for example. I wasn't lost, I was just wandering about. SBCers have a word for it: "drifting" -- you'll hear "O, I've drifted so far."

I know that I know that I know because I have read the book and stepped out in faith believing.

:thumbs:

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But this doesn't sound to me as if all kinds of grounds stand for saved christians.

Mat 13:18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
    Mat 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
    Mat 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
    Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but endureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
    Mat 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
    Mat 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some a hundredfold some sixty, some thirty.

The bible also says that this:

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

This means that at least those in Mat 13:21 did not make it. I don't know about those in Mat 13:22.

And if you cannot get lost once you're born again then what about this?

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

This means that he can blot people out.

#7 xdisciplex, Dec 21, 2006
  8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you lived 100 years ago there would also be no computers. So, by your own logic you should throw your computer away and never use one again. Also, no electricity, indoor plumbing, no antibiotics to heal your infections. Get the picture?

9. Joe

Joe New Member

XDX,
    For someone who is concerned about taking drugs, there are a few natural alternatives I know of- St. John's wart is known to work for depression though the government has issued reports against many of the natural cures (due to their calling every thing a disease now, which legally means there is no natural cure, which is untrue AND results in more $$ for them) I ignore these reports, and often will go buy the product anyways. It usually does what it is known to do.

Scattered thinking and racing thoughts such as anxiety can often be calmed by Kava Kava (I prefer the tea, but they make pills). These do not have the side effects of anti-depressants. I also find regular strenuous exercise helps me focus.

I like your (Xdx's) threads because they are interesting and usually bring about multiple responses. If this is the avenue which best keeps you intersted in the bible, then so be it. Everyone is different.

Getting to the the posts question-No, I automatically did not like church & worship when I was born again. It took a few years for this to happen. I enjoy bible studies much more.

#9 Joe, Dec 21, 2006
  10. Dustin

Dustin New Member

xd, it was about 3 months before I started going back to church after I repented and put my mustard seed of faith in Christ. and then, it was about another month and a half before i started going to a good church. Things like that are trial and error. I kinda felt like I didn't want to go, but since (at the bad church) they were trying to feed me works salvation doctrines, and doing blasphemously unbiblical things, eventually God opened my eyes and I walked out in the middle of a service and never went back. I was churchless again for a bit, then I started going to a Presby church with a friend, and here I am now. It takes some time to figure it all out. Look for a church that preaches the Bible expostitionally. Whether it be Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Reformed, ect...just make sure the teaching is good. See at the other church I went to, I didn't feel like I was part of them, and they were very nice and accepting, but I didn't feel like I belonged there. But when I found my current church, it wa ssuch a relief to hear the Bible beng preached and the Gospel proclaimed, and the Lord's Supper being given. Just pray and look, that's what I did.

11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Man, xdx, you're in my head again.

This is the kind of stuff that has scared me to death for years. Counseling helped, believe it or not, as did getting some good teaching from scholarly sources.

Look, you aren't saved-or-unsaved depending on how you feel when you get out of bed. Nor are you saved or unsaved depending on whether or not the preacher is lousy and the music not your bag that Sunday.

Please allow em to do an inspection of your "fruit."

Yep, it's definite. You're saved, and from what little I know of you you're well within God's loving care. You won't deny Christ, or refuse the Holy Spirit. Relax. Of all the people I know in real life or on the Internet, you're one of the ones I can point to as definitely "saved."

On the subject of "a pill curing everything," no one says it will. Medication isn't a cure, but it is a cobblestone in the path to healing. Take the meds, get in counseling, and you'll get there. In the meantime, look at the evidence of your salvation and take heart: you know -- and I mean you don't just beleive, you know -- that Jesus Christ is Lord, that He died for your sins and was raised on the third day. You've dedicated your life to Him. Beyond that, it's a matter of taking each step one at a time.

12. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

You don't live a hundred years ago. Not your concern.

You cannot be lost once you are saved (though some will tell you so, the Bible confirms salvation). Not your concern.

Only you know whether or not you have accepted God's gift of Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. That, my dear, is your concern.

Taking care of your physical self is as important as taking care of your spiritual self. See your doctor, get a second opinion, follow their instructions.