1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe everything that your pastor preaches?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Craigbythesea, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Do you believe everything that your pastor preaches from the pulpit?

[​IMG]

2. CoachC

CoachC New Member

No. I am responsible for seeking truth on my own. I listen to what my pastor preaches and then I do my best to verify what I don't already know is true.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. :D :D :D

Actually, my pastor is quite human and I have noticed small errors that weren't worth the dispute they would cause to correct.

One thing is that he tends to preach tithing in a legalistic tone... I think the tithe is a principle for the NT church but not a command... we should actually give more than 10%.

The early church shared all things in common and cared for its own widows, orphans, elderly, etc.

4. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

My pastor leans a little more towards hyles.vineyard thinking. Naturally, I don't agree with some things he says and he invites others to meet with him to discuss the bible. Problem is you better bring a concordance. The man knows his Bible and he won't make a fool of you, but you will leave knowing you dealt with a spirit filled believer.
    Actually, I planned to jump on this thread with a nasty attitude because I know too many baptists don't know why the believe what they believe. Some are too willing to be like-minded without thinking first, while others try too hard to be different and look as dumb as those who follow as blind sheep.
    Go to seminary and you will meet both types. Ever heard of westermann, klaus????? Some who came in believing that moses wrote a few books walked out agreeing that moses, as westermann taught, could not have given an accurate account because he wasn't 'there'.
    Good idea for a post, craig. We must not assume accuracy always follows authority. I have had some pastors that said some crazy things (one was with the Wimber movement). Traveling as an evangelist exposed me to some pastors who made some crazy comments.
    With independent fundamental baptists and the authority we give a pastor, having an honest man with integrity is going to be more important than a church run by the deacons or by the people.

5. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you believe everything that your pastor preaches from the pulpit?

-------------------
    As a former President once said, "Trust but verify". I've found that is welcomed by most pastors. Shows you arent snoozing. Good topic.

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

About as much as I believe everything I see read here.

7. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Bad english on my part..what I mean is it is much more dangerous for a bad man to be pastor of an IFB church. The other churches which give less authority (I say "which", so you wont think I am saying onl IFB churches give their pastor due authority) allow the pastor less say-so without vote/discussion.etc.

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Can Believe and Agree With be interchanged here?

The answer is no. And as has already been said, read the Book and study on your own.

I've heard several preachers say something like "Don't just take my word for it, read your Bible."

9. David M Walker

David M Walker New Member

No!

"...it is much more dangerous for a bad man to be pastor of an IFB church. The other churches which give less authority allow the pastor less say-so without vote/discussion.etc."

True!

10. billreber

billreber New Member

I put into practice what I teach the children in Sunday School -- check it out in the Bible.

Otherwise you might be sure that the Bible was originally written in the KJV!(LOL). Or that Moses built the ark. Or that my favorite verse is 2 Hesitations 3:12.

Get the point? "Check it out in the Bible".

Bill

11. Soulman

Soulman New Member

No. I verify when in doubt.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes---I believe everything I say!!!! If I didn't---I would be part of the group who goes around "deceiving and being deceived"

Do my listeners believe everything I say?? Probably not---but if they do their own investigation of what is being preached---it won't take them long to realize that my arrows are all inside the inside circle----get it???

Bro. David

13. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

I believe that my preacher lives everything he preaches, although I do not agree with him 100% on everything. I wish I could get the point of living 100% of what I believe.

14. csmith

csmith New Member

The pastor of our church has changed over the years and altered his thinking on many things, so I can see why people would consult God's Word before "blindly" following.

OH!!! I am the pastor of that church!

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No, I don't believe everything he preaches/teaches. He is the first to tell us to check it out. And in my home church, you won't find very many folks at all who come to church without their Bible and note pad. [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Exactly how I feel. I have not heard much from him that I would disagree with him on except his being a KJVO, of which I told him to his face that we disagree on this. He said he will be conducting a series soon on Sunday nights as to why he is that way. I can't wait for that!

17. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Since I grew old enough to think and reason for myself, I can't recall ever knowing a pastor with whom I agreed 100% of the time. But I pray for them, becaue all but one of the pastors I have ever known had this in common - they had a deep belief in their convictions and a desire to spread the word of God. If only we could all be more like them!

18. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. He isn't perfect, but neither am I. However, I accept w/o hesitation what he preaches FROM SCRIPTURE, at Scripture's face value.

My pastor is very accessible; he's the asst. principal and track coach at the school from which my sone graduated, where my wife works.

19. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. He's an idiot and sins all the time. I don't know how God uses him, but He seems to, even though not everything that he says is inspired.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Not without checking it out in scripture myself. Only Christ is perfect. [​IMG]