1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in Miracles, healings ext. ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jun 26, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I know that lately, there have been many who have come out in the name of the Lord and are not really from God. Becuase of this, many have gone from one extreme of believing all of it without consulting the word of God to see if its biblical, to not believing anything at all.

Many say, " I believe in miracles but" .....

But what? that is the question, has your heart been hardened to the point where you just trust anyone in the body of Christ, and if someone says, I was healed by that preacher, inmediately you think " Ohh, boy, another crazy charismatic".

It has happened to me and I dont want to do that, I know that God can and will do anything he wants..... has it ever happened to you?

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that God is completely unlimited (other than the limits He has set on Himself). God can do, and still does miracles and healings today. But He does them according to His plan, for His glory. I've seen evidence of His healing. I've known those who were miraculously healed. I've also know others who prayed for God to heal and He didn't. That's not because somehow God couldn't, it just wasn't His plan.

I've also seen where God didn't heal and some idiot comes up and says it's because we didn't have enough faith. Like somehow, if we had enough faith, we could make God do something that was not of his will.

What I don't buy into is those liars who sell "God's healing" to those with the right amount of money. I don't believe in "faith healers." If these phony prophets of God really could heal, why aren't they roaming the halls of the hospitals instead of roaming the stages of "churches" selling their goods?

3. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I certainly do. Heard enough stories to believe in it. Also I was once healed of a minor pain immediately after praying, and I felt at the time (and still do feel) that it was a result of the prayer.

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Yes, I do.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I do also and have experienced it. I do not believe in the crazy "knock them down" healing. Just praying and the "laying on of hands of the Elders".

I had a growth come on my head, I had just had heart surgery and neck surgery twice. I laid hands on myself and said "Lord, I just can't bear no more right now, please remove the large growth from my head". Two days later, it turned to like sawdust and fell out of my head. That is just one experience.
    A man was on Kidney dialisis and asked me to lay hands on him. He was removed from the Kidney dialisis and the Doctor asked him what happened and he told him, he asked his Pastor to "lay hands on him".

There have been many of those cases over the years and I certainly believe, but just simple prayer with the laying on of hands and not a "showy" type thing.

We practice the "laying on of hands" at our church, but it must be at the request of the afflicted one.

We do not ask if there is anyone who wants hands laid on them. It is never mentioned, unless the afflicted person makes a request.

BBob,

#5 Brother Bob, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. I don't believe seizures are evidence of it. (I had to get my anti-pentecostal barb in there sorry):praying:

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This sounds just like my church Bro. Bob. We do it just that way. The Pastor also uses oil.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have been asking this question for years. Never gotten an answer (from the faith healer crowd).
    My sister in law is caught up in charismania and uses the "enough faith will heal you" stuff. I mentioned to her once about Paul and how he prayed to have the thorn removed and God did not remove it. She had no answer.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe in miracles, healings, etc. I do not believe in 'gifts of miracles, healings, etc. The first today and always come from God according to His own will; the latter today from the devil and the biggest lying bunch of braggarts who ever lived.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

I believe that God can use his knowledge to manipulate this universe in ways that we can't understand but he doesn't seem to do it very often. Not often enough to be statistically detectable.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe in miracles and healings - and have experienced them for myself.

However, I don't believe that one person has the gift of healing for all time because that makes them the subject of worship from what I've seen. I do think that all believers have the ability to pray for someone and if it's God's will for that person, He can heal them through that prayer.

12. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I do not believe in miracles or healings. I believe in God :thumbs: . I believe he performs miracles and heals people.

13. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I wonder why some say that healing is not for the Church today and that it stopped when the Bible was written? I dont get that??

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I remember when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. One night I was standing on my front porch, all alone, and just started crying and prayed to God that He would not take her from me.
    That was 8 years ago. She is still here! She is in bad health, but it is not because of the cancer. Her doctor is still amazed every time she walks in his door. She was only supposed to live 1 year at the most, even with treatment.

The only faith healer that was present during my prayer was God Himself!

:godisgood:

Six years ago, I prayed and prayed that my father (75 years old at the time) would be saved. Three weeks before he died, a nurse led him to Christ.

Three years ago, I was going to have to have my dog put to sleep because he had hip displasia and had been on pain meds for 2 years. I had been told by more than one vet. that surgery would cost around $3000 and he would have to be taken to UT Med. Ctr. in Knoxville for treatment. Needless to say, I didn't have that kind of money for surgery, even though I loved my dog very much. The day came when I had to take him to the vet. for his shots and I knew that I would have to talk to the dr. about having Jack put to sleep. I cried and pleaded with God to save my dog. When I got to the vet., I saw a different dr. (there were several in the same office) and he said he could fix Jack's hips and would only charge me $300. He was only 5 years old at the time and even though that's a lot of money, I knew God had answered my prayer. Jack can't climb steps very well, but he runs and feels good and takes NO pain meds.

Oh well, I got carried away. I could tell of more, but I guess you know by now that I believe and have seen healings and miracles first hand!

I LOVE :jesus:

#14 Amy.G, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Yes, absolutly. I believe in miraculous healing, other forms of miracles, divine intervention, etc etc.

Words of knowledge, discerning of spirits, etc etc.

I have experienced them and have known many others who have as well.

My goodness, we have a 2000 year history of them happening!

:godisgood:

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. And I've never seen it happen to anyone else. Notice the little stories on this thread all have to do with diseases in remission, outliving a doctor's prognosis, et al. Let's see somebody with a missing arm or les grow another one-- that's about what it would take to convince me that any of these "miraculous" tales have validity.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sick is what the scripture talks about, not a missing arm. So, because God does not grant us that kind of miracles, you just will not believe in any. OK!

Jam 5:14Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

BBob,

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Are you saying that because you haven't seen miracles for yourself that the stories I related are not true? Just coincidence maybe?

Do you believe Paul healed and raised people from the dead? I do not believe in faith healers. I believe in God. God still heals and answers prayer, but not because some guy on a stage interceded for me. I can go straight to the throne! But sometimes He doesn't heal and that's hard to accept, but I know there is a purpose because I trust the Lord. So in all things, I give thanks.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How about a woman who had a baby - with a dead placenta? It has happened and that baby is now in our youth group. :)

How about someone having a clear tumor on a CT scan and the next day the doctors go to operate and it's not there? A follow up CT scan shows it's gone?

It's not about natural remission but even dumfounding the doctors.

20. knasmom

knasmom New Member

I agree. That would prove his existence, wouldn't it?

I believe that miracles happen but that we cannot differentiate them from statistical chance.

When I was 22 a series of unrelated minor accidents resulted in a nerve string in my left arem going from my elbow to my wrist being destroyed. I was left only able to move my thumb and index fingers. The other three fingers, permanently curled and imobile except for slight movement in the middle finger. I was told, after three months, there was very little hope as they couldn't get a response from the nerve string. They said the healing process progresses at an inch a month and would never make it to the hand in time to save the nerves in the hand. The plan was to wait a year to see if any of the nerve string regenerated from the elbow then remove the remainder of the string going into the hand. This would leave me with appx. a 25% chance of nerves regrowing and regaining some movement.

Because I worked with my hands, I ended up out of work and my mom, being my mom, took the opportunty to start hanging out at my house. As a results, we worked through a lot of issues. Then she, suddenly, died. Shortly after her death, I was practicing for a sunday school lesson I had to teach that had three points and, instinctively started counting off on fingers. I counted, one with my index finger, two with my middle finger (which wasn't totally paralyzed) and started to count three with ring finger and realized I'd moved it. To this day, they cannot get a response from the normal nerve string. I, apparently, grew another one that travels who knows where down my arm, in time to connect to the live nerves in the hand and spare movement in the three fingers.

It's very rare and unexplainable with the nerve string intact. My body should have tried to restore the existing nerve string not tried to grow a new one and it shouldn't have been able to grow that fast. Yet it, apparently, it did. Is it possible? Yes but highly unusual. However, timing can be a miracle. Having this happen when it did allowed me to resolve issues with my mom that would have haunted me my entire life. That this happened when it did is as much of a miracle as the fact I can move those fingers today.

They say the parting of the red sea may be the result of a tsunami but if you're an isrealite, trapped on one side by Pharoahs army and on the other by the red sea, it doesn't rightly matter. Timing can be a miracle.

#20 knasmom, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008