1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in Miracles, healings ext. ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like the cable commercial that says that 90% of people will beleive everything you say 50% of the time. I've worked with statistics and anything has a statistical chance of happening. God works Miracles. But you don't have to be weird to believe in it.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, and I sure wonder why. If God is all-powerful he can replace a missing arm or leg as easily as he can heal a disease. So what that shows is that it is no miracle; it's incentive to be prayed over, maybe oiled over, and be made a big fuss over. But if the whole process were miraculous, it would also work for a missing limb.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

One thing for sure, you will not have to worry about it, for it takes faith to work. If I was you, I would just not give it another thought.

BBob,

#23 Brother Bob, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

[​IMG]

Faith = The proof of the invisible and that which gives hope a consistency...

Paul not only got his answer, he accepted it... Same as Jesus did in the garden...

Php 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
    11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
    12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
    13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assure you, a miracle happening is not something I worry about. Do you?

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That all depends on your definition of the word miracle. I believe Man uses the word "miracle" to describe extraordinary events they can't other wise explain. In this category falls the substance of Gods work.

Mt 21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done. 22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Now I guess verse 22 is only limited by your understanding of the word "ALL". This is the single limitation I place on the word all;

1Jn 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, I am alive because of miracles. They gave me up for dead many years ago, told my wife to prepare for my death, that I would not live another 24 hrs. Well, by the mercies and miracles of God, I am still here.
    I pray for miracles all the time, that others might live longer. Yes, I do not worry about it, but I do expect it to happen. If its the Lord's will, it does. I am not in the miracle business, but the Lord is. :praying:

Bbob,

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anything in or of Christian Faith that is not Divine and therefore is not miraculous, inexplicable and possible only for Omnipotent God, is not Christian, is not faith. Everything Christian Faith, is faith, and Christ, and therefore miraculous, inexplicable and possible only for Omnipotent God. In that and in that only, do I believe when I confess, "I believe in God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Now here's the catch for believers of the 'gifts' of the miraculous today: Once you confess, I believe the Holy Spirit .... you're a fake! Because two, in fact three criteria, 'prove the spirits' whether they are of God or not. First, The spirit that witnesses to or of himself, is not the Spirit of Jesus Christ who also eminates from the Father. Two, The 'spirit' that does not do everthing required of it according to John 16, is a false and misleading into damnation spirit, especially if he does not convince of sins! Three, If a spirit is a proud spirit he is the spirit of the devil. By these tests any Christian shall know every spirit there might be. Fear none of them that do not answer all three criteria. There is only one Holy Spirit, you will fear God the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit once He meets with you. O yes, that was the fourth criterium. You cannot meet with Him; He shall meet with you.

#28 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Brother Bob, I think you hit the essence of it here. Many faith healers make it seem they are the ones who has some special power or ability to heal etc... They give the true children of God a bad stain when we take God at his Word.

I believe the confusion comes from 1 COR 12 where Paul says some have the gift of healing. What they fail to see are key verses that tell us Paul was really teaching on "recognizing" the Spirit being at work through man and not recognizing anything special about a man.

1 Cor 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom etc...

The Pentecostals believe speaking in tongues is a sign of one's state of salvation. Where I have not witnessed tongues but do not doubt speaking in tongues, don't see it as a sign of salvation and no credit should ever be given to the man. The difference being the Spirit at work through a Man vs. Man at work on behalf of the Spirit. The former meaning it is an average man being used by the Spirit as opposed to the later which implies some man who permanently carries some special gift given by the Spirit.

This is why I believe you hit the nail solidly on the head by saying, "I am not in the miracle business, but the Lord is." No truer words were ever said that give credit to the proper entity. God... :godisgood:

Lest I forget, "for His Name sake" preached by Dr PH Gholston.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Gerhard Ebersoehn; You said, to say I believe the Holy Spirit, you are a fake. Then you say, "try the Spirits to see if they are of God". If we are able to "try the Spirits to see if they are of God", then we must be able to know if they are of God. If, after trying the Spirits and finding they are of God and saying: "I believe the Holy Spirit", is not a fake, period. Even at your own reasoning. Either you is, or either you ain't!!!

If any man takes any credit upon himself, then I also say he is a fake.

Bbob,

#30 Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2008
  11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You seem to confuse the spirit with that being the third in the Godhead which is Spirit or Holy Ghost. Once you made that mistake there was no coming back.

If I recall, John 16 is Jesus teachings regarding the coexistence of the entities of the Godhead on earth. The key being the comforter will come... I will look at it when I get back but I don't believe it supports the rest of what you said. Perhaps you can give specific verses for us to discuss.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All I say, these are the four criteria or tests because the Scriptures say we must test the spirits whether they are of God or not:
    1) A self-atesting spirit is the false spirit;
    2) A spirit that convinces not of sin and judgment is a false spirit- no, is the false spirit;
    3) a pride spirit that makes you boast how many sick you have healed and how many dead you have raised, is the emination of the devil himself;
    4) the spirit that lets you take the initiative from God, is a disappointing spirit; he shall let you down - into hell down.

You have all the Word to confirm these four criteria by. And by the buy, it's the spirit of the drunkard who here a little there a little, mounts rule upon rule.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Gerhard Ebersoehn; I agree with you. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone say they were the healer, if any miracles is done, it is God who does it.

I for one and probably all on here do not believe in a showy prayer, asking God to heal someone. I never have thought I could pray, and right then it happens. God works in His own time.

I don't disagree with you at all about the evil spirits you speak of, I agree with you. I still believe God is in the miracle business.

BBob,

#33 Brother Bob, Jun 28, 2008
  14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And so do I believe. But here's a probable possibility of being fooled: "I could be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone say they were the healer, if any miracles is done, it is God who does it."
    Neither have I seen anyone among those 'healers' claim it was he who healed; no, say everyone of them bunch, it's the Spirit; but if not we prayed, He would not heal; nor would He, were it you who prayed, but anyone except the gifted to so pray.

No! What you say is true, "If any miracle is done, it is God who does it"; He needs nor asks for a gifted pray-er to heal. It is of God's own independent nothing awarding free will and grace He heals or does not heal.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I completely agree...

Although I question anyone who would accept the title "faith healer". Something about that name implies the faith is of the healer and not of the one being healed.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there a doctor who would sing an affidavit stating that it is an absolute impossibility for you to have survived to your present age?

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    Like Magnetic Poles, so do I believe! I have experienced them ordinarily every moment of my life so far, extraordinarily above anyone else - by grace I am saved! And super-extraordinarily abundently above count or measure. If anyone have proof of miracles, it's me. Not one as the reward for or included in the 'gift' every 'faith-healer' claims to possess and delegate.

#38 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They are all dead. Why does it bother you, when you are not a believer in miracles??

If I was dead, then you would know for sure there was no miracle, but I am alive. Have you ever felt "life" leaving your body and you are helpless to stop it. That is when you know for sure, who has the power and miracles to give.

BBob,

#39 Brother Bob, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How very convenient. They must have done a miracle transplant on you, so you got theirs and they croaked instead.

It doesn't bother me.

If you were dead, I'd have never read a peep about you.

No.