1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe the Church started at Pentecost?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Feb 13, 2010.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder what you would say to a Greek person reading a Greek bible. Would they need the English translation to understand it?

Anyway, here's an interesting comparison (i.e., comparing scripture with scripture):

Hebrews 9:19-20: For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, Saying, This [is] the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.

Exodus 24:6-8: And Moses took half of the blood, and put [it] in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient. And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled [it] on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

Did the writer of Hebrews change the Word of God?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I agree that the OT saints were promised a land.

I am not amil. Are you saying that the OT saints are not the church? That's what I'm saying.

Right the amils do think that and I disagree with them.

I somewhat agree with you.

So are we on the same side here? I have not had time to read all the comments.

3. olegig

olegig New Member

I believe the writer of Hebrews was God so therefore there is a meaning God left for us in that change.

But before we venture into new ground, we should finish the old ground with your expounding on the passage from Jeremiah 31:31-37.

I am especially interested in your gleaning from vs 35-37.

4. olegig

olegig New Member

I can tell you are not amillennial by you previous comments.
    Yes, I am saying the OT saints are not members of the Body of Christ, the Bride of Christ, which sometimes is referred to as the true Church (with a capitol C).

I somewhat agree with you.
    See, that's what I meant by my comment about women. You are drawing your conclusions about me based on what you see of me, not on what others have said about me.
    And I thank you for that.

Yes, I feel we are basically in agreement here.
    Again, it is my opinion that scripture maintains separation between the Jew, Gentile, and Church of God.
    That is 3 separate and distinct groups which scripture holds separate in message at various times and in prophetic outcome.

The above is one reason I am premillennial because that particular view is the only one that permits the maintenance of the separation even through until the new heaven and new earth.

5. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

6. olegig

olegig New Member

Here is an interesting verse I just came across while researching for another topic.
    Sometimes amazes me how things just jump out that never had much meaning before.

Hebrews 12:23 (King James Version)
    23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

The above would indicate 2 groups of folks in Heaven at that time period.
    1. the general assembly
    2. the church of the firstborn...............

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. Do you believe that God actually penned the words Himself or used a human being to do it? 2. For the record, I do not believe that the writer of Hebrews (God, as you say) changed the word of God, but apparently YOU DO as evidenced in your comment: "in that change". So, are you saying that God changed the Word of God?

Are you really interested in my gleanings? I don't think so. You've ignored several salient points I've made already, so why should I go on with this?

8. olegig

olegig New Member

No, I have stated that we could get to them after you first address what I first used as a proof text concerning your position.

You seem to be willing to jump in any direction to avoid dealing with what God said about the future of the seed of Israel in Jeremiah.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for your feedback.

Is it possible that "general assembly and church of the firstborn" are referring to one and the same? There's a term for this literary device but I can't recall it now.

10. olegig

olegig New Member

I suppose it is possible, and I suppose someone who would wish it to mean one and the same can force some literary device on the passage to make it read as they wish.

I note the passage does not say: ".....general assembly the church of the firstborn........"

11. BMAPreacher

BMAPreacher New Member

While the text does include the word "and" i believe the phrase general assembly refers back to the innumerable company of angels since "general assembly" is a greek word meaning a mass meeting. The phrase "church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven" is speaking of the true church, the bride, the phrase "souls of just men made perfect" are those that are saved but not part of the true church (the bride).

12. olegig

olegig New Member

BMAPreacher, glad to hear from you. On a personal note it seems you have been a member here; but have not posted much.
    I am wondering if you have been reading along for a long while and your impression of this place.
    Has there always been as much dissension as there seems to be now, or is it a recent event?

Thanks for your input on the Hebrew passage:

Hebrews 12:23 (King James Version)
    23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

I note in the above the passage says "spirits" and you said "souls", do you feel this makes any difference?

I do agree the phrase "church of the first born" is referring to the Bride and would like to hear your further thoughts on those who are "made perfect".

When do you feel the Body of Christ began and who might be in it?

13. BMAPreacher

BMAPreacher New Member

The KJV does say spirits and not souls, that was just mistyping on my part. I believe the Church began when Christ called His 12 Apostles in Luke 6, 1cor. 12:28 says he set some in the church first apostles. On the day of Pentecost the church was added to, something has to exist before it can be added to.
    My view on the bride is that she will be made of members of scriptural New Testament churches that have kept themselves pure with the washing of water by the word (Eph. 5:26, 27). Paul writes also, "I have espoused you (a local church) to one husband (IICor. 11:2) The spirits of just men made perfect, i believe, is speaking of those that are saved but were not part of scriptural churches.

When the Bible speaks of the word "church" it is always a local assembly and not an invisible, universal "church".

14. olegig

olegig New Member

No problem, I do see us as being triune just as the Godhead; but for now we cannot separate ourselves from the whole.
    I see the spirit going to Heaven at conversion, the soul going to Heaven at death, and the body going to the grave to be later resurrected and joined again with the soul and spirit; but made new.
    What do you think?

I agree for just because Paul said the Body was a mystery does not mean it was not present. It is just that no one knew the full ramifications of it.

Here I don't quiet follow your phrasing....
    What do you mean by "kept themselves"?

I feel the Body is made up of folks from many different denominations of local churches.
    They have believed the gospel message and received the free gift of salvation made possible by the Faith of Christ. Their body and soul was separated by the circumcision made without hands, and are daily washed and kept sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

How does this square with your previous statement above where you begin with: "I believe the Church began when Christ"?

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Whew! I was beginning to think I was all alone. Glad to know somebody else is out there who holds the same view as I do.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Glad to hear you also believe that the local church is the only kind. But your comment may be grist for another thread to discuss the following questions:

By definition, other denominations have some doctrines which are in error. How much error does it take to disqualify a congregation from being a true New Testament Church?

Which denominations would you consider to have scriptural congregations?

Which are not? Can a congregation hold to baptismal regeneration and still be considered a NT church? How about churches which attach saving value to communion?

BMAPreacher can answer for himself, but my take is that when Jesus established his church during his earthly ministry is was THE church--the only one there was at the time.

17. BMAPreacher

BMAPreacher New Member

I agree with this statement. Since that time the church at jerusalem has reproduced churches of like faith and order. Alot of the denominations that we have now are because they split from the Catholic church and brought some of her pagan and unbiblical doctrines along with them. But since the church wasfirst established there has always been churches that have held to the doctrines such as the trinity, justification by grace through faith, sola scriptura, seperation of church and state, eternal security of the believer, baptism by immersion, communion as a symbol, etc. even before the reformation

18. BMAPreacher

BMAPreacher New Member

I don't see any scriptural basis for that

They have rejected unbiblical doctrine

19. olegig

olegig New Member

To which do you refer?

20. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Ok Tom, we could argue that Paul was talking generically of the entire global body of Christ and not specific local congregations when he speaks of "a body" or you so it is a mute point.

But what you have said still does not tell me why he specifically says there is but one body as there is one Lord, one faith and one baptism...what did he mean then?