1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Aug 15, 2005.

?
  1. Yes - God and His word are everlasting.

100.0%
  2. Only the New Testament. The old is irrelevant now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not really. A lot of it was based on society of the day and doesn't apply any more.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I met someone once who said that the Lord's Prayer didn't apply today. I've seen similiar statements in various ways from other Christians regarding views that God no longer interacts with people.

So I was wondering how people really perceive God and God's word.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's completely wrong to say that the Lord's Prayer doesn't apply today. Now, how we apply the Lord's Prayer is a different story. There are some folks who say that we must include the Lord's Prayer as a part of every worship service. I think that requiring such is a bit extreme.

I think we need to apply what Jesus tells us in the Lord's Prayer. The ways we apply that are diverse and copious.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I agree with you John V.

I had visited a friend, and gone to their church with them. When the Sunday School teacher started out with that speech, I kept waiting for the punch line, the, "Of course it still applies," but it never came. So I asked around, and I was stunned to find other people who said they love Christ and said they read their bible tell me they didn't think it applied anymore.

Personally, I think it would be a much, much better world if we applied it more often.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Exactly what about the Lord's prayer do these people believe does not apply to believers today? I would think it was mainly preterists that had a problem with the Lord's prayer, seeing as they believe the kingdom has already come.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Whomever said that must think they no longer need to be taught how to pray??? Maybe they're thinking, because we have the Holy Spirit, that we don't need 'praying' guidance. If that were so, why is it in scripture. God certainly must have wanted us to hear this model prayer.

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

why is it in scripture
    I want to frame those words Diane. I hear so many things in scripture just "washed over" and "ignored" and "not taught" I want to shout, "God put it there for a reason!"

John,

I don't think I would explain their view even if I could because I would be afraid someone would read it and accept it. It would be like spreading their fungus. I literally went away with this paranoid "I must have just been in the presence of Satan," feeling. Who else would teach that kind of lesson in a church?

It was not a Church of Christ, but the view was similiar to somethings I sometimes hear from the Church of Christ. That teachings actually made by Christ only applied until His death and resurrection.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

To give another perspective, I have always found it fascinating that Jesus gave that prayer as a model, but explicitly said to not have repetitive prayers. Yet, people disregard his words and repeat the model from rote memory rather than from the heart. I believe that is the danger of memorized prayers...they become meaningless sounds after so long.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

1 Timothy 6:3-4
    3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
    4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings.

The idea that the Lord's teachings were only to be applied to the brief period of His earthly ministry is wholly in error.

9. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

The second covenant is different from the first. There are certainly cases where the Old Testament does NOT apply.
    Exd 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
    Lev 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him [again].
    Deu 19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; [but] life [shall go] for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.
    Zec 8:17 And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath: for all these [are things] that I hate, saith the LORD.

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have [thy] cloke also. Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus was not doing away with an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. The eye for an eye thing was a call for justice because people were taking 2 eyes for an eye, or an eye and a hand for an eye, or a life for an eye. An eye for an eye means justice.

Jesus was calling for people to go beyond that justice, not do away with it, and act compassionately and sacrificially.