1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you bring your Bible to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 16, 2013.

?
  1. I bring my iPhone or iPad

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. I rely on the screen to be my Bible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I bring my Bible (KJV, NKJV, NIV, ESV, NASB)

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I've said for years that I think this is dangerous especially for the next generation.

Agree here too.

I understand the young set of preachers and using their iPads, etc. But there's just something about a pastor using a iPad or any notebook instead of anactual physical Bible that bothers me.

It comes across as a bit antiseptic and cold, void of any real, get down dirty into the word of God relationship.

When I see a pastor with his Bible, I feel as though he has spent time searching God's wordand listening to God for a word to give to His people. With notebooks/pads, I always feel like a pastor just got online and looked up a bunch of information and is now regurgitating it to me.

It just seems to detract from the personal relationship with God and His Living word.

I don't believe that to be a positive thing for this generation or the next because it opens the door for laziness where people will simply accept what is being said.

Part of worship is making a personal connection through that word. I think not bringing an actual Bible will give some an opening to grow more intrigued with technology than with God and His word.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't think it's much of a problem for the older generation. We're gonna bring our Bibles even if you say to not bring them. If I'm going to God's house, I'm bringing a Bible. :laugh:

I think it's the younger generation with which we need to be careful.

Definitely. But there needs to be a balance or we're going to make a generation of very lazy Christians. I think it's already evident in the way the average Baptist Church does witnessing. Everybody wants to invite folks to church and let the pastor do the witnessing instead of doing it themselves. We need to be carful of this "we'll conveniently do it all for you" attitude.

They can HEAR the word by the pastor opening his Bible and reading it to them. :laugh:

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I bring a Bible and an iPad and the words are projected also. Projected words are fantastic for pointing them out to the deaf and explaining what they mean. Most deaf do not read a printed Bible but they WILL watch the Bible in ASL.

http://www.bible.is/deaf is a great resource!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Has anyone said that you are not allowed to bring a Bible???

We need to be careful in what way?

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

We've got a Deaf Ministry at our church. She is generally signing as the Scripture is being read or shown on the screen.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And bringing an electronic device that has the bible on it -- be it a cell phone, tablet, or e-reader -- is not "bringing a bible"?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's wonderful. Any idea how many of them carry a printed Bible? My experience has been that very few do- usually if they are leaders of the ministry they do, but the members do not.

And, I can almost certainly guarantee you that that is the only time the deaf "read" the Bible during the week, unless they use a video Bible (or video devotional), are more "hearing" than "deaf", or have exceptional English skills.

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

No offense, Zaac, but these are all personal perceptions that don't have any real validity outside of your own set of standards. What you feel isn't what I feel, and vice versa. I've got no problem with what form the Word is in that the teacher or pastor studied, as long as he studied.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. I also think it's useful to put the words to the hymns up on the screen (gasp!) for those people that don't know the songs or don't want to use a paper bound hymnal book. With both the Bible verses and the hymns it causes non-participants to at least read the words.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No one in charge of anything. :laugh: But you know how some folks are. They want to know why you're carrying your Bible to, for example, a night of praise and worship if the pastor isn't gonna preach. They'll say you can leave that in the car.

In letting them become too dependent on somebody else doing what they should be responsible for. As I mentioned , it's like everyone inviting people to church to get the pastor to talk to them instead of them talking to them. Putting Scripture up is just another way of "we'll do it for you" when we probably really shouldn't be.

As evangelist said, I think we need to have folks opening a Bible ever opportunity we get. A real paper and bindings Bible with which they can become intimate with the words and the God of the words.

There's something about being able to look back at a Bible that you've scribbled all sorts of things in that's encouraging to the Christian walk I believe.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, here you are wrong! Zaac is the conscience and keeper of all Church-Correctedness, or CC.

12. Ternera

Ternera New Member

Hi everybody,
    I am not really active on this board, but still, maybe my input will be useful. Although I prefer an electronic Bible to study at home and find it very convenient to use, I always bring a paper version with me when going to the church. This is not because an electronic version is not appropriate for the church, or because I am concerned about being distracted. In my opinion, it is important to be visible for the non-believers, and one of the ways to do so is going to the church with a paper version of the Bible in your hands.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure it is. I just don't think we should encourage it as opposed to a traditional Bible. Told yall I am ultra-conservative. :laugh:

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice post. Yes, this is one of the reasons I carry a Bible to church as well.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You know that you can do that on apps as well - and search on them too!! I agree that I love running into notes that I've put in my Bible but then again I know many people who refuse to write in their Bibles but will put extensive notes in their electronic Bibles.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I clicked iPad even though I loathe Apple products and use a kindle fire or Motorola tablet. I have never seen anyone use it for anything but the message, BTW.

If we are going to be that legalistic on what should be used, we need to stick with the original method of using scrolls.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think the margins are big enough to make notes on....

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo! The bible app I use allows me to make notes for verses, or keep a journal of particular topics where I group verses, or even work on sermon outlines...and it's interesting to go back through and click on the notes and see what I've gotten from different pastors at different churches and places.

19. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are speaking about unbelievers. I was talking about believers. Pew Bibles are great for unbelievers.

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe not as "ultra-conservative" as you'd like us to believe...but I'll agree that you're an "ultra-traditionalist"....:tongue3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.