1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you cuss?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 31, 2009.

?
  1. Heck No. (But replace it with satan's abode)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. I say the butt curse word.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. I say the word in Hoover Dam.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. I say the word Fudge as depicted on A Christmas Story

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. I will say the female dog.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. I will say forms of the word for manure.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. I will say forms of the liquid manure.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. Other words I say (don't really say it..:D)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. I will say replacement words (not the actual words)

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  10. Seriously, I don't curse.

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Again, I ask:

If I say "everything that man said was bulls***", why is that profane babbling, but "everything that man said was hose manure" is not? Why is one to be considered a bridled tongue, but the other not?

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Sure it is profane. There are more intelligent was to say it. I prefer "hog waler" :smilewinkgrin:

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That doesn't answer the question. Why is one sinful, and the other not?

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

John;
    Words can offend and words can comfort. Isn't it better to comfort than to offend? The words you site are offensive, there are better words to use that might educate someone whose words are, let just say, are less than truthful. Now wouldn't that be better than saying bull****?
    Matthew 18:7
    7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Any word used that does not edify is indeed sinful whether that is a simple phrase like, "horse manure" or "hog wash" or bull whatever.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree, but that doesn't answer the question as to why we should consider "bs" a sin to use, but "bull manure" not.

That passage isn't referring to cussing per se.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

With God sin is sin and it doesn't matter whether man lightens a word to make it more acceptable or not, to offend someone by Jesus' own words passes woe upon those that do. Therefore my post above, does answer your question. Neither phrase is an acceptable use of language. If the use of such phraseology offends it is a sin.
    The above verse is pertinent to our discussion because it does cover offenses. :thumbsup:

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then, you would agree with me that it's not the words per se, but the intent and the content, that determine whether it's a sin or not.
    Not quite. Matt 18 referrs to causing other people to sin via one's actions. It's not referring to whether one's lanquage offends another per se.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So, if you were to characterize my conversation with you as "hog wash" and I hauled off and said that you were "full of it", that would not constitute an offense? Face it John, you can not walk around that verse, as it is contextual to our discussion.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's not what the passage is talking about. The passage AS A WHOLE referrs to causing other people to sin via one's actions. I'm afraid you're guilty of verse-lifting here: Taking a single verse and removing it from its context.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

You can't walk around it John. I am at peace with all that I have stated on this thread and have backed it up with scripture. The conviction is on you my friend and when we are convicted, repentance is the only remedy. :wavey::wavey:

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's nothing to walk around. The verse doesn't apply, because the passage is addressing something completely different than the use of one's words.
    That presumes sin. I'm not guilty of any sin here. I'm simply asking why some consider one word to be "cussing" but others in the same context to not be cussing. My view is that it's a matter of the heart, and that if your heart is the same when you're using words like "darn" or "dadgummit", then you're guilty of cussing just the same as using harsher words.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

For some strange reason, I fell like that is what I have been saying all along. :BangHead:

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You and I agree on the "heart" issue of what constitutes cussing. We just differ on the verse you were referring to. I'm okay with that.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

Just thought I could add this:
    [​IMG]

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Bwahahahhaah.

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, I happen to be both an Auburn Tigers and a Philadelphia Eagles fan.

Born and raised in LA (that's Lower Alabama, not the other LA with all of the liberals and other weirdos out west), lived in the South Jersey area for twenty-five years.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Then try this one on for size. If it doesn't fit then don't argue with me, I'm just the messenger.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Col 3 is contextually correct. It's condemning filthy language. But it's condemning it in the context of anger and malice. So again, we're left with the context of a word used, and not just a word itself. Hence, a word often considered "dirty" might not be a sin in some usages, while a "clean" word used maliciously might be a sin in such a context. It again comes down to a matter of the heart, and how one intends to use one's language, rather than the words themselves.

#58 Johnv, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

No doubt. Bolding mine. :thumbsup:

20. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let go of all anger, clamor and evil speaking.
    A softanser turneth away wrth gievous words stir up anger.
    Faithgirl