1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you ever get doubts and discouraged?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Thinkingstuff, May 3, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When I was in the Air Force I was very involved in OCSC which I guess has changed its name since then. The first missionary in this group I met was Old Jesse Miller a great guy who wanted to share the gospel. He had set up a hospitality house for the base guys and held bible studies. I remember we had a great group of on fire guys who took the opportunity to share with other members on base despite the difficulties we faced with sharing the gospel. We had some successes and many more failures but the fellowship grew. Jesse Miller soon left and we got another missionary couple that really kept the momentum going. During that time during both hardship and joy I developed long lasting relationships with my christian brothers and sisters in the Air Force. And even when assigned to different countries and situations we all kept close contact. Two of these men are on my mind a lot lately. We had left the Service and went on our own ways as civilians. These two men were a great witness for the lord and men I always took encouragement from as they lived their faith being a bold witness to those around them. I was never quiet so bold but I did witness when I had the opportunity. Both these guys got married and had children. Then after several years I find out that both men left their families and some how felt it was God leading their lives. In a way it crushed me. I cannot fathom how a person can be on fire then "sense" that God would want them to just pick up and leave their wives. Both me spoke to me to attempt to "get" me on their side. But I just quoted scripture and asked them how they felt that God would cause them to sin against their own families. Its not like they don't know the scriptures. I wonder if its part of their midlife crisis. One of them I wonder if it was desert storm that did it. He's been in and out of the VA hospitals. I feel as though I've lost not only two good friends but brothers in the lord.
    I use to look up to their behavior and testimony and in some ways immulate them. Now I'm discurage by their behavior and as I go through scripture and find critical techniques and find there are all sorts stuff that I question nagging thoughts enter my head like how accurate is this stuff? After all the apostles relied on some information that we consider fiction. Jesus can be questioned by this verse
    . And many other missed prophesy transcription errors. How effective is being born again when guys like this can rationalize sin. I knew several missionary kids while growing up and one committed suicide. And I seem to be getting into this spiral of doubt and discouragement. At time I get Erhman. Science questions the theology of death. And many more things.
    In the end I'm getting tired of theology. And feeling. Well, just tired.

#1 Thinkingstuff, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There used to be times when such failures by Christians I looked up to would nearly crush me.
    Time and life experience, along with the wise advice to always, ALWAYS be prepared to be disappointed by the behavior of ourselves and other human beings, has led me to a place where I can be hurt, surprised, and disappointed in such actions, but it no longer shakes my faith.

I know by reading your posts that you take things to heart and don't simply accept what is presented by people and books. That is awesome, but learning stuff always causes more questions. People like us tend to have richer, deeper experiences and emotions, and that can lead to quite a wild ride in this life.

Quit being afraid because you have questions. Having questions does NOT mean you are doubting, and sometimes doubting doesn't always mean you have to question the entire faith. Often you have come across one verse or one doctrine that you need to study out. That's not bad. It's how we grow. Think about it...the deeper you question, the stronger your faith when you find the answer. And there's always an answer. I've come to almost despair before over the seeming flawed logic and contrasting scriptures I came across, but when I kept studying, I kept finding that the mistake was my own or that of a theologian or person, not the scripture.

When my three oldest kids were young, I used to have them do stuff once in a while that seemed stupid. Two of them pretty much just listened to me and didn't question. I'd say something like "close your eyes and open your mouth." Or I'd have them fall backwards off a ledge and promise to catch them. One questioned me. She struggled, and even after being caught over and over, it still took her years to fall backwards into my arms, or close her eyes and trust that all I was doing was giving them a piece of candy.

But guess which ones now trusts me the most and is most likely to seek my advice when she has a problem?
    The one who questioned me the most. The one who struggled. It wasn't anything *I* did, either, because I did the same thing with all three of them. It was because she took the initiative to work that out. She didn't just walk away and say she didn't want to try, she got upset and made the attempt and asked the questions and didn't just blindly accept things.

Learning is lifelong. Maybe you need to step back from it for a VERY short time and mentally refresh, but then get back to it! It's fun. It makes life worth living.

And THANK YOU for not being a drone. Drones can be sooo boring....:sleep:

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish I could say something to make you feel better TS; it makes me sad to see you discouraged, and yes I've been there for similar reasons.

This is off topic, but, right now I am dealing with my elderly parents, and it can be very discouraging to me when I dwell on it; I just take it as it comes.

4. JMSR

JMSR New Member

People will disappoint you in some way or another. I'm learning that God's will is perfect, scripture is inerrant, and neither is affected by our ability to conform to it. I attended a men's retreat this past weekend and it was a great encouragement to me to dig deep and find what God wants from ME, and not focus on anyone else. :godisgood:

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have constant doubts (not about being saved) and am discouraged all the time.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It seems to me that if you have doubts about being saved that you're moving in the right direction. Not that you aren't saved but evidence that you love the lord and wanting to be right with him, which is salvation.

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

If you're saved and doubt it at times, that is exactly what the devil wants. We are saved by grace through faith and not by our goodness. If I was trusting in my goodness, then I would definitely doubt my salvation.

However, it is the Lord God in whom I put my trust and not myself.

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure that doubting is always the opposite of faith, sometimes it is part of faith. As someone once said, it's the ants in the pants of faith. In other words, when there is doubt, it makes us re-live and re-think our faith more than ever before. At the end of the day, it deepens & strengthens our faith so much more than if there was never any doubt at all.

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I believe one can be discouraged and not have doubts, but I do not believe one can have doubts and not be discouraged.