1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you ginosko Jesus Christ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, May 17, 2008.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you know Jesus Christ?

Before you answer to quickly, be sure to look up the definition given for this kind of "know" we are speaking of (ginosko). It is found throughout the scriptures.

Strong's defines this word as follows....a prol. form of a primary verb: to "know" (absolutely) in a great variety of applications and with many impl.

"to know (absolutely)"

So the OP question is then asking if you know (absolutely) Jesus Christ?

Jesus told us this about His sheep, Jhn 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my [sheep], and am known of mine.

In both "know" and "known" Jesus uses this word "ginosko" which means "to know absolutely".

So can you say you absolutely know Jesus Christ?

Does this absolute knowledge of Jesus Christ then in anyway conflict with the living by faith in Jesus Christ?

Strong's defines "faith" (pistis [Gk] ) as a persuasion. i.e. credence; mor. conviction (of relig. truth, or the truthfulness of God or a relig. teacher). espec. reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstr. constancy in such profession; by extension. the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself---assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

If Jesus states (and He does) His sheep know (absolutely) Him, then is the "faith" we have in Him then made a permanent part of the gift of regeneration? Is this faith now unescapeable, however pliable, as in it can be week and it can be strong but it will always be?

God created man with muscle. Man can cause this muscle to be week or cause this muscle to be strong. This is not the perfect analogy but is our faith somewhat the same? Are we given a permanent faith in Christ at regeneration and then from there it is shaped and formed both by our actions and intents (works) and by the Holy Spirit working in us?

God Bless! :thumbs:

2. Darren

Darren New Member

Clarify more. To fully understand God one would have to BE God. I don't even fully "know" my best friend, not THAT well anyway.

What do you mean?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I hope I gnosko Him. I desire to epignosko Him.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done a few things in my time that are not to be proud of, but I don't think I've ever ginoskoed anybody.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When you say "fully" you are kinda changing up the question. You do know your friend, correct?

When the definition of "ginosko" says "to know (absolutely) " , I take that as emphasising that you know that you know. You are sure of what you know. Do you know your best friend? You would say "absolutely". Not that you absolutely know everything there is to know about your friend but you absolutely do know your best friend.

Does this make any sense?

6. Darren

Darren New Member

Perfect sense. Yes. I know that I know God.

(If anyone else here understood that, what's with all the nerviousness? Anyone here not think he's part of God's family.)

I was afraid to say anything because to say I KNOW God, as in, understand Him, is next to blasphemy. I am not his teacher or equal that I should KNOW Him. However, to know Him as my Father, indeed I do.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So I then asked in the latter part of the OP, does this knowing Jesus Christ conflict with faith in Jesus Christ? Some have implied that one cannot know Jesus in this absolute knowing sense and at the same time have faith in Jesus.

8. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Steaver,

Yes. Absolutely. Jesus Christ is as real to me as the air that I breathe.

Grace and peace,

Mike

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen!

When I get up in the morning and think about the things I must do this day, I don't find myself saying "Oh, yea I almost forgot, i need to believe Jesus Christ is Lord".

I don't think about breathing, or telling my heart to beat or my stomach to digest my food. These things are simply a part of my being just as faith in Christ is part of my being. I don't see anyway to escape faith in Christ.

How can I not believe in that which I absolutely know is a truth? I would be a liar to say to someone that I do not believe in that which I absolutely know is true.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Praise Him! :wavey:

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God Bless! :jesus:

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello :wavey:

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Interesting..........

Now were has HP gone off to?

:wavey:

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see you are back HP. Would enjoy your comments!

God Bless! :wavey: