1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you give FREE Food on Potlucks?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Eke! I feel offended just at the thought of money being charged! :laugh: I've never heard of that.

There were times when my kids were little and I wouldn't have been able to bring stuff all the time. Shoot, there are times on occasion NOW when it wouldn't happen. It wasn't that long ago when I didn't make something (we eat EVERY week, nah nah nah nah boo boo...) and sometimes I cook, sometimes I pick something up, and we got a flat tire. So then what? LOL Tired, hungry, all the money went to the new tire, so the late people with the dirty hands and no money would be judged for wanting to eat and not pay? HRM? :p

It's just bad form. The least money changing that can go on in the church, the better. In a place where people are right, the needs get taken care of. It shouldn't have to turn into what it so often turns into. And a few potlucks where there isn't enough food tends to remind people they're all a vital part of the BRING FOOD process anyhow. :thumbs: I was in a small church and saw it play out where a number of people honestly forgot as we hadn't talked about it in a while, so there wasn't much. People just ran out and bought stuff. The pastor ran and got a bucket of KFC, which lasted about two seconds, but we suspect it wasn't as full when he got back to the church as it was when he bought it. Mhm. ROFL

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I question why you need it "The Pot Luck Church Dinner" in the 1st place. Im not a fan much less pay for the dishes brought in in the 1st place. Jeeze, some of these churches make it a weekly occurrence even.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I think you mistake what kind of meal it is. If the church is providing the meal without expecting contributions to the menu from members, it isn't a potluck. Many churches do a midweek fellowship meal before Wednesday Bible studies and prayer meetings. Even so, if there is a charge, it is minimal and is probably done to pay the kitchen staff, even though they also are church members. Sure they could volunteer, but having to do this every week, as many churches do, it isn't fair that they go unremunerated for their services.

Obviously I don't know about where you are from, but I've known IFB and so-called "Bible churches" (aren't we all supposed to be "Bible churches"?) to do the same thing I just described.

If it is indeed a potluck, where everyone brings a dish, of course there shouldn't be a charge. But if it is an organized, weekly event (mostly I've seen them on Wednesdays) and the church is providing all the food, there isn't a thing in the world wrong with charging a small fee to cover the time and energy expended by the cooks. And that small fee doesn't damage the fellowship, either. Every church I know of that does what I've described takes into account the inability of some not to pay, and therefore doesn't require them to do so.

#43 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, because it is a donation - not a purchase. In every church that I've ever gone to who have done these, the total money goes directly to the thing they are raising money for and rarely to cover the cost of the food.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My parents Reformed Baptist Church does a weekly potluck and never charges a dime to anyone. I would also go there but they are in another state.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did that happen & why did that happen?

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Why not, EWF?

The weekly thing at the one small Baptist church I was in, the way we did it was really nice. Like a family.
    We came in the morning with stuff, often plugging it in to keep warm. We had services, then we would all just stay, eat, play games, kids running on the lawn playing tag, some of us might clean, talk, do whatever, then eventually it would end up being time for evening services.

Sunday was a complete day of fellowship in all ways. It wasn't a day to drive there, worry about going home and going back or feeding people at home. It was spent with your brothers and sisters, being away from the world, learning together, eating together, playing together, enjoying that for one beautiful day a week.

I can't imagine if we'd have suddenly said "oh, btw, staying for the food will be five dollars. LOL It just wouldn't...fit with the whole concept of what being together is all about.

I don't know that many churches even get what being together once a week is all about. Seems more like a business or a weekly show anymore, with profit lines and such. It's crazy. Weird. Just not normal.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea how. But the why is that they value fellowship, and want everyone to be there regardless if they can bring food.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not following. I would agree that seeker churches operate like a business but not every church does. But the rest o the post you will need to explain. Whats EWF?

Oh I see after reading your post again. This practice is very rare.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ECFA Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability

"The essential fact is that the givers are being given an opportunity to receive something of value in exchange for a minimum contribution. The term “suggested donation” or “for your gift of” does not change that situation. The fair market value of the premium must still be deducted from the contribution. Only if the organization makes an item available to all requesting it—without any reference to or connection with a minimum or suggested donation—would there be any basis for not treating the premium as goods or services provided in exchange for contributions. There may be sales tax implications in some states if a transaction is, in substance, a sale of goods or services."

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

Completely inapplicable to the church meal. This section of the ECFA guidelines refers to people giving charitable gifts to the church, not the church giving to the people. Not even close, so definitely no cigar.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure its nice every once and a while, but Id never sanction it done weekly. I have my own family & I prefer spending my time with them, (alone).

#52 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it takes away from your own family time....that I believe needs to be spent in intimacy with family members & not with church members. There are other activities that could better develop fellowship.....unless you have nothing better to do but sit around each week with a church.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Time alone? With the teens? But they...scare me! And we do so well just texting. :laugh:

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Best post of the thread. I think pot lucks ON OCCASION are a good form of fellowship. There are a few qualifiers to that however. Everyone who is a member should be participating by bringing a dish. Guests who happen to be visiting the church on that given Sunday should be invited with open arms at no charge. The ones who ruin pot lucks are those members who only show up on those Sundays, and those who never bring a dish, offer to set up the tables, prepare the food, or clean up. For some odd reason, they think they are entitled to eat and run, and someone else will clean up. Another character that the church could do without on such occasions is the ones who think they are entitled to make 50 take home meals out of the leftovers and take them for themselves.

We all have experienced the 300 pound slobs that stuff their guts with food so fast that one cannot understand what they say as they try to talk and eat at the same time. In fact, sometimes you will even pick up a conversation of them talking about other people's habits, such as drinking or gambling, while they are stuffing their fat faces.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You speak a lot of the fat Baptist slobs stuffing their faces. There are no 300 lbs fat slobs at my church. Maybe it's different up here on the mountain. Thinner air? :laugh:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh you didnt tell me that......but in all reality, those are the ones that need the parents love & strong hand & show of concern probably more than the little ones.

My only son is now 22 & Im still active in mentoring him. He was adamant about working for one specific dealership not to long ago & so I made it a point to tell him that he should keep his options open & take interviews with other dealers in the area. My wife got him an interview with another place in the next town & so he took the interview. Its inconsequential whether he gets the job or not, but that he was willing to stretch himself to improve his life. I'm proud of him for that. And I guess my point is, always remain active & involved in your kids lifes.....down line I believe they will respect & appreciate you for taking that time to care.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Mine are older teens and they read here sometimes so I had to do that for them, hehe - I'm not afraid of them, but we do like our time apart sometimes! My oldest is also moved out, but calls for advice and such. She's a doll! :love2: (and the poor thing had to deal with mom for a teacher at home, then mom at her school or in her classroom in later years when she went to regular school) Can't be afraid of teens and work with them, lol, but I think they do sometimes try to scare us with their antics! :laugh:

Sorry, bunny trailing. Potlucks. Hate the name. Like when they're done right. Dislike the idea of ever having to pay or even mentioning it! Also like when everyone likes what I brought. Dislike having to learn different tastes in different states and people asking "what is this" when it's a perfectly normal food and they act like it came from outer space and is sooo interesting and strange. HA!

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of those around here in Colorado. I have never lived anywhere with so many bunnies. I am not used to them! But they are adorable creatures.