1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you give.....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Nov 29, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

....money to road side panhandlers (e.g., "Will Work For Food")?

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I've never given money, but I have given food. If I give money, who knows how they'll spend it. Maybe on food, maybe on booze, maybe on drugs. But if I give them food, I know I've helped them without the possibility of me enabling an addiction.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I passed one the other day in Jacksonville at the red light holding a sign saying, "Homeless Veteran - Need Food - God Bless"........talking on a Cell Phone.

4. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO, but I would offer them food, but in many cases they are not interested in leavng their spot where they get free money to go eat.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Nope, not as a general rule.

1. I usually don't carry money.

2. I have seen a few, when done, walk to their car and get in it.

3. I work with homeless women, and often the "expectation" is harsh.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't judge them on that because it could be that someone drove them there and left their cellphone with them to call to pick them up. Or it could be one of those free prepaid phones that some on government assistance get. I knew a lady who drove up in a Caddy to a food pantry but it turns out she worked for a family and it was the family's car that she was allowed to use for errands. The woman truly was poor.

But to answer the OP, I give food. I'll ask if they want a bottle of water or a cup of coffee and a sandwich. I'm more than happy to give them a meal if I'm able to.

7. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

No! I call the police

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one I see most is "I want a beer." so no I don't.

9. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Money, no.

Food, yes.

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

When I was nineteen and out of a job I caught a greyhound and went to visit my twin sister whose husband was stationed in N.F. Virginia to try to get a job with the railroad. At one bus station while waiting to connect with another bus a young man came up to me and explained he didn't have a job and needed money to buy food. I had probably fifteen dollars in change in my pocket so I just emptied my pockets and gave it to him. I never will forget the look of surprise in his face as he looked me straight in the eyes and thanked me very much. When he left me he continued to panhandle with other people. I told my brother-in-law about this experience when I arrived and he said I had fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book. I was green off of the farm in those days and didn't know what a panhandler was but I still like to think, maybe he did need the money.