1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you go?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by SaggyWoman, Jun 9, 2005.

?
  1. Christian Only

9.8%
  2. Secular Only

73.2%
  3. Both

2.4%
  4. What are you talking about?

14.6%
  5. I don't go to concerts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you go to concerts?

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only do I go to CCM concerts, but I play in classical band concerts as a semi-pro member of the Philadelphia Biblical University Symphonic Band.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Not sure what is meant by "secular" as a voting option.

I guess that going to symphony orchestra concert would be considered "secular," unless perhaps they might play selections from something like Handel's Messiah or something like that.

4. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I go to shows once every other month or so.

I intend to see Beck and The White Stripes this year.

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I go to both secular and christian concerts, but more secular.

Regarding secular, anymore about 99% of them would be bluegrass music festivals. Of course, just about all bluegrass bands do some "gospel" numbers, but these festivals would still fall into the category of "secular" I guess.

Some secular bands that were my favorites back in my younger years are still playing music...the Allman Brothers Band, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, etc...but I have absolutly no interest in going to the concerts anymore. I do buy new records they put out...if they get a good review.

I dont hardly go to any CCM concerts because most of CCM is so very "Pop" music oriented, and I have (((ZERO))) interest in any form of Pop music...even christian. I will go see someone like Phil Keaggy or Iona if they are somewhere close, because neither are Pop and both do a substantial amount of instrumental improvisation. And if I found out that, lets say, a group of Vineyard musicians were going to be playing a Winds of Worship style worship service at a church somewhere I would be interested...again because some improvisation would no doubt be part of it.

God bless,

Mike

6. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

The categories are a bit broad.

"Christian" - Southern Gospel, Classical/Sacred - Yes. // CCM - NO

"Secular" - Rock of any kind - NO // Symphony - yes

So, I guess I should have checked "Both", instead of "What are you talking about?"

I rarely go, because the budget won't allow it. If it is a no charge event, I may go.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

baptistteacher,

Actually, although I have no interest whatsoever in classical music, I think some of it might be considered "christian". One of the really important guys in classical music...Bach, Beethovan, Mozart, etc...was a christian and it seems like I rememeber reading somewhere that he put something at the closing of everything he wrote, in his own laguage(whatever it was) that meant "To God be the Glory"...or something like that.

Mike

8. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Mike(D28guy),

J.S.Bach is the composer who signed all of his compositions (sacred & secular)SDG(Sola Glori Deo, to God be the Glory Alone!). [​IMG]

In Christ,

Dale

9. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Dale,

Thanks! I knew it was one of those important figures in classical music.

And actually, I spoke incorrectly in my post. I said I have no interest in classical music. What I meant to say was I have no interest in "symphony" style classical music.

I have a couple of solo classical guitar recordings by Andres Segovia that I really enjoy, and sometimes I enjoy some of those small groups that play classical music. 4 or 5 instruments. I enjoy listening that sometimes.

(I believe its called "Chamber Music"...is that correct?)

God bless,

Mike

10. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Mike,

You're Welcome! And,you are correct in calling some the music played by groups of 4+ musicians "chamber music" since the form grew out of nobles (barons,princes,etc.)having musicians play in rooms in their castles dedicated to music and entertainment.

There are also "chamber orchestras",usually made up of 10-40 musicians as opposed to the 100 member orchestras of today.

I like Andres Segovia too. Have you listened to Christopher Parkening,Julian Bream,John Williams,and Liona Boyd,all classical guitarists?

On the contemporary side,I like Ottmar Liebert, Craig Chaquito,Esteban,Charlie Byrd,Luiz Bonfa,Al De Meola,Paco De Luca.

In Christ,

Dale

11. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

I enjoy almost all types of music. ( I don't care for RAP , I don't understand Opera, and JAZZ doesnt really do much for me)... but I like Rock and County, Southern Rock and Gospel, Bluegrass and Classical, R&B, Soul, Blues,Contempory Christian, Disco, Ragtime, Dixieland,etc etc... Music from the 1700's, 1800's 1920's 30's 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's and 2000's ...So if the opportunity to go to a concert arises whether it be in a Church , or a Civic Center, or a Music Festival ...I go. The way I see it...you know your beliefs and it is impossible to segregate yourself from all the bad things there are in the world so expierience life to the fullest and enjoy the good and dont participate in the things that go against your beliefs. We are all human beings with Human feelings ...and Love is the subject of most music whether it's the Love of God or the love of the opposite Gender. Or Love gone wrong.

12. patrioticcamerican

Well, I hope I answered the question right. I don't go to concerts very often, but I put both because I sometimes go to orchestra/piano style concerts at college, although those usually have one or two Christian hymns in them. Otherwise, I would go to some Southern Gospel concerts (Inspirations are going to be near my hometown in July). As some people on this board probably know already...I'm a Southern Gospel fan. [​IMG]

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't go to concerts because:

1. I don't have the money.

2. I live in a rural area and all concerts are far away.
    (2b. Far away=high gas expense, refer to 1)

3. I don't usually enjoy them all that much.

I'd much rather listen to the recordings at home.

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Dale,

Yes, I've heard recodings by some of those guitarists on the radio stations here that play classical music. But I dont have any recordings by any of those, except Segovia.

The only other recordings of classical guitar I have besides Segovia are by John Michael Talbot, Gary Lowry, Johnathan Burchfield, Rick Foster, and Bob Thomas. I also have a video presentation by Rick Foster. Are you familiar with them?

Now, most of that isnt *classical* music per se, but rather most of it is hymns and christian songs, but played on a solo classical guitar(for the most part) and played in the style of classical music.

I'm a musician myself and although I mostly play lead guitar and dobro in a bluegrass band, and contemporary electric guitar(playing praise and worship music), I have a classical guitar and play it from time to time. I find classical style guitar music to be very relaxing and enjoyable not only to listen to, but to play as well.

I have a recording by Craig Chaquito, and used to have some Al Di Meola LP's back in the 70's. I think I have some Charlie Byrd on some Jazz compilation CD's I have.

As you can see, I have quite a wide range of interest regarding music.

(Just dont put rap :eek: on around me. Within about 5 minutes the headaches will come and I'll have to leave the room. I honestly cant understand how any human can want that noise going into their ears.)

God bless,

Mike

15. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Secular. A friend of ours plays bass with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Went to see them last week. Honestly, not a big Joan Jett fan. I just went to support my friend. Met her after the show. She was very nice. I was surprised. She's also very tiny.

Before that was one song of a Molly Hatchet concert. They were at the South Florida Fair a few months ago. We knew they had to close with "Flirtin' With Disaster" and so we just walked around until the end of the show and then went in for the last song.

Before that, Marty Stuart and The Fabulous Superlatives.

Before that, Jerry Jeff Walker with David Bromberg.

Before that, we had tickets to see Leon Russell, but sadly, he died before the show.

16. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general, I do not go to concerts, though I have on a few occasions because of the circumstances (for example, friends invite me to hear Southern Gospel quartet singing at their church, or someone doesn't want to go to something by themselves). I much prefer participation in congregational or class singing to listening, and usually when I listen I'll listen on YouTube instead of going to hear someone live.