1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you have/use call waiting?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Mar 1, 2011.

?
  1. I have call waiting and I think it is great!

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. I have call waiting, but will not answer a 2nd call - its rude to the first caller

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. I have call waiting and will only answer if the Call ID indicates an important call

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I do NOT have call waiting, and never plan to

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. I do not have call waiting, but if I could, I would

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't mind if the other party puts me on hold to answer a second call

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. I do mind if the other party puts me on hold, but I just grit my teeth, because it is rude

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. If the other party keeps me on hold for more than 5 or 10 minutes, I will hang up

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. For urgent calls, I will activate the "cancel call waiting"

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. Other answer

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you consider call waiting an annoyance or a blessing?

You may vote as many answers that pertian to you

#1 Salty, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I first got it when I was working at an ad agency and reporting for a newspaper and had to make sure the kids could contact me, one of those kids being one with health issues that could require me to drop everything and run at any given moment.
    I spent a LOT of time making appointments and the one guy I contracted with had a lovely habit of doing things like calling me and saying "Jesus himself is meeting with all the elected state officials and I need you to record the meeting and report on it and interview him after for a story" and I'd pull out my handy dandy notebook and say "sure, what's the day and time?" and he'd say "he just walked into the Roosevelt room, other calls are pulling into the lot, please tell me you can get here NOW!"
    And I'd panic and grab my camera and recorder and the phone and run because he always made it more than worth my time in cash when he did that.
    I'd sometimes have two people on one phone and be holding another cell phone to another ear and having two conversations at once with another on hold, although I'd never make the person on hold wait more than 60 seconds.
    I had and still have call waiting, caller id, voicemail, email, texting, internet, auto-notification of certain things...it's stupid now though because I barely make phone calls and the only texts I make say stuff like "plz don't 4get milk."
    The stupid thing is that now most cell phones are smart phones and getting a bunch of unneeded bells and whistles is required. I don't need them anymore and I still have to pay for them. It is nice to have the internet in the classroom though...I can look up info very very fast. I've even used my phone to call the office to send security when they didn't answer the buzzer from the classroom that's meant to be used if there's an issue that you need help with. One time I was VERY thankful for having extra stuff because I had the choral group and they were in a remote part of the building and the phone didn't work and I needed the principal or security...a text to my husband and he called them and I got the help I needed.

So yeah. Love call waiting, love other stuff, although I'd like to have the option to NOT have it if I so choose!

3. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

At first I hated it, but now that I have got used to it I don't know how I"d ever do without it.

4. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I used to have call waiting on a cell phone and didn't know it. I wondered what that "beep" was. :confused:

I called my provider to ask how to turn it off. They told me "you can't turn it off" and "why would you want to turn it off?" :BangHead:

I have changed cell providers. :thumbs:

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't have call waiting. Looking at it from the point of view of the caller, we have in the UK a system called "Ringback". If I try to ring someone, and their phone is engaged, I can press 5, then when the person I am trying to call has finished his previous call, my phone will ring (with an unusual pattern of rings, so I know it's not just an ordinary call) to let me know.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will only answer the call if it's important and often let it go. If I'm on a long call and my kids call, I'll text them back (as long as I know they are not driving) and they can text me what they wanted to say. I don't mind being put on hold for a minute or two but I know I'd rather someone get back on and say "It's going to be a few more minutes. Can I call you back?" I do that as well and I just think it's being polite.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Nope for me. Don't like it. Don't want to be put on hold - if the other call is more important than mine and you need to take it, I'm ok with that, but please give me the option that you'll just call me back rather than putting me on hold.

#7 mcdirector, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Have it, generally dislike it -- on either end, calling or being called -- but have to use it for my job. Some calls take precedence.

Lots of other fancy gadgets also, like Blackberry, etc. :thumbs:

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like it. I'm not sure why someone would object to having it on your phone. You aren't required to take the call. If I don't want to answer, I just hit ignore.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Its a hava gotta needa otherwise don't usa.