1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you hold the Bible as Inerrant/inspired/infallible?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Sep 25, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

I once asked a Wycliffe Bible translator if he told the locals they were producing an inerrant text. He said they did. If this doesn't blow the concept of an inerrant "English" Bible . . . .

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you doubting that the Apostles actually even wrote and recorded the NT books than, as had to be copied later on off something, didn't it?

#42 Yeshua1, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain what you mean. Certainly in John if you follow the passage its certainly a discourse between Jesus and his disciples at the last supper.

It certainly leaves that impression as if the moon is a seperate light when in actuality its the same light as the sun reflected. Look at the passage Ie two independent lights. Observationally for early man that may indeed have been the case a greater light for the day and a lessor light for the night. To be scientifically accurate God made the great light for the day and the night but durring the day the earth get the light directly from the great light and at night the great light isn't direct but reflected.

I agree my spelling is bad as is my typing. But I never made the claim otherwise. What I find interesting is that when some one points out a perspecitive different than your own (and I'm not speaking just to you but is a general criticism for several people) to which you disagree the quick resort is to make criticism a personal issue. For instance what you just did here. You've attempted to provide explanation at how the scriptures can be considered a scientific manual and is correct in all its scientific assertions (interesting to note you didn't mention pi) when clearly it is not (and by the way that isn't the problem I find with your answer) which is ok to do so. What I find curious is that because I'm a bad speller or typer (sometimes its both) that you make a point of that (a personal affront to me) as if somehow my points aren't valid because of it. Kind of on the level of accusing someone who stutters of not having a valid theological perspective. I find that it goes to the very heart of the character of the one who lowers themself to attempt that line of reasoning.[/QUOTE]

again, the point is that the Bible states things in figures of speech, and that though not written to us as a physic text book, in ALL areas that it cover, it is without error and mistake!

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    very strange to me that a God who is smart enough to create all things from nothing would not be smart enough to make sure his written words were fully accurate in all they mention?

5. billwald

billwald New Member

>Are you doubting that the Apostles actually even wrote and recorded the NT books than, as had to be copied later on off something, didn't it?

Mark, Luke, Paul, and the writer of Rev. were not Apostles.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't have the originals. We have a collection of manuscripts, copies of the originals. We have enough copies that we can confidently say we have a trustworthy Bible but without the originals how can we say what we have is inerrant? We don't have anything but copies to compare to.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you do not truly understand the inerrant position.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point and the belief is irrelevant because there are no autographs available. It may be they didn't make any spelling errors like I constantly do. Or they may have. The fact is we can't know for sure. And we can believe whatever we want in regard to that because its all hypothesis since no autographs are available. However, that doesn't change the truth of what they were saying.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    that has been my point from the begining. I don't believe that since the bible is not a physics text book it doesn't have to be perfect when speaking of how many legs and insect has. But it does have to be innerrant on teachings of doctrine and morality. On God's revelation to man. Which is why it is important to have innerrancy as a consept properly understood. Or you may get new Chrisitans who believe that the bible's attestation to an insect having 4 legs is grounds to believe that since its not accurate in one aspect it ipso facto must be wrong about God's revelation to man. Consider Ehrman. His textual Criticism lead him to agnosticism because of this very thing.

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand when a Enlightenment era manmade thought is being elevated to "essential" doctrine status.

I understand that the Chicago Statement on inerrancy has over 20 qualifications for the word inerrant.

I understand that no serious scholar claims inerrant for anything but the originals (which we don't have).

I understand that inerrancy may sound good from the pulpit but is a destructive red herring used to divide the church.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible is inerrant and infallible in its original autographs. (2Pet.1:21; 1Tim.3:16; Isa.8:20; etc.)
    Holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. These holy men of God (prophets and apostles) wrote down the inspired words of God, which are totally inerrant in the manuscripts in which they wrote. God doesn't make mistakes.

God promised to preserve his word. This is different than inerrancy. It is the doctrine of preservation. Jesus said that not one jot or tittle would pass from this word. A jot is the smallest letter of the Hebrew alphabet and a tittle a part of a letter comparable to the crossing of a "t". IOW he promised to preserve his word. He didn't promise how but he promised he would. We have more than 5,000 MSS attesting to the veracity of the Word of God. It has been preserved.

God promised to give illumination to believers. In 1Cor.2:12,13 he has given his Holy Spirit that we might understand the things of the Spirit of God as compared to the unsaved man or the natural man (vs. 14) who is unable to understand spiritual things because he does not have the Spirit of God.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    everything written in the bible was as actually said and done, but not ALL things stated are true, as when satan spoke to Adam, but in all things spiritual/historical/geography etc it is without errors/mistakes!

Many have defaulted to "limited" view , that would see it accurate in JUST spiritually matters, but the holy Spirit is the Spirit of truth, and would have all things in it accurately written, and in all areas discussed as being true!

13. billwald

billwald New Member

> Jesus said that not one jot or tittle would pass from this word.

St John states he edited his Gospel for length.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are saying the final written authgraph was inspired/inerrant/rrevelation in full from God! the finished/final product!

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you mean in the texts we have now or only in the autographs. Because if you mean the texts we have now you still have the problem of the value of pi. 4 legged inscets, bat classification as a bird or 4 legged birds, or the sun revolving around the earth, or the earth not spinning on its axis, or historically that King David collects 10,000 drams which wasn't a denomination until King Darius I who btw lived 500 years after David, or that Ostriches by nature are innatentive to their offspring and "abandon" their eggs, or that the mustard seed is the smallest seed, etc...

But if you mean the autographs isn't that irrelevant since we don't have any of them to access?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you hold to the originals as FULLY inspired/inerrant/infallible?

We do hold that the current texts have mistakes in copying off originals, but very limited, and that it is essentially same as originals to us and as such fully inspired/authoratative!

17. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes but its irrelevant as the autographs aren't in existance. Also depends on what you mean for example if I make an observation that the sun seems to rise in the east and set in the west that is true as far as the observation goes but it doesn't imply the sun moves around the earth. I must not be understood to say that the sun moves around the earth. If I am to be understood as having said that sun moves around the earth then your understanding of what I am saying is wrong.

I agree with this statement. But I'm not going to rely on the bible to help me classify bats or insects.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who ever suggested to do such a thing. Irrelevant.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When one suggest that the scriptures are inerrant scientifically or that the bible is a scientific book that is what they imply.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist