1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you Hold to A Substitutionary View On the Atonement?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Oct 31, 2012.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I like what you're saying. Do we really think that with the current view of Penal Substitution or any singular view exhaustively defines the atonement? Really? BB: Is the work of theology complete? If so, please tell me when it reached that point.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree that the death of Jesus Christ on the cross accomplished victory over sin and death. However, the term "Christus Victor" was used by Michael Wrenn to deny the necessity of the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ!

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And it does, at least as far as I have read up on it. Through the death, burial and resurrection of Christ he engaged in battle with the forces of darkness, evil, sin, and Satan, and became the victor. He overcame them. But so what, if there is no payment made for our sins. Isn't that what is important? His argument is that that what was believed for the first 1000 years of history, and that penal or substitutionary atonement was something made up by the Reformers. At this point I don't care who made up what. The question is: "What saith the Lord?"

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So are you going to let Michael monopolize the term so that you can no longer use it? ...or will you use the term and define it more biblically?

5. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

And so, you hold both, Christus Victor and Penal Substitution to be biblically defensible, but not exhaustive, views of atonement? What is the harm in this?

6. OldRegular

I agree. If the atonement was not substitutionary are we not all still dead in sin?

7. OldRegular

I might use the term Victory in Jesus and on occasion sing it [monoonically]; but I will not use the term Chistus Victor. I have visited the site that MW referenced and see nothing there of particular merit insofar as atonement is concerned!

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

It's OK, preachinjesus, I understand completely how one can get confused with all the theological terms and semantics we deal with. Penal "or" Substitution, just claim the mathematical "or". One can even "evolve" with their position, which too is just fine. :)

Blessings

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Semi-serious. I regocnize the Moral Influence view, et al, but my question "Is there any other kind" was meant to convey that the "other kind" didn't have much, if any, validity.

11. OldRegular

I would urge all who doubt that the death of Jesus Christ is substitutionary to read Isaiah 53.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

To me, Isaiah 53 settles the argument.