1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Like Daylight Savings Time?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Marcia, Mar 8, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. Don't care

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree On top of that, they keep changing the time we switch over.

I think we all would do better sticking with standard time. I wasn't hungry tonight at the usual time because it was really an hour earlier, so 6:15 p.m. was really 5:15 and I wasn't hungry. I made dinner anyway because that's a good time for me to do it but I did not like it.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You'll get it back in the fall!

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Allow me to expand on that:

To get as close as possible to 'getting up with the sun and going to bed with it' one should rise and retire an equidistant amount of time from 12 noon Standard Time ie: get up at 4am and go to bed 8pm for 8 hours' sleep, which would generally mean the working day having to be from 7am to 3pm instead of 9 to 5 (assuming we wanted everything else i our daily routine to remain the same). But modern life, with its 9 to 5 regime, generally does not permit that: most of us rise between 6am and 7am and then go to bed sometime between 10pm and 11pm. The advantage of DST is that it moves our day an hour closer to the 4am to 8pm 'ideal day', and on that argument alone we should have it all year round.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I would like to see DST 'extended' one more week in November, thus Election Day would occur on DST. Beyond that, I personally don't care a great deal one way or the other, as a farmer. Regardless of what the clock may say, I can't bale any hay until it dries off sufficiently, from the dew.

And all breakdowns must have some sort of built-in clock because they seem to occur at about 5 PM, be it on Standard time or Daylight time, so that I cannot get the parts necessary to make a repair, until the next day, regardless of whether the time is "Standard" or "Daylight" according to my experience. :(

Ed

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

DST is a is just plain silly.
    We finally got it here in Indiana in 2006 after years without it.

The pushed it through here for so called "economic reasons" yet we are now seeing many drive in theaters going out of business or only opening on weekends.

One county in Indiana switched to DST and Central time from eastern at the same day in 2006.
    The local businesses ignored it and the local goverment, though technically observing it, shifted their hours to 7-4 to compensate.

I think that county got switched back to Eastern the 2007.

Daylight Savings Time of course does not save one minute of daylight, it should be called Daylight Shifting Time.

BUt all of that said, I try to just go on and forget about it.

6. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted "Don't Care" because I go back & forth sometimes. I like going home when it is daylight outside at 6:00 PM, but there are times that I like it when it gets dark at 4:30 PM. I guess its just according to what kind of mood I'm in.

I just wish that I lived in one of the cities that doesn't observe Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time. All year long they keep their clocks the same.

I have also wanted to visit Alaska where it can be daylight during the late night hours & can be dark during the daytime hours. I think that would be awesome to experience.

#26 BigBossman, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I voted "I don't care" because I am a 911 operator and I rotate shifts every 28 days, so my sleep time changes accordingly. I sleep when I am tired. <smile>

Last month, I got off work at 6 AM....this month, I go to work at 6 AM.

So everybody stop whining....DST is for those who do outside activities and want longer daylight hours during the warm weather...like the farmers around here who spend 12 hours a day on a tractor.

Debbie Mc

8. Spinach

Spinach New Member

It doesn't bother me either way, but my complaint is that the US changes their clocks a couple weeks earlier than Europe. That messes us up.

9. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have noticed that. I could be mistaken, but haven't we been setting our clocks forward in April & setting them back in October? It seems as if Daylight Saving Time has been extended by two months. I remember in 2006, it was in April, I forgot to "spring forward" which caused me to be late for work.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I'm a farmer and more than ready for some of that warm weather you spoke of.

Around here, "Global Warming" apparently missed the Memo. :rolleyes:

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Have any of you noticed that the BB goofs up the time change, at least during "DST" on "Eastern Time" as the 'system clock' now reads 7:40 AM, while it is actually 9:40 AM, as I post?

When we were on "standard time" the system was correct, for Eastern time.

Apparently the BB computer programmer "springs backward, then falls forward" somehow. :BangHead:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I wish we had DST year round.

13. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I believe the real benefit behind it is to save us energy usage.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

There is no true benefit to DST.
    It is contrived.
    If you want to get home sooner, just start work an hour sooner.
    it has the same effect with out messing with the clocks.

It has been more difficult for me to get up early in the summer ever since DST went into effect in Indiana in 2006.

15. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

It doesn't really matter - I just don't like changing the times! But I admit, Fall is easier - lol. I really prefer the dark as much as possible - probably because my eyes are so sensitive - but since I don't live way up north where it's dark for half the year, I'm kind of out of luck.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Then why do it during the spring and summer months when the days are longer? If this were the purpose, they'd do it in the winter.

The real reason is so that people can play golf later. I am not kidding.

17. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Even though I'm a morning person - I like more light at the end of the day!

Dan:godisgood: :godisgood:

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Southern Indiana was the most confusing place on the planet for some time.

Until recently, you had places in Indiana...
    • In the Central time zone, that did observe DST.
    • In the Eastern time zone, that did observe DST.
    • In the Central time zone, that did not observe DST.
    • In the Eastern time zone, that did not observe DST.
    When I would talk with someone in Indiana (particularly southern Indiana), I learned to simply ask, "What time is it right now where you are?

Otherwise, when filling in at a church, there was no telling how early or late I would be... :D

19. ILoveTheLord

ILoveTheLord New Member

I absolutely hate daylight savings time! It messes me up twice each year. When it begins and then again when it ends. I really hate it when it begins because I hate losing that extra hour of sleep. I don't understand why they can't keep it the same I mean really how much energy are we saving?

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I like it dark later.

Don't move to Ukraine. In the summer, it gets dark there around 11 p.m. in western Ukraine.