1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you love your neighbor?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Wisdom Seeker, Apr 4, 2003.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I was walkin' into the bank yesterday and there was an older Gentleman who was walkin' up toward the bank the same time I was--I reached for the door--held it open for him and said, "Mister! Let me hold the door open for ya today!"

Get the picture now! The bank has one of those things that I call a "double set of doors" meanin' you have to go through two sets of doors to get into the lobby!

The older Gentleman walks through and says, "Why, thank you sir! Here! Let me open this door right here for you!"

Laurenda, does this count??

God bless your heart--you hit the nail square on the head--our neighbor is anyone other than ourselves that we encounter! That means I will be just as kind to them as I am to myself! If I constantly "knock" myself--chances are I'll "knock" my neighbor! On and on!

Can I take a little information you gave and use it in a sermon one day?? Promise to give you a copy!!

Your Southern Baptist preachin' Buddy,
    Blackbird

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Oh Blackbird, I've done the double door dance too. Isn't that funny? Courtesy begets courtesy, and love begets love. It's contagious. You think God designed it that way? I sure do.

"Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones". Prov. 16:24. So spread a little charity to others...it may be just what somebody needed. We can all be used of God that way. "Withold not good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it." Prov. 3:27

Love is the greatest commandment. Love is God. He who knoweth not love, knoweth not God.

God bless you all,
    Laurenda [​IMG]

3. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Yes, I think I do. I do not always find it easy to talk to strangers, but i do try e.g. smile and speak to someone at the bus stop, or help a mum laden with shopping and pushchair that sort of thing. I try to go by the principle that I treat people the way I would like to be treated. I am also aware of when Jesus said, "when I was thirsty, you gave me a drink..." and I try to act accordingly. I get pleasure from seeing someone smile because i said "hello" first. I like to take time to chat to some of the elderly folk around. We always seem to be in such a rush these days, and it is good to stop and pass the time of day. I am aware that I may be the only person they have spoken to that day. There are lots of ways we can be a good neighbour and I pray that the Lords' love be reflected in me.
    [​IMG]

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday, (buying the just released book Armaggedon) and the casheir sneezed. The young man she was waiting on, didn't say one thing to her. I was next in line, and leaned over and said "Bless You". She smiled at me and said thank you, and was so pleasant towards me during my turn in checkout. She said "God Bless You" when I left.

That put a smile on my face for the rest of the day. I told you it's contagious. It's reciprical, and it effects everyone it comes into contact with. That sneeze, didn't carry airborne germs, it carried air-borne joy.

Praise God for his gifts to us.

In Christ,
    Laurenda [​IMG]

5. Charlotte Marcel

Charlotte Marcel New Member

You are such a blessing Wisdom Seeker. You have had so many trials and tribulations, and yet you can post like this.

You inspire me. I have a heartfelt smile for you too Sister.

God Bless You,
    Charlotte [​IMG]

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Well, aren't you kind? Thank you. ;)

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Would playing your mean neighbor and her ex's "song" really loud repeatedly be being a bad neighbor?
    Just wondering!
    I'm really a decent neighbor, ain't had a complaint against me ever. [​IMG] Except once, a friend lived downstairs and she was pregnant and grumpy and called me to say SOMEONE was walking around in their heels and it was annoying her. LOL I did a little tap dance for her and then took them off. [​IMG]
    I love having neighbors for the most part, it makes me feel safe. Occasionally I'd love to have none, but for the most part I'd much prefer living in an apartment than a house, although there's benefits to both. In a house the neighbor can't turn the water from hot to cold while you're in the shower if you've made them mad, but then again you don't have to put shoes and coat on in the middle of winter and go outside if you need a cup of sugar. [​IMG]
    Gina

8. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Gina, so you're passive aggressive then? I've had neighbors like you, hey I've been a neighbor like you.

My neighbor that used to block my car into the garage, who used to steal my parcels, fight with her husband at all hours, sit below my bedroom window being loud when I was trying to sleep.... I used to lift my screen and pelt raw eggs at her car. Of course that was when I was younger, lived in an apartment and was more aggressive, because I sort of had to be...you know before I started really going to church and had it drummed into me that behavior like that isn't Christian. :D I still have that in me though...that fighter, teaser characteristic...I just try to supress it these days.

No wonder Blackbird thinks you and I are alike...I couldn't see it before, I thought he was nuts...but after reading that post...

Laurenda [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I didn't see him say that! LOL Where was it?
    Did you hardboil the eggs first to be nice and make sure they didn't get salmonella or whatever that is? [​IMG]
    Gina

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

It was a little bit ago, he said that you and I and Sherrie are alike. I remember thinking "We are?" [​IMG] And I've been thinking about that ever since. ;)

No, there was no such thing as salmonella back then. (or at least it wasn't common knowledge like now) I was like 23 or so? That was almost 20 years ago...when I was young and volitile, and I had a soap box ready for every cause out there. Ah yes, back in the days when I was young and naive...and full of my own virtue. I could have took on the world back then. Now I just shake my head at the memory, and do the same when I see some other young person like that. I used to always be right you know...lol. Just like most 20 year olds. ;)

Laurenda

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Well, I'm not 23, but close enough! My birthday's coming up, so I'm going on 29. [​IMG]
    Gina

12. Charlotte Marcel

Is this your first time celebrating your 29th birthday Gina, or have you celebrated that birthday before? :D

Just teasing you dear. If it's really going to be your 29th birthday, I hope you have a wonderful one. ;)

God Bless You,
    Charlotte

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I plead the 5th on this one Charlotte! ;)
    Gina

14. Charlotte Marcel

[​IMG] Okay, I gotcha' [​IMG]

Charlotte

15. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Okay Gina, so are you a soap box idealist or an egg thrower? [​IMG]

Laurenda

16. thetaterkid

thetaterkid New Member

We love our neighbors very much. We all take care of each others yards and keep a look out for one another. We cook for each other and may get an invite on any given Friday or Saturday night for an evening meal. Everyone is cordial. The neighborhood is full of young, old, marrieds, and singles.

17. kandibear2801us

kandibear2801us New Member

I have tried to be a pleasant neighbor of course the one's right next to me just moved and I am kinda glad (shame on me) but I did pray for them because they were so unpleasant and some of their language was very inappropriate.
    Some of the ways I show my love for my neighbors is in the kids I am usually taking 1-3 kids with me to church or to the YMCA. I took 2 extra kids with us to an easter egg hunt. I always call myself the koolaid Mom because we always have at least one extra kid with us on the weekend. My children are socialites! The only negative thing out of this is I am the only Mom that does this continuously. Also last night something happened that kinda discouraged me. My daughter asked if her friend could go with us to the YMCA and at first I said no but after a little coaxing I said yes.. the friend called her Mom and her Mom said if your two brothers and sister can't go you can't go either well I may be a koolaid Mom but I get a little too stressed with 7 kids so I said no and my 3 kids and I headed down the street well Lo and Behold my tire tread started coming off so none of us got to go to the YMCA but needless to say my husband is off work tonight and I think I am going to go with him and if the friends wanna come along then I will let them!

18. Charlotte Marcel

I think when the Bible says to love our neighbor it doesn't mean the people who live next door exclusively, but your fellow man which would include anyone and everyone you ever have the chance to come across.

Kandibear, I read your post. Do you think that you were punished with a flat tire because you didn't want to take 7 children to the Y? That is a buddhist principle called "Cause and effect" did you know that?

We had a rule at our house when my children still lived at home. They could eat over or sleep over or go with us somewhere if they had offered the same thing. We didn't allow any one sided relationships. It's only fair.

I'm not saying that you should not be generous, of course you should. But I think with children, they get into a "taking only" mode and need to be taught that relationships are "give and take" ;)

God Bless You,
    Charlotte

19. kandibear2801us

kandibear2801us New Member

I may have been punished for my tire who knows but I did get a new tire so I am thankful for that! With my kids and their friends it's not necessarily the kids that are just taking and not giving it is the parents they are not giving their children individuality I mean saying well if one goes they all go and the ages go from 8 to 13 that's just plain silly to me! My kids go in all different directions because they all have their own individuality like my youngest goes to Taekwondo with a friend and his Mother (Thanks to her) and my daughter goes to her Dad's every other weekend (my 1st husband) and my younger son is a stay around the neighborhood type child! Well needless to say the one friend did get to go to the YMCA yesterday with my daughter and without her other 3 siblings so maybe it just takes time! Plus why am I complaining about being the koolaid Mom there is some very positive aspects to being that..1- I always know where my kids are and 2- Sometimes I get to take the kids to church with me and be a positive influence to them! Praise God for that!