1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do you really understand your 'opponents' views?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 25, 2012.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So do Arminians

No, he sees man as utterly depraved and incapable of a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ without a special intervention of God's Grace.. unless I am mistaken about Skan's personal views...in which event I am sorry if I misinterpret them.

Is oxymoronic, there is no such thing in either the Calvinist or Arminian system as it is decidedly un-scriptural.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well...lets see:
    from A Baptist Cathechism with Commentary...by WR. Downing...used by permission:thumbs::thumbs:

#22 Iconoclast, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Welcome to the board HOS... :D

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You have just answered the question of the OP by showing that you do not understand your opponents position.

Faith cometh by hearing from God, and thus is not 'inherent in fallen man.' The fact that we affirm man's ability to respond willingly in faith or trade the truth in for a lie doesn't negate the fact that we affirm the need of God's initial enabling work. In other words, we too affirm that faith is a gift of God, but we just don't assume a gift must be effectually applied for the giver to get the credit for giving it.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You speaking out of both sides of your mouth,does not equate to any misunderstanding on my part

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Amen!! :applause: :thumbsup::thumbs::applause:

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Actually you are both incorrect and Iconoclast has identified 'skans' position correctly. He says gift in one post then 'its within mans ability' in another.

So hold the applause, it doesn't represent truth nor make his response accurate by any means. :)

Iconoclast is dead on.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, I guess I don't know yall's side after all.

I'll keep an eye out**wink, wink*** and maybe I'll gain a better understanding. :laugh: :D

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Skan stated that it's within man's ability to respond in faith after God shows them and draws them(gift of faith given to them by God, I mean), but it doesn't mean they'll come....or that's what I think Bro. Skan stated. This is how I see it. No one can, or better yet, will want to call out to God until He first draws them. God drew me for years, but I rebelled and went the other way.

Faith is a gift of God, but a gift can also be rejected. Once the gift of faith was given to me, it's mine. That's why the bible states to add to your faith, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, etc.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Willis,
    After God gives saving faith...men exersize it...see post 22

11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone puh-leeze explain to me how this does NOT meet the definition of Synergism.

#31 kyredneck, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  12. Skandelon

:thumbs: Thank you for understanding a restating my views correctly. That is a rare gift around here apparently. :smilewinkgrin:

13. Skandelon

God may require a condition (faith) to be met before he regenerates someone, but that doesn't mean man 'participates in the work of regeneration.' The work itself is all of God's, but it is only done to those who believe in Christ.

Scripture teaches that we are made alive through faith. Faith is the condition, the means, by which God does the work of regeneration, but that work is still all of Him. Make sense?

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there is a CONDITION that man has the choice to meet, then the human will has just cooperated with the Holy Ghost in the work of regeneration. Period.

Why? Why the resistance to being defined as a synergist? This very simple, concise definition does indeed describe the free will soteriology.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Is synergism a dirty word?

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO!

....or at least I don't think so. I believe it to be an accurate, brief definition of the free will soteriology.

I believe the REAL problem with it is that it represents a 'label', you know, like Calvinist, or hyper, or something.

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This isn't about 'yalls' side (ours) this is about the fact you don't know what he teaches; 'it's a gift in one thread'...in another 'no, it's within mans ability.'

How you turned my post around to being an expression of 'our side' when I was simply showing you that Iconoclast was accurate in representing sanks views is beyond me brother.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Sorry if you thought I was turning your post into something else. That wasn't my attempt. I was trying to make a funny about the man who lost his glass eye after being baptized every time he was "saved".

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

#39 Michael Wrenn, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  20. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just a quick observation: As a Baptist...I am by definition...non-credal Although not inherently wrong per se.....What is with all of this incessant "catechism" ..."confessions".."historic faith" etc.....What Baptist really gives a (*&%&^ about that stuff? ICON...are you a Baptist? I assume you are...and I don't mean to say that these creeds of yours don't have intellectual value...but do you realize that to many Baptists... all we begin to hear is: "The Holy Mother Church-by the Authority of God's vicarious representative of Jesus Christ on Earth-His Holiness-Pope UglyHat the XVI, has decreed unto us that.....blah blah blah"
    This is not meant to be insulting...I just think that tends to be somewhat ineffective...Baptists don't just incidentally not use creeds...they HATE and FEAR them. I know that for my part.. I begin to hear the "The Westminster confession says....":sleep: