1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do your clothes meet 1611 standards?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by humblethinker, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Oh My!!!

Don't worry Gina....I'm not a creepy (or dirty) old man! Also, I get what you are saying and yes....some of the ladies and even some of the men need a few lessons in correct posture and how to sit properly in light of how they are dressed. It gags me when I see some 60 year oldish woman wearing a mini-skirt or a sun dress trying to act like a teenager. That's just my opinion. I know for a fact my wife feels the same way!
    As to what I might say to someone in public....and I have before.... it was simply something like " I appreciate your modest appearance....there certainly isn't enough of that going on these days....thank you!" or something like that.....and I don't linger around to make further conversation. That would not be appropriate (in my opinion) I know that may seem weird to some folks but it is obvious by what you see in public these days that:
    #1...some/many folks DO NOT bother to look in a mirror before they step out in public.
    #2...some/many parents have no sense of modesty as reflected not only in how THEY dress but also, how they let their kids dress.
    #3...very few people really believe that nakeness or immodesty is actually a sin....outside of OR INSIDE OF church.
    #4...and finally,it is obvious that purity is not a highly valued virtue or gift of God in this vile culture we are in today.
    You can bet that when God sacrificed the first animals and covered Adam and Eve with "coats of skins"(Gen.3:21) those weren't bikini's and boxer shorts...and God would not leave them immodest.
    My only intent in the comments I have made either here or IN PUBLIC is that the ones who are doing right and go to the trouble know that it is encouraged and appreciated because in this day and age it costs something to stand up for what is right and many times folk that do are ridiculed by those who embrace the standards (or lack thereof) and culture of this world. For the record...any comments I might make do NOT emphasize any "body parts" or draw any undue attention to anything like that. I'll be glad to get to heaven. Like I said before folks I have made comments to have always thanked me. I don't do that often but I would do it again if I felt led of the Lord to do so. Sorry if I "creeped" you out.

Bro.Greg

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Last Sunday I wore leopard skin speedos with a tank top shirt (without a tie). The high heels made it very difficult to collect the offering. I wonder how that stacks up to the 1611 standard.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I see you are in the wrong version again. If you were reading the inspired edition, you would be in the KJV, then you would have a choice of wearing a fully armored Knight suit, or a costume from the midwest 1870s like the Amish do. Both are equally spiritual.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

OR, I can picture you in a John Travolta Saturday Night Fever outfit going to church. Not sure how you would handle the disco.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

For you, I think a John the Baptist apparel outfit would be the best. We can always add LOOSE fitting blue jeans to cover the legs.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Wait a minute, I turn sixty in a couple of weeks, and was thinking of selling modeling photographs of my excellent physique. You can see my picture in the avatar, so I need your honest opinion. Do you think I could get an extra premium by showing my chest with a heart bypass scar on top of gray chest hair? (not to mention the frog belly)

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would give five dollars to see Obama in a Shakespeare outfit.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, you have to consider the strong moral character of King James and other kings of the time. I believe the man to be more humble than Moses and more caring of the poor than Mother Teresa.

9. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

This is a very important distinction here. How can one be a legalist if they believe in salvation without works? You are limiting the definition. It might not apply to you regarding your theology of salvation but that's not where the extent of the word's meaning ends. One can still be a legalist in matters of living out the faith.

Jesus' main frustration with the Pharisees was not that their theology was wrong... We don't get life from the ideas we believe, that would be Theological Idolatry. I think there were many pharisees/legalists that are genuine though, and I am truly sad for them. No one is so blind as those who will not see.

#49 humblethinker, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  10. humblethinker

Gina, It will 'click' for you when you have an epiphany that all the things and ways that you are: God is for THAT!

11. humblethinker

Haha, i thought you were serious at first... But now i think you were joking.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_worship

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Gregory, you may be the only self-proclaimed legalist here with a great attitude and humble demeanor. Now THAT is appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and have a beautiful day.

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

SaturnNeptune, you have given me a good laugh for the morning. Gina helped greatly as well. :laugh:

Now I'm going to put on my skinny jeans (they weren't skinny 40 pounds ago :confused: ) and a baggy t-shirt and go work on organizing my garage. We have new shelves to put up as soon as we can clear enough space. :eek:

Guess I'm gonna miss church and be immodest. Hmmm, wonder which came first? My being immodest or thinking it was okay to skip church? :D

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

MK, we're BOTH missing church! I woke up late with my belly doing something awful, hoping it calms down before the evening service and first official day back to school tomorrow.

I don't wear skinny jeans, can't wear anything with buttons (who was the brilliant surgeon who came up with the idea of cutting THROUGH the belly button during surgery?!) but lots of the students do. I knew those kids were evil little things...JUST KIDDING!

Two of my girls have them and also are about as modest as a kid gets and trust me, I see what immodest looks like on a regular basis with their peers. When a public city school has to send students home, you know it ain't good! Either is saying the word ain't, but I'm not in the classroom. :saint:

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ah well. I won't make the evening service either. I'm shooting for Wednesday night at the moment.

Or rather: I ain't gonna make the evening service neither. :D

This garage thing has to get done for my sanity. Time to get to work.

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

I got ya'll all beat!

I one-upped all'a ya'll......I sent my wive shopping with my step-daughter. She won't be able to make it back in time for the Sunday evening service but both of them needed some stress relief (after all...she is married to ME) and our 8month old grandson has to have surgery at 8am tomorrow (Monday) morning. Nothing terribly serious but we'd certainly appreciate prayers for little Garrett. Beside that...I need a nap. I have to be well rested to stay spiritual you know! Ya'll dress real nice and try not to scare people in public...OK?

Bro.Greg:thumbs:

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gad Zooks, man, of course it seems strange! LOL!!! :flower:

And you want to know why? As a female, it doesn't matter to me if a complete stranger yells out to me, "Shake it, baby!" or "Sister, oh ye, oh ye, I dost appreciate thy modest apparel!" - both comments affect me the same way.

Both comments tell me that a strange man that I don't know has been staring at my caboose (or other region) and feels driven to walk up to me and make a comment in my ear about it about how HE feels about my body.

You'd better NOT linger around for further conversation because there won't be any conversation from me. The only sound you will hear will be the hum of my turquoise leather - silver buckled - bling encrusted purse swinging over MY head about to knock you upside YOUR head. Brother, that's the whole reason why I carry a can of Campbell's Soup in my purse - it gives a little "oomph" to the punch, sort of like brass knuckles. :laugh: :flower:

Cut out the unsolicited comments to strange women about their bodies being covered up to your satisfied specifications. Not cool, brother.

Changing the subject, I will be in prayer for baby Garrett.

#57 Scarlett O., Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  18. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

With class S/N, with class!

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

Shocked...truly shocked!

Scarlett....First of all thank you for your prayers for our grandson...he has to be at the hospital by 7:30 monday morning and will go in sometime after 8am. Thank you for praying! NOW.......I truly am shocked and surprised that you or Gina or anybody else would be offended at someone complimenting their modesty. It never even for a second occurred to me that anyone would take that the wrong way. That said...I must say that you seem to be offended because it is an uncommon occurence for anyone to make that kind of comment...I will concede that is probably true.....but it does sadden me that the first thought that you and Gina expressed is one of suspicion JUST BECAUSE IT IS A MAN SAYING IT...or so it would seem. Just because I notice someone dressed modestly IN A VIRTUAL SEA OF PEOPLE (men or women) THAT AREN'T does NOT mean or automatically indicate that I am...as you said,"staring at your caboose(or other region)". As to the comments I said I have made...I don't make "comments in someones ear" ( I would NEVER get that close!) and I don't make comments about the body...AT ALL. And for the record....on the occasions that I have commented I always try to make those comments LOUD enough where other people who may not be so modestly dressed and in close proximity can HEAR WHAT I SAID. I also think it's sad that you think you have to CARRY THAT CAN OF SOUP! You are a dangerous woman!
    Now...with all that said....since it is apparent from the way ya'll have reacted to my comments that it must be possible to inadvertantly offend someone by doing this inspite of my best intentions...I will, in the future refrain from letting my mouth speak what my mind thinks. My intentions were pure and honorable. It is sad that this culture we live in has produced so many perverts and slobs that people with honorable intentions can be so misunderstood. All I can say to EVERYBODY is this....be careful what you wear and how you carry and conduct yourself in public. We are supposed to reflect the character and attributes of holiness of our Lord Jesus Christ. Definitely on the inside and as much as possible on the outside as well.:saint:

Bro.Greg

#59 Gregory Perry Sr., Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2012
  20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Gregory, I do understand that you intentions are very honorable and that's why I spoke a little tongue-in-cheek and with all the smilies.