1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctor of Educational Ministries

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

I have a question that I should be able to answer but cannot. There is a new professional doctorate sweeping through the ATS schools. At least 4 SBC schools have the program now. It is called the D Ed Min I think; Doctor of Educational Ministries. It is a professional doctorate for people with the MRE, MACE, or MA in RE. Those are the foundational degrees for it.

The kicker is this. It runs from 44 to 48 hours counting dissertation or project. While, most DMin programs run 30-36 hours. My question is, why are there more academic hours required to get this degree than the DMin?

Let me know. I belive I know but need some other opionions to verify what I am thinking.

sdg!

rd

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

because it is not based on an MDiv?

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD,

What about those MDiv's with a CE module or component? They in essence have a 30hr MA section with a specialty built into them.

sdg!

rd

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I'm sorry. I don't understand your reply.Your orig ques was why was the DMin of less hrs than the D. Ed. Min. My suggested answer was that as the common prereq for the DMin is the 90 sem hr MDiv , but the pre req for the D. Ed. Min is a 60 hr masters, that the latter doc, for that reason, requires more coursework. If that is not the reason, then I've no answer.

5. Nord

Nord New Member

There are general variations among degrees. UZThd has excellent points.

Even DMin's range from 36 to 60 hrs. There was a regionally accredited PhD in Health Sciences through Touro U that was about 40 credit hours (recently they upped the number of hours required) when the norm is around 60.

Nord

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZThD.

You are absolute right. And it makes perfect sense. What one lacks in its Master's basics they are trying to make up for at the Doctoral level.

I did not mean to be oblique or obtuse!!

sdg!

rd

7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

It seems to me the SBC seminaries used to offer an EdD degree to people who had completed the MRE degree. Anybody know why they dropped the EdD in favor of the D.Ed.Min. I'm not too crazy about the name of the degree- -too many letters, ha, ha.

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PatsFan,

SBTS still offers an EdD in Educational Leadership I believe. It is "web enhanced" with about 4 one week modules per year on campus. It can be done in and out the door in three years.

It is a good and viable alternative for someone who wants an earned doctorate and does not want to leave home. The total costs (I think) is under $10,000 and payments can be made monthly.

All who are interested in a doctorate should in Christian Ed or Leadership would be well advised to check it out. One of the profs at MABTS got one I think?

sdg!

rd

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

SWBTS offered the EdD degree several years ago but changed it to a PhD. That degree is designed for peolpe that desire to teach on the college or seminary level, and has a strong research and statistics element to it - along with a research level dissertation. The EdD degree was not as accepted as the PhD by some colleges looking for professors.

SWBTS also offers a D Ed Min - it is designed for education/youth ministers, without as strong a research element to it. These students are typically off site but will come on campus a week or two a semester for a full week (6-8 hours/day) to present papers etc. this degree is more of a practicioners degree. A masters degree, and a certain amount of experience in the field is required prior to enrollment.