1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctoral Degree Designations

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TomVols, Jan 19, 2010.

?

Which designation is "better"?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2010.
  1. Ph.D.

75.0%
  2. Th.D.

12.5%
  3. D.Min.

12.5%
  1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

All else being equal, which do you consider to be the "best" terminal doctoral degree designation? If you wish to define "best" feel free. It can mean most prestigious, most accepted, respected...whatever. Just first glance answers. Don't analyze it too much.

This stems from a discussion I had where someone felt the Ph.D. was more prestigious now than the Th.D. Another person chimed in and said he'd rather be a Doctor of Theology than a Doctor of Philosophy (esteeming philosophy to be of less worth than theology). Another said if you're a minister, the Doctor of Ministry meant more than Theology or Philosophy.

So what's your take? Feel free to explain your answers. Or not :)

#1 TomVols, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

None of those is necessarily better objectively. It all depebds on how one applies the knowlege obtained in pursuit of the degree on question.

3. fbcodr

fbcodr New Member

My doctorate in ministry has helped me in ministry a lot. I also feel the Theology one is important. It never ceases to amaze me at how others expect me to know more about the Bible than them. When you pastor it can be that way. I'm glad for good Bible discussions and the opportunity to be challenged. That's an important reason to be on this board.:wavey::jesus:

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

PhD is a stronger, more reputable degree with those compared.

Of course a DPhil from one of the better schools at Oxford trumps all of them...;)

That said it is important to echo what Johnv said, what truly matters is the application of knowledge and not just the stuffiness that can come from degrees. I have benefitted greatly from my degrees, but I also don't stand up in front of people on Sundays and give 45 disserttions on the nature of the substitutionary atonement while using large, unneeded words.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I think it depends on who you are asking. In some theological circles, a Th.D. would be preffered, while in some, as well as in secular circles, the PhD would trump the others.

A D.Min is really in a class by itself. It is a different kind of degree, and I would say not really comparable.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Of course a DPhil from one of the better schools at Oxford trumps all of them...;)"

Humm, did not know Dr. Phil had a university :smilewinkgrin: I know, going back under my rock.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My analogy - which is better, a bike, a van or a bus.
    Depends on what you need for the mission.

8. Siberian

Siberian New Member

I voted D.Min. because it usually denotes someone ministering in the assembly and not in the academy (though I know that there are a ton of exceptions).

Oh, and because it is the only doctorate program I'd be admitted to. :)