1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrinal Differances

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Berean, Mar 2, 2009.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

There are thousands of churches in each "camp." (Boy, do I hate that word)

With thousands of churches, and millions of members, one cannot say, "This is the difference." There are trends, yes...but IFB and SBC churches come in all stripes.

2. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo New Member

I didn't mean your Church had to go into all the world by itself. It is however just as responsible to do so by cooperating with other New Testament Churches. SBC does that throught the cooperative program. This is the largest mission cooperative program I know of. If you do what you can that's great. In our Church we support the Cooperative program and support our local missions as well. The Church is responsible for Jerusalem (local town) Judea (local state) and the ends of the earth. Do your part and cooperate with others doing the same!!!:BangHead: :1_grouphug: :applause: :jesus:

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello ajg1959

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with the LORD, and it brought up a very interesting question:
    You said........
    When talking about loving the Lord, Jesus said.......
    John 14:15
    “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”

And indeed one of His commandments, is to love others.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I had a very similar experience back in 1985:
    I was driving to work one day, and as ususal, I was praying on the way, and in my prayer I said, “LORD I love you”, and He responded by speaking to my heart, “If you love me, than feed my sheep”.

I immediately knew, that He was calling me to preach His Word, and not to feed the hungry.

What I am getting at, is that the greatest expression of “love”, that we can give to others, is to tell them about Jesus, or to warn the Christian, about the folly of neglecting the Lord.
    Proverbs 27:5
    “Open rebuke [is] better than secret love.”
    --------------------------------------------------
    But by all means, if the Lord is telling you to feed the hungry, than that is what you had better be doing.

4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

My cent and a half.

Whenever I encounter the bold in my walk and say Baptist I get "fundy" thrown in my face.
    Mom always told me I was a Southern Baptist so I go with her.

To me it means no central authority; no vatican giving orders or else. That was the downfall - one corrupt pope and the church became the world. If that is what IFB is about then more power to them.

So other than that I don't know what fundamentalists believe - they are my Baptist brethren.

God bless

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pretty sure? You would not call that gossip would you?

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I was being nice....no I am REAL sure they had it..so its not gossip, thank you

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I think I would rather have my single nieces, nephews, 'greats' (and certainly my own offspring, if I/we had been blessed with sons and/or daughters), meet someone to date at 'Saddleback' than at some bar/nightclub, at some on-line 'dating service' or in a so-called 'chat-room,' but maybe that's just me.

Ed

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I didn't "go to church" to find my bride, but when speaking to her as a friend, a conversation I had with her regarding what it meant to be completely and totally 'forgiven' and the implications and meaning of grace (and the fact that no one else had any right to attempt to impose some 'guilt-trip' on another) was the first significant personal interaction we had, as well.

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, there is no such thing as a particular doctrinal stance for any church which happens to be affiliated with the SBC. The SBC is not a denomination, and has only churches, each of which has her own stance, affiliated with the Convention, aside from a few agencies and some missions. (Yes, a church is a 'she', FTR.) In fact, my home church is not a Southern Baptist church, nor could we even be, even if we wanted, although we do fully co-operate with the SBC.

The Forks of Dix River Baptist Church, which happens to be the third oldest extant Baptist church "West of the Alleghenies" was constituted in 1782, or 63 years prior to the existence of the SBC. Kinda' hard to be a part of something that won't yet exist for more than a generation.)

We merely affiliated with that organization, at its founding. The SBC has not one bit of 'say-so' over anything we may do or not do, as a body, except that as a group, they may choose not to affiliate or fellowship with us, for one reason or another.

That's what a local Baptist Church is, by definition, an independent congregation of believers, and every single Baptist Church is exactly that, be she one which affiliates with the SBC, KBC, any IFB 'group' or individual church or churches, or whatever. Or she is not a Baptist church, but something else.

Ed

#49 EdSutton, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well said!

"Both short and sweet!" :thumbsup:

Ed

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Gal 2:10 {They} only {asked} us to remember the poor--the very thing I also was eager to do.

I think churches should try and do both. I do agree with you that too many only do charitable works in lieu of spreading the gospel. But I think to believe that the church should have no part or responsibility in helping those in need is just the opposite side of that coin. I actually think that in every situation where we reach out to help people it is an opportunity to also witness.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does that fit in with James 2:15, 16, "If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?"

I have always found that in making disciples I show them how it is done. In whatever God brings my way I am presented with an opportunity to serve people and teach and train them as an example and ambassador for Christ.

It is not an either or situation but rather whatever God brings.

Jesus came not to be served but to serve. That is our example to follow.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I didn't say that the church should have no part or responsibility. I was talking about what the mandate is. If disciples are being made, then people will be helping other people. But people can help other people while not being a disciple.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Perfectly fine. There is no conflict at all. If we make disciples, then people will be helping others.

Again, remember the issue is the mandate of the church. God did not command the church to feed the poor, especially those outside the church. He commanded the church to make disciples.

The commands to feed and clothe are directed to individuals, not to the church per se. Missing these distinctions has caused the church to have some serious problems.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would disagree in that the church has become more and more selfish in its ministry when it should be giving itself away.

Gal. 6:10, "So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith."

Looks like according to Gal. 6:10 we are to do good to all people and especially the church.

Was not Galatians a letter written to and read in a church context?

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Where's the disagreement?

To individuals probably, not specifically to the church as the church. He is telling individuals to do this, as is clear from the context.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The church is made up of more than one believer (Gal. 1:2).

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The mission of the church is much more than just making disciples. It ultimate aim is to please God. In pleasing God it requires obedience. Obedience to God is not limited to just the context of believers.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Come to Northern Va. I think most of the SBC churches here are liberal.

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Most likely they are duly aligned (straddling the fence IMO) supporting both the SBC and the CBF.