1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doctrinal Statements

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FR7 Baptist, Dec 28, 2009.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I was just wondering what doctrinal statements your church uses and if you require members to affirm it. Mine uses, and I affirm personally, the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message. My church affirms the BF&M in its bylaws, but does not require one to affirm it for membership.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here, although I doubt most of our members know what the 2000 BF&M says. We have it printed word-for-word in our constitution and by-laws, but I'm not sure that gets read anymore than the weekly bulletin or monthly newsletter.

#2 SBCPreacher, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My church has a very detailed doctrinal statement - not sure the source. There is a shorter version and then there is the detailed version:
    http://www.cherrydale.org/clientimages/30992/miscdocuments/doctrinalstatement.pdf

I am not sure if one has to affirm the doctrinal statement to become a member (I should know that but I don't) but those who want to be members must attend a Newcomer's class to learn about the church and our doctrine (there are a few other things they must do, too).

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church uses the historic 1689 2nd London Baptist Confession. Everyone must have general adherence to its principles to join.

When I taught in an ifb college, they used the New Hampshire Confession with 2 addenda - one on eccumenicism and one on eschatology (pre-trib). Faculty were required to sign it annually, although I knew a couple of men who openly said they signed it but "interpreted it" their own way.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which statement is required to be a member of the Baptist Board :smilewinkgrin: