1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does a Christian Really Get Blessed?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Raulf7, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

I hear people say "God blessed me with a job"

Non-believers get jobs

"God blessed me with money"

Non-believers have money

"God blessed me with good health"

Non-believers have good health

"God blessed me with a family"

Non-believers have families

"God blessed me with ______"

Non-believers have _______ (name it)

Please name a blessing that Christians get, apart from salvation, that a Non-believer doesnt get

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (1) God is the sovereign of the universe, in control of every detail

(2) When something good or bad happens to me, I need to recognize the hand of God behind it and give Him glory.

I think that's all a Christian is doing when he says "God blessed me with 3 kids" or "God blessed me to live in Wyoming". Recognizing the hand of God.

Unsaved believe in some sort of cosmic kismet or fatalism; Christians see GOD! ;)

3. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

Fate versus God?

So the unbeliever is helped by God then?

4. preacher

preacher New Member

It rains on the just and the unjust! ;)

5. BigErv

BigErv New Member

We all get blessed, it depends by whom.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    >>I hear people say "God blessed me with a job" Non-believers get jobs>>

The "blessing" part all depends on the attitude of the recipient.

HankD

7. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

Attitude controls what God gives?

Explain

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    >>The "blessing" part all depends on the attitude of the recipient.>>

The attitude of the recipient: The thankful prayerful person considers the new job (for instance)an answer to prayer and a blessing from God, while an unbeliever or carnal Christian gives him/herself the credit for getting the job because of interviewing skills, education, past successes, etc.

9. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

So you are saying God blesses both parties, believer and unbeliever?

If thats the case, that means theres no special benefits for a believer and thats my point

10. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

First I want to say that just because you get it doesn't mean it's from God. Somtimes we get it when it is out of God's will . . . we get it because we want it.

God blesses the unjust so that they can see His loving hand in their lives . . . though it may be some times after the blessing before the recognize it as such. He blesses all so that He may be glorified.

Believers have blessings that are not available to unbelievers . . . peace, joy, eternal life, the tender ear of a loving Father, hope . . . the list could go on and on. But I would consider those the special blessings of believers only.

Wouldn't you agree?

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: KeeperOfMyHome ]

11. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

peace, joy, eternal life, the tender ear of a loving Father, hope

peace?

Tell that to someone who is suffering badly

Joy?

Tell that to someone who is suffering badly

Eternal Life?

Of course thats the next life not now

Tender ear of a loving father?

That does what in this life?

Hope?

Only for the next life

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Raulf7 ]

12. preacher

preacher New Member

Jesus said there would be suffering. My wife suffers with a number of different ailments,
    always in pain, but she gives God the glory
    anyway. I'm the one that battles with it because it makes me suffer to see her suffer.
    But we know, though we may not understand why
    that its to Gods' Glory.
    Eternal Life, I have that NOW, not when I die. Our Lord said he came that we may have life and have it more abunduntly. Thats present tense, not future.
    Tender Ear? You'd better believe it!!, We have a Father that loved us enough that he gave his only begotten son. He hears our every cry, & answers every single time.
    It may not be the answer we want, or even think we need, but he knows exactly what we DO need.
    Hope... I don,t want to sound mean, but if your only hope is for the next life, you're missing the point. We LIVE now, in this day,
    this moment. We may think its a sorry existence, but we serve a Risen Savior!
    I'm going through a lot of rough times right
    now but I'm not gonna' let satan get the upper hand. Draw nigh to God and he will draw nigh to you! :D

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Raulf,

Since you are asking me personally, this is how I consider "blessings".

That God blesses the just and the unjust doesn't matter to me.
    I consider the good things in my life blessings from God. I always have and I always will.
    When things don't go via the way of blessing then I think on the scripture: The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away or, all things work together for good... etc.

Frankly Raulf, it sounds like you need a "blessing" from our Father in Heaven. Are things not going well for you brother?

your Bro
    HankD

14. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raulf7:
    I hear people say "God blessed me with a job"

Non-believers get jobs

"God blessed me with money"

Non-believers have money

"God blessed me with good health"

Non-believers have good health

"God blessed me with a family"

Non-believers have families

"God blessed me with ______"

Non-believers have _______ (name it)

Please name a blessing that Christians get, apart from salvation, that a Non-believer doesnt get
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting discussion. This is an area of current growth for me (almost a time of transition in my thinking here) so I apologize if my thoughts appear a bit disjointed.

The gift (or blessing) that we, as believers, receive is the gift of a relationship with God (salvation by grace through faith in Christ).

The problem that you seem to be referring to is the tendency we have to seek after the gifts of God rather than after God Himself. In other words, sometimes believers get caught in the trap of being satisfied by the things that God does for us rather than by being satisfied in Him.

In The Godward Life, Pastor John Piper writes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The glory of bread is that it satisfies. The glory of living water is that it quenches thirst. We do not honor the refreshing, self-replenishing, pure water of a mountain spring by lugging buckets of water up the path to make our contributions from the ponds below. We honor the spring by feeling thirsty, getting down on our knees, and drinking with joy. Then we say "Ahhh!" (that's worship!), and we go on our journey in the strength of the fountain (that's service). The mountain spring is glorified most when we are most satisfied with its water.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We, in upper North America, have been conditioned to see God's love in these "blessings". We need to be very careful not to see these things as an indicator of how much God loves us. God does not love us any more than He loves the Christians being killed or sold into slavery in the Sudan or those who are having their hands cut off in Egypt for merely translating the Scriptures into native tongues.

The danger in seeing God's love as exclusively expressed by earthly gifts is that we may tend to turn away from God when these gifts cease in coming.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Jonathan ]

15. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

God made certain promises for this life

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

God blessed me with "pain" so that I might know His comfort.

17. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    God blessed me with "pain" so that I might know His comfort.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder how much pain you could really take?

I wonder if you found yourself in jail for something you didnt do, lost your business, your home, your cars, went bankrupt, had creditors threaten your family with violence, had both inlaws die while you were in jail, had your Church turn your back on you, had your family and friends all disown you, lost credibility in the industry you once were well though of, were beaten up in jail, got extremely sick because the authorities in prison didnt believe you were really sick and you couldnt get medical help, your Father had a heart attack at the same time and ended up in hospital but you couldnt visit him, ex-inmates tried to extort money from your wife while you were in jail, had a contract put out on your life by creditors, your inlaws before they died had $100,000 cash in the bank but refused to give your wife and son money to buy food so they had to beg to charities. I wonder if all this happened to you if you would still feel so bright and happy with Gods blessings?

Job had an easy life.

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Raulf7 ]

18. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raulf7:
    I wonder how much pain you could really take?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God knows us, and knows how much we can bear. He has promised never to lay upon us more than we could possibly bear.

But I'm sure you don't believe this either Raulf.

19. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeeperOfMyHome:

God knows us, and knows how much we can bear. He has promised never to lay upon us more than we could possibly bear.

But I'm sure you don't believe this either Raulf.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I starting not to believe this

20. John Wells

John Wells New Member

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isa 40:31 NIV)

Read Psalm 119

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6 NIV)

God bless!