1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does a Pastor HAVE to take a stand on election/predestination in sermons?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JRG39402, Jan 5, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

A Preaching/Teaching Pastor has to be first of all faithful to the Word. When this happens, he has no choice but to faithfully expound on unconditional election.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Like you always say...God is love.

:saint: :flower: :flower: :saint:

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Indeed...

One is to preach the whole Bible, and not skip some verses. I have sat waiting for weeks to see what a pastor will say when they get to a passage, only to have them jump over it. What do they fear? Is God not the God of the Bible? Why not preacher what it says?

If nothing else at lease say you don't know how you believe on part of the book, but do not hide from it.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Wherever one reads about Election, God is the sole actor. There's nothing a person does to bring it about (1 Thess 1:4).

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

Now, THAT is funny stuff :laugh:

You aught to put that in the Jokes of the NT thread.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree with you, but how do you know he was 'hidding from it'?

I haven't known any to fear anything in scripture but preach it without reservation. That is not to say there aren't some but most enjoy preaching the full counsil of God with due regard for every verse. I personally and VERY fond if it and in fact love to preach and teach verse by verse.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Of Course God is the sole actor since it was God who determined the how and therefore the whom will be the elect.
    It is of faith that it might be by grace.

I agree, there is nothing a person does to bring it about, because one can not make ones self elect. You either are or you are not.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

since it was I in the church, and each passage that talked of election was jumped, and because I called him on it once, i therefore say he hid from such passages

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

I was just curious. Sad that it happened, but the fact is that some don't know enough about it to try to teach or preach intelligently on it. And I know that between the C and A debates the term 'intelligently' is a very subjective :laugh:

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sad, indeed.

Many Reform pastors never touch the book of The Revelation.

And to be fair, many other pastors will condemn Calvinism from the pulpit -- Rogers and Gaines at my own church. Their point, I believe, is that the passages Calvinism uses to teach the saving gospel were never intended as such by their authors. One cannot even compare the gospel spoken of in Acts 2:38-40 with the "gospel" isogeted by Calvinists from Eph 1:4-6.

If Acts 2:38-40 was the "game" -- Eph 1:4-6 is the postgame "highlight reel."

Acts 2:38-40 is how to get saved -- Eph 1:4-6 is about the post-salvation purpose of that salvation.

Ephesians is Paul's epistle telling about the "scope (1:12-23), hope (2:1-3:21), riches (4:1-5:33), and power (6:1-24)"* of the salvation we already have. It is not intended to convert anybody.

Acts 2 (or 1Cor 15:1-4, etal.) presents the gospel of our salvation. Let's don't "get the cart before the horse."

skypair

*Dr Rogers