1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Amnesty "Cheapen" American Citizenship???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 3, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Cheapen may not be the term I'd use (see comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Amnesty and lack of enforcement of immigration laws are "just plain wrong!"

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been my contention, since the beloved Ronald Reagan granted amnesty to illegal immigrants (not just Hispanics), that to circumvent the laws of immigration is the "cheapening" of citizenship.

I would like to know what others think and feel in regard to this view.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RD2, over the years we given our kids and grand kids way too much. We were always there when they needed. Consequently, they never had to work to get out of a tight spot. This, caused them to expect the bail outs. Then, came the attitudes.

Kids will take you right down the road and into Chapter 13 and then, you find out that you have to schedule an appointment in order to have them do for you when you get older and can't do for yourself.

So it is with amnesty.

Amnesty garners votes for the politicians and that's about it.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes it does. It also invalidates the laws of the land and adds to the problem instead of fixing it. I have never understood why so many people think Ronald Reagan was a good President. If the truth be told he is the one who set us on this debt crises we are in along with many other bad policies he brought about including amnesty.

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never understood why so many people think Ronald Reagan was a good President.

Probably because of your age.

Ronald Reagan was a man that lived through the Great Depression; World War II, the resulting Economic Boom during the 1950's that made this country the World Leader of all things good.

America was a proud nation. "One Nation, Under God..." This worked well. Reagan was part of that generation.

Reagan was old enough to see this nation pull itself out of a terrible decade of which, had it not happened the young men of the 1930's would not have had the resolve to muster the strength gleaned from "hard times" to stop the effort of world domination at the hand of a few nitwits. God gave us the victory in World War II. God ushered us into a time of prosperity. As this nation began to turn from God in the 1960's it's been all down hill ever since.

"Without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure. ... “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone ..."
    RR

No, it wasn't Ronald Reagan. God has given this nation what it wants. This nation has turned from it's first love and strayed.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure what age has to do with it. Regan had some great sayings, but he was not a wise leader as he sent us into serious debt and started amnesty for illegal criminals as well as other things.

6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure what age has to do with it. Regan had some great sayings, but he was not a wise leader as he sent us into serious debt and started amnesty for illegal criminals as well as other things.

Age plays a vital role when it comes to experience in life; insights are usually gleaned from said age; wisdom is usually the result of putting it all together.

But, alas, as you said, Reagan was just chocked full of uttering some great sayings and was otherwise void of understanding leadership. Well, to each his own.