1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

does ANYBODY like....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Brice

Brice New Member

Originally posted by Clean1:
    if the people who write these songs are singing to get attention then that isn't glorifying God. don't tell me that they aren't singing to get attetnion.... your not them so don't answer for them.

Maybe you shouldn't answer for them either. You are attempting to discern a motive, but only because you dislike the music. Just because you dislike the presentation doesn't give you the right to disparage people. There are many pastors with whom I disagree with delivery, but it doesn’t mean their motives or words are wrong.

[ November 07, 2005, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Brice ]

2. Brice

Brice New Member

Its funny how we try to imply Jesus wouldn’t do something just because we don’t like it. Would Jesus listen to hymns? Would Jesus listen to bluegrass? Would Jesus watch Sportscenter? Would Jesus watch The Passion? Would Jesus speed? Would Jesus use His blinker when turning? I would think that if Jesus saw a group reaching a lost culture and we have no reason to doubt their motives (and if the words are clearly ok), that Jesus would be happy. These groups are trying to reach a culture that many have trouble reaching. We are supposed to try our best to do as Jesus would do, but your preference does not dictate what Jesus would or wouldn’t do!! Funny thing is I HIGHLY doubt Jesus would be sitting here typing on Baptist Board. I would imagine Jesus probably wouldn’t use the internet at all, but that is my opinion not fact. By the way your quote that says “just because it has christian lyrics doesn't make it a christian song”, simply disqualifies everything. This basic assertion would also disqualify hymns.

3. Brice

Brice New Member

Show me where it doesn't. Include Book, Chapter, and verse. </font>[/QUOTE]We don't have to. The Scriptures state that all things in worship are to be decent (or seemly) and in order. If you're saying that rap is a hallowed form of worship, you have the burden of showing how it is compatible with God's standard of decency.

David danced before the Lord in the OT.

He also sacrificed animals. Show where Christ or the Apostles danced in their worship.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Worship - The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.

Reverence - A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love; veneration.

So now we can establish that worship is an expression of love and reverence is a feeling of respect and love.

Decent - Characterized by conformity to recognized standards of propriety or morality.

Order - A condition of logical or comprehensible arrangement among the separate elements of a group.

It seems that by definition this leaves things pretty open. IMO this is meant to be because we are all different and will obviously worship God in different ways and by different means.

Here is a great hymn – Great is Thy Faithfulness
    Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
    There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
    Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
    As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
    Refrain
    Great is Thy faithfulness!
    Great is Thy faithfulness!
    Morning by morning new mercies I see.
    All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
    Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
    Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
    Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
    Join with all nature in manifold witness
    To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
    Refrain
    Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
    Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
    Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
    Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!
    Refrain

Now here is Cross Movements’ - Lord You Are (2x)

[Chorus]
    Every time I think of You
    When I think about the things You do
    Oh it's not too hard to see it's not what You do but its who You are
    Good, Holy, Pure, all of this and God You're so much more!
    Doin' your will
    I can just chill
    Focus on who You are

(Lord You Are)
    Kindness, Compassion, Timeless, Matchless, Divine in Your actions
    (Lord You Are)
    The Bedrock of trust
    Sin stops on your block cause You're the head cop You're Just
    (Lord You Are)
    So Gracious and Merciful
    Praise - You deserve it, so worthy of worship, Oh!
    (Lord You Are)
    We call You hope, we call You Peace and Love
    You're all of these – You're all of the above

[Verse One]
    The Bible told me holy are Your ways (Your ways)
    Nobody stops or had to start Your days (Your days)
    So I marvel at Your endlessness
    And at the fact that You're righteous, You're m'quadesh
    You got the victory and the glory is already Yours
    And we can be sure Your character is morally pure, Lord
    We can't help but adore You
    Can't help but applaud You
    Our soul saw You so now we can't help that it's all You

My God You're awesome, majestic

I’m not seeing a problem here. God Bless.

4. Brice

Brice New Member

It's a cutural thing, but not a good one. ;)

5. gekko

gekko New Member

"David danced before the Lord in the OT.

He also sacrificed animals. Show where Christ or the Apostles danced in their worship. " - Aaron

well. it seems i'm back into this convo. what you said here Aaron has baffled me a little bit. are you insinuating that us as christians shouldn't be following what the old testament is saying? or taking in what a "man after God's own heart" has displayed as one of the ways he praised God? hmm...

Brice, i like where you're going here. good on ya.

gekko.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are God's standards of propriety or morality in worship? In other words, what is the outward demeanor that God desires of Christian worship? A wicked, idolatrous kind commanded that all kinds of musick were to be used in the worship of his idol, Dan. 3:5. Would God command the same thing?

Order - A condition of logical or comprehensible arrangement among the separate elements of a group.

That's only part of it. It is also ensuring that rank and office in the assembly is observed and honored.

It seems that by definition this leaves things pretty open.

It's not open at all. Paul was correcting the excesses and abuses of the Corinthians. decently and in order is drawing a boundary.

IMO this is meant to be because we are all different and will obviously worship God in different ways and by different means.

Then what was wrong with the Corinthians ways and means?

Here is a great hymn – Great is Thy Faithfulness...[snip lyrics]

Now here is Cross Movements’ - Lord You Are ...[snip lyrics]

I’m not seeing a problem here. God Bless.

We're not talking about the words, we're talking about the manner or style in which something is done in Christian worship.

7. gekko

gekko New Member

what does it matter how praise is put up to God. we'd better be praising Him no matter what the circumstances. how that happens is up to the individual. i'm sure bein' in a mosh pit (for me at least) is not my way of praise. although, for someone who does that all the time, i'm sure to that particular individual, a mosh pit is a way of praise. i may be going a little extreme. for me, freestyle dancing is one of the ways i worship the Lord. playing guitar is another. reading His word. praying. on another note: worship is not just music. if it is, then a whole whack of christians today are pretty lax on the idea of worship. i see in every church, when musical worship comes on, people may sing, but they sure don't sing with all their worth... i try and do my best, 'cuz i love music. it's another way for me to worship the Lord.

let's think from a different perspective. i hope this works.

suppose rap/hip-hop never portrayed a life in the ghetto. suppose classical portrayed the thug life. straight from the beginning, people living in the hood would listen to classical music. and the select other few who did not live in the hood, would listen to rap/hip-hop. now, if i was one who did not like the 'thug life' at all. and i heard classical music blaring from some dude next to me in the intersection. i would tend to think that classical music is crap, and that it represents the 'thug life' and that it should not be a way to worship God if it could even be possible that classical music could. (in this situation that i am playing out.)

what i'm saying is. it's not just about the manner or style in which something is done in christian 'worship'. the lyrics have got just as much to do with it. the only reason the majority of people today stereotype rap/hip-hop is because it started in the ghetto in the first place. if classical music started in the ghetto, then the majority of people would stereotype classical music to be essentially wrong.

we are talking about the words. and we are talking about the manner in which something is done in christian 'worship.'

boy, i sure hope this makes sense. if it doesn't make sense, please point it out. i will try my best to fix the mis-understanding.

gekko.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you can show me that God's presence is still between the cherubim on the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant, then I'd say you have Scriptural grounds for dancing. You should note, however, that the priests never danced in the service of the Tabernacle.

But forget David. Christ is better than David, and He is our example. So I ask again, did He command dancing? Did his disciples dance?

The point is that there is a difference between the Old and New Testaments. There has been a change in the priesthood and a change in the law, Heb. 7:12. Christian worship will resemble the rites of OT worship about as much as a rose bloom resembles the seed from which it sprang.

This is a principle usually forgotten (or never learned at all) by those looking for Scriptural justification for charismatic practices, e.g., dancing, in church.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It matters because God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth, John 4:23-24.

True worship is not defined by the individual or the culture, it is defined by God, and true worship is known by 1) it's object (they that worhsip Him), and 2) it's manner (in spirit and in truth).

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That should say, "A wicked, idolatrous KING..."

12. gekko

gekko New Member

well, we might as well forget the whole OT if that's how you're going to be. let's just go by the whole new testament then. you'd better be shaping up, along with the rest of us, to follow the 197 commandments in the new testament. if you forget the OT, and what happened in the OT. then you in the wrong faith bro'. i'm sorry. i cannot forget kind david. or the psalms. i will not.

Psalms 149:3 - Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psalms 150:4 - Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Ecclesiastes 3:4 - A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

there's a few verses for you. the new testament is based on the OT. so give up trying to forget the OT. if david danced in the OT. why can't we? I cannot give you scripture reference where Jesus commands us to dance. because dancing was never a commandment. it's a way of praise to the Lord. can YOU give ME scripture reference where it commands us NOT to dance?

13. gekko

gekko New Member

ok then. what's the definition of worshiping God in Spririt and in Truth? i don't know what you're getting at. you're going nowhere with that. how can you say that these christian hip-hop artists AREN'T worshipping God in Spirit and in Truth? and what are you getting at with the verse from Daniel?

14. superdave

superdave New Member

including Suthurin Gospel? Kewl!

I am continuously amazed at the folks that I speak to who have a real problem with "Christian Rock" and talk about it being the devils music with christian words, yet they love southern gospel, which clearly is rooted in country music, same smell if you ask me. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

There are tons of cultural issues involved in selecting appropriate music for personal listening and for corporate worship, its not a cut and dried (good Baptist Tobacco reference there) issue that can be argued directly from the scriptures (the style arguments that is) since the Bible doesn't specifically indicate style. We can use Biblical principles to help us in the effort, but that many times precludes us from using music that we have always used in Church, but can't defend doctrinally or from the standpoint of style. many times, folks are willing to throw out the new stuff that they determine is questionable, but won't go through "great hymns of the faith" and do the same. Its all about being consistent, balanced and reasonable about it, since good men can and do disagree on this issue.

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

HOW we worship God has always been important to God. [​IMG]

In the very first book of the Bible God gives us an example of just how important it is to God that we do things the right way. Some say that it doesn't matter HOW we worship or praise God, just that we do it, but then why did God reject Cain's sacrifice? Back then, a sacrifice was a form of worshipping God.
    Cain gave God a sacrifice. We see later that God required the Israelites to give of their crops to Him. And Cain WAS a farmer, not a shepherd, so he was using the things he himself produced, and giving it out of the increase that GOD had provided.
    So why didn't God accept Cain's sacrifice?
    Because it was not the proper FORM of sacrifice. First of all, it did not include an animal. Second of all, it was not of Cain's FIRSTfruits. Cain had given God some leftovers.

So sacrificing was a FORM of worship, and God rejected Cain's because it wasn't done IN THE WAY that God had ordained.

Its the same with music. There are many different ways to use Godly music to worship and praise Him. No one here is saying that you can only use one style, or one tempo. However, we also don't need to, and should NOT, copy the world's styles in some sort of attempt to "praise God."

16. gekko

gekko New Member

you make a great point there bap. with the cain and abel deal. i agree with you there. i'm not saying we should have hip-hop in the churches. or rock. or country. contemporary and hymns is what i go for. love the hymns. but also love the contemporary.

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dude,

I’ve been checking it out man, this is some far out of here in the cosmos, I got questions:

Are these dudes with it, for real, I mean like I can’t understand what’s happening, you know like I can’t even understand most of the flight of this trip they’re saying man?

What planet are these dudes from? They scream words I don’t even dig on, you know like what I’m saying man. These cats are like talking foreign, how cool is that? Wow man gnarly is not, bad I mean bad, good is bad but cool is bad if you know what I’m sayin? Man… I mean like what a trip.

This journey from off my planet did wrong or what, wow, the acid set on the flower did blossom and took to the spring, what’s happening in a happening place? The pyramid will bring this if it’s directional in the voyage but the ship is on retro passing the waves. You dudes are out there. Clue it back and real is cool, is this real or what? It ain’t cool to leave us in the park with the fuss while you guys party on out of the zone. You dudes must be trippin off some bad stock or something, clue me in, don’t make me straight… man! Get with it, be cool don’t leave us hanging, that ain’t cool. You know what I mean, if you don’t man get what I mean how cool is this? Don’t bring me down man I don’t think you guys are being cool about this. It’s real so be real!

http://www.897powerfm.com/playlist.html

What's with project86's trip?

18. gekko

gekko New Member

uh, what are you getting at?

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly, you're cool!

20. gekko

gekko New Member

cool is a myth.

if the point of your post was to compare how hard it is to understand rap/hip-hop. mmmm, you'd better brush up on your english. besides, it's more complicated then you think if you want to get into all the metaphors and symbolism.

but i'm serious. what WAS the point of your post?