1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

does ANYBODY like....

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I'm trying to get out of you and Brice, and your answer seems to be, "Anything I want it to be."

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be ridiculous. Then "all things" are decent and in order? (1 Cor. 14:40)

People really bug me when applying principles of the OT. They say David danced but offered sacrifices. Yet if I wanted to get an earring they would quote strait from Leviticus.

I don't care about the earring as much as why you'd want one. Men with earrings look girly to me anyway. Why not just put a bow in your hair?

The point is people such as yourself only use the OT to pick and choose what will be accepted and what will be done away with. Please come up with some sort of guidline.

I've provided enough information to demonstrate that there is a guideline, and your methods are incompatible with it. I won't do your homework for you.

To sum up the conversation so far, you and Brice and lizard-boy have stated that rap and hip-hop are compatible with Christian worship. All I did was say, "Prove it." And when you can't, it's suddenly my fault?

3. gekko

gekko New Member

if i come across in the way "anything i want it to be" when worshipping God in Spirit and in Truth. then i am sorry. i do not mean to come across this way. i don't believe that.

worshipping God in spirit and in truth to me is kinda like this:

- reading His word.
    - praying to Him.
    - fulfilling the great commish.
    - fellowship with other believers.
    - praising Him with songs, and instruments, and dance. (like king david says in psalms.)

those type of things. some hip-hop songs may be praise and worship to the Lord. (such as: Lord You Are by crossmovement) the other majority of christian hip-hop is lifestories of how God has really helped them out, and most of all the lyrics are out there to help in fulfilling the great commish. spreading His love, His awesomeness, spreading the gospel. may not be the full gospel in the whole song. but it is part of it. the other parts may be in the other songs, may be in another recording. it plays out.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

lizard-boy? couldn't that be classified as "name-calling" ?

it is much easier to type "gekko" or "gek" than "lizard-boy"

i'm just stating a fact. no need for tension.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I think people should worry more about doing what God tells THEM to do in their personal life and less about calling other people "sinful" for listening to different music or dressing differently.

Rap is not my kind of music, though I have actually enjoyed some of Will Smith's rap. I like soul sometimes. My taste is music varies greatly. I tend to prefer soundtracks.

6. gekko

gekko New Member

the beginning of this all i asked was who likes hip-hop/rap music. if so, what artists? and if not. WHY not?

just a simple short answer would'a done good. but these people. and i'm including myself. got off track from the original question that started all this.

so shall we keep arguing? or start the original question over again?

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

gekko,

Im sorry to have gotten it off track. I saw a question asked and I tried to answer it as best I could.

and Aaron,
    come on....lizard-boy? That doesn't help, does it? [​IMG]

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only meant it in fun. [​IMG] If gekko is offended, I apologize. [​IMG]

9. Brice

Brice New Member

Bapmom,

Although I may not agree with your conclusion, I do appreciate your sincere answer. You make some valid points. [​IMG]

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thanks Brice!

Back to the trenches.........

11. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

And getting back to the original question...

Why many people cannot stand the sound of rap,

Reason #2. Listeners of rap music drive around with their stereo turned up, with their windows rolled down, and you can hear them coming 200 yards away. They install massive speakers in the trunk for just this purpose. It's as if they were intentionally trying to get on everyones nerves.

12. gekko

gekko New Member

I like you Niteshift am not a big fan of boomboxes either... i don't like to hear just the bass. i infact like to hear what they are saying. so i turn down the bass. (not too much, 'cuz then most of the fun is gone. lol) i like bass. i also like treble. and mid-range. i am a huge fan of balance. so i balance 'em. so as not to annoy people. if i do end up annoying people without knowing it. then that person(s) can ask if i could change it up a bit.

problem solved for my area up here in canada.
    gekko.

God Bless.

p.s. i don't even have a decent system. i got pioneer speakers (JUNK!! sorry to offend those who like pioneer) and a JVC deck. $100 boxing day sale. doesn't play mp3's and skips the disc everytime i go over a speed bump...

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

So maybe it's to everyone's advantage that you can't afford a better system...Heeyyy Just Kidding:eek:)

14. tenor

tenor New Member

One of the greatest lyricists of all time.

</font>[/QUOTE]Here, here! Not only lyricist, composer also. It is ashamed about his lifestyle.

15. tenor

tenor New Member

All three are part of what makes up music, but all three are not "necessary." A mother singing a lullaby to her child has rhythm and melody but not harmony. So is this not music?

Do I personally like the rap/hip-hop style? No. There is too much emphasis on the rhythmic aspect (this also happens in much Southern Gospel).

A major point gekko and Brice are trying to make is that there is sub-culture that this musical style will reach, whereas more traditional styles that speak to you and me will not.

Would I use this style in the churhc where I Minister of Music -- absolutely not! (I love my job!) Really, it's not appropriate to my church setting.

I love the songs of Cole Porter and George Gershwin. Will I use them in worship - no!

16. Brice

Brice New Member

Tenor,

You're right on [​IMG] .

17. Brice

Brice New Member

Please do not take offense to this post. I just wish folks would not call something bad just because they dislike it. You see lyrics are VERY important to this discussion because they make up the content of the music. Content is crucial because that determines whether a song is good or not. You see I can sing a song acappella, but I am not sinning. You assume the Spirit is not in control when a Christian decides to rap. That is wrong and you have no support for that conclusion. I don’t believe the spirit is only in control when a hymn is playing! Why can’t the Holy Spirit use a rapper as a vessel to reach a cultural group? The fact is he can! I personally do NOT like rap. It does nothing for me, but it reaches a great deal of people. Your post gave no support for calling this genre a sin. Rap has melody, harmony and rhythm and as Tenor pointed out it really doesn’t matter if all three are in sync or are present. You say rap goes nowhere, but for many it does. Please define what you see as an acceptable form of music. Please give examples. Thanks and I hope you know the spirit of this post is not an angry one. God bless.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All three are part of what makes up music, but all three are not "necessary." A mother singing a lullaby to her child has rhythm and melody but not harmony. So is this not music?</font>[/QUOTE]That's a good point and actually supports bapmom's premise. Remove the melody, you don't have a lullaby. think her emphasis was more that each element has its place. Melody is predominant and implies harmony and rhythm.

Rap turns this order upside down.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Puh-leeeze! :rolleyes: If there is melody, it is only in an emaciated form suffering the pangs of death, not even qualified to be called "melody."

You protest that folks call rap evil because they don't like it (though I have yet to see one offer any such argument), yet you counter by asserting that rap has qualities that it doesn't? If rap had a melody, it wouldn't be rap.

Tenor's whole point was that music didn't require melody to be called music, a wholly arbitrary assumption, yet you would support his premise by denying it! [​IMG]

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The problem with what tenor and Brice are saying is first of all....when a mother sings a lullaby to her baby she IS singing melody. The melody is to be the leader, the dominant aspect. So she is still using that part, and of course as she sings she is using rhythm automatically. (not all music does, btw.)

Rap however, is the exact opposite of what we see in the Bible. The rhythm has taken over and is now the ONLY part present. There is no melody in rap, its all rhythm. And the Bible is crystal clear that the body is never to be in control or dominant in the Christian's life. This is VERY difficult for us, I know, but it is what we are to be striving for. A diet of rap music will in no way help us in our attempt to keep the body under subjection.

I want to point out too, that there is too much emphasis these days on using music in and of itself as an evangelistic tool. That is never its function in the Bible....look it up. If unsaved kids are coming to a music concert they are coming to hear the music. If its out of balance music, and they DO happen to get saved, (because God's word never comes back void), then they are being "convinced" of Christ from pretty shallow ground.

Where is the need to change? Saved kids I know who continue to listen to "out of balance" music never are doing much for Christ. Their life exhibits a shallowness. (I cannot speak for their hearts, but their LIFE gives us a clue.)

Kids are being fooled into thinking they can "accept Christ" like its fire insurance, and still live exactly how they were before. There's a problem here.