1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone ever yield on here?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Nov 4, 2010.

?
  1. I have never been defeated on Baptistboard!

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. When stumped I do not admit it- I just disappear.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. When stumped, I admit defeat.

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. I do not think anyone should ever disagree with anyone because feelings might be hurt

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO, No, NO; you thought you were mistaken, but you were wrong....

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is how I feel about Calvinism. I sincerely believe it is error. I present many scriptures to you that I believe absolutely refute your view. I also want truth to prevail. I do this because I care about you.

I don't know what you mean about running away. I have never run away. I don't come on the forums everyday, but I come back in a few days and present my views again.

I want to know the truth. I have changed my views on a few subjects over the years. I believed in original sin for years. It was my own study that led me to question it, and reading a few good articles on the subject confirmed in my mind that is was not scriptural. I do believe all men are sinners, but I do not believe sin is passed down genetically. Sin is a moral and spiritual problem, not physical. So I have changed my view on this.

If you could show me convincing scripture that clearly shows our sin nature is passed down from father to son, I might be persuaded to believe in original sin again. So far no one has done that.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Sorry Luke, but I don’t think that defeat is the right word. You talk about victory in a debate coming when error is eradicated and the truth surfaced. Well there are plenty of times that one party may have thought they totally proved their point, but their opponent still does not see it.

I have had many spirited disagreements on this board and some have caused me to re evaluate my positions. Over the years some of my positions have changed, not because I was beaten, but because I learned and grew. I have never felt the need to totally defeat anyone on this board.

You mentioned Mormonism Luke, and I think that is a great example. Of the many Mormon missionaries that have visited at my home over the years I have never one time led one to Christ on my porch. (I will talk all day on the porch but I don’t invite them inside, just one of my rules). I never really expected to. What I hope I have done is present my case and created that seed of curiosity that will drive that individual to study and seek the truth on their own long after our conversation ends. My goal has never been to defeat, embarrass, or prove them wrong. I only want to expand their understanding, just a little bit, planting and cultivating seeds that may someday come to harvest.

This board is a great source of learning for me. We can disagree and argue, but in the end we are still brothers and sisters in Christ each trying to uplift the other. Yes, I know there are exceptions to this rule and some conversations end rather quickly, but I hope all of you here on the board know how much you have helped me in my spiritual and intellectual growth.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I've not said a word to you about original sin. The thread to which you are referring has absolutely nothing to do with ORIGINAL sin. The thread is about depravity.

For the purposes of that thread, I don't care if you were born totally depraved or if you became totally depraved when you reached the age of accountability. The point is that you are thoroughly wicked.

If you want to discuss original sin, start a thread on it.

But don't pretend that you didn't avoid posts 131 and 128.

And BTW, I was not talking about you in particular when I started this thread. I was talking about an unfortunate trend that when people's position is totally undermined, as yours has been, rather than saying, "You know, you have a point. I'll have to think about that", they just run away or result to ad homenim.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No one said anything about embarrassing someone- that would be utterly ridiculous. But if your goal was not to defeat error and prove the truth of the Gospel then your motive was incomplete, wasn't it?

We seek the triumph of truth as ministers of the Gospel.

BTW, I like your signature!:thumbsup:

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I've had to pubically eat my foot on the Baptist Board!

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

This thread made me immediately think of one person that If I may I would like to compliment. I have noticed over the years that tinytim has consistently show class and grace, freely admitting so when he felt convicted that he had misspoke about something. I have long admired his spirit for doing so.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Excellent post. Very appropriate for this thread.:thumbs:

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, let me complement you in that you have always been wise in your postings & prospectives concerning others paths to God providing they understand Jesus is Lord & claim Him as such. Whats more, you have not been in the pack of deliberate haters you sometimes see here & you have been very even handed & fair in dealing with all. Thank you for that level of maturity.

11. quantumfaith

12. quantumfaith

13. quantumfaith

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks EWF. To be honest, I've had a few posts which, at the last minute, I did not submit which were not so even handed and fair.

Yes, the person of Christ should be the place of agreement, fellowship and peace among brethren.

HankD