1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Kenneth77, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Kenneth77

Kenneth77 New Member

I feel that the Lord is calling me into missions. Right now, I feel as though I can't quit my fulltime job and go to school.

Also, I feel my mission field is the Native Americans(specifically Cherokee), and the Hispanics.

My questions are: Does anyone have any suggestions for colleges, universities in or around N.C. that have nighttime classes with emphasis on missions?
    Do you know of any missionary boards that send missionaries to the native Americans?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try Baptist Missions to Forgotten Peoples, Inc. (www.bmfp.org)

I have a friend is starting his deputation to become a missionary to the English-speaking people in Mexico; there's a whole group of Americans, British, and Canadians around Lake Chapala, Mexico, and few (if any) Baptist churches there. You can read more about him and his family at www.ifbweb.com/taylors

3. Kenneth77

Kenneth77 New Member

4. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

If you seriously believe the Lord is calling you into missions, you should prepare for it. Be willing to quit your job and move to wherever to do God's will. He will guide, and he will provide.

5. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

Start to study, as you are working. Don't forsake ministering to your family--remember God says whoever doesn't provide for his own is worse than an infidel. Until God provides an opening that offers financial provision for you, you can do much of the preparation from your own library & Web:
    Read up on the tribe you feel a call towards. Understand their culture, their present situation economically, spiritually, emotionally. Learn the roadblocks in their path.
    Find books & articles written by American Indians who have come to Christ. There are tracts available from various companies that are written to/by American Indians. Good resources for ministering. The International Bible Society has a NT made with American Indians in mind. Check it out.
    How well do you know the Word of God? You don't even have to have seminary training to minister, if you are established in the faith. Can you answer the "New Age" thinking that is really American Indian pagan religion? If you cannot, get into the Word & get established! There are some excellent Bible studies by mail (private message me or email me if you want their names) who will help you get your Biblical feet on the ground where you don't have to live hearth & home to go to Bible school.
    Then:
    Is your church in support of any missions to American Indians? Can you take part in their short term mission plans? Do you live near a reservation? Can you begin ministering there on weekends now?
    If you are truly called, then present yourself a workman that does not need to be ashamed! Be established in God's truth. Know the people for whom you are burdened. Intercede for them at home: in private devotions & family worship; and bring them before the church for prayer. Seek the Lord for opportunities and He will give them to you!

6. Kenneth77

Kenneth77 New Member

PreacherDave, I've sent you a private message.

Thank you all for your advice. God bless you, Kenneth

7. Fred Kindhart

Fred Kindhart New Member

Hello and I think it is great that you feel the Lord is calling you into missions. I especially like the thoughts about hispanics. There is a hugh need for this in the US right now. We are missionaries in Mexico. I was reading your profile and there is no home church listed?? If you plan to do great things for God I feel you need to be very strong on local church. I know many people don't feel that way but then they want strong local churches to support them in what they do. I'm not trying to be hard or mean just encouraging you to lean on your local church and learn much from them as you prepare to do God's will. There are quite a few local Independent Baptist Churches in NC that have Bible Collages that study at night. I have a friend that has one in Granite Falls NC. If that is close to you and you are interested just let me know.
    God bless you. Fred