1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does anyone really believe Catholics are Christians?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Soulman, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I know there is alot of talk about catholics who get saved. Forget about the exceptions of the ones that hear the gospel for a moment.

Does anyone really believe that the RCC teaches a theology that would allow someone to be saved?

Do they even worship the same Jesus as Christians do? :eek:

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those I know who are Christians tell me they do not believe a number of the things the RCC teaches.

I am convinced that the majority of Christians sitting in the pews do not really know God. They mostly know about Him.

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by gb93433: I am convinced that the majority of Christians sitting in the pews do not really know God. They mostly know about Him.

Then how can you call them christians? Aren't christians people that know God?

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe that if someone cries out to the Lord in a Roman Catholic church, He will hear them and save them. Yet as I see it, if someone is claiming to be Born Again and is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, they should leave and join a good Armininan Church [​IMG]

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Ben W: Yet as I see it, if someone is claiming to be Born Again and is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, they should leave and join a good Armininan Church

Yes, I agree if saved they should leave and join a good bible believing church. The question is does the RCC teach a doctrine that will lead someone to salvation?

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would have to lean to No, Praying to dead saints and practicing Idolotry are hard to justify in light of Bible teaching!

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

A Catholic wouldn't be saved because of the teachings and doctrine of the RCC. It would be because of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God - possibly combined with the witness of someone who is born-again.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

No, I do not. The same thing can be applied to anyone or group who teaches "faith + works = salvation"

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they listen to theology, no, but if they listen to the music and read some of the books they might - they use the same stuff we do :) I found in one small city that the Catholic Book store had a better selection of evangelical books than the Christian book store.

There are a lot that say the chairismatic element in the RC are beleivers but not even sute of many of them. One of their big leaders used to be on televison and made statements that he still believed in Holy Mother church etc. He mentioned once that tongues really made the Eucarist special, personally I always thought the Eucarist went on the tongue :)

I'm sure there are some born again folks but not because of the theology for sure.

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Bottom line: I've never met a Catholic who seemed to be regenerate. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but they must be as rare as albino crows.

The gospel is in the Mass: "Behold the lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world." On paper it seems like there should be some new births occurring. But out here on the street, the results appear otherwise.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some know a little and some know more. It is not intellectual ascent such as gnosticism. But a real intimate relationship with the living God.

Just because someone calls themself a Christian may mean nothing other than religious nothingness. James writes about that matter when he mentions a saving faith.

Mt. 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

Also read http://bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=20883

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are around. A young man I roomed with in my first year of college was a Catholic Christian who shared the gospel of Christ with me. He was the very first person to ever witness to me personally. Partly due to his witness and the witness of others I became a Christian.

13. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Well i highly doubt you can come to faith in Jesus Christ under Catholic doctrine alone.
    That being said God can save anybody anywhere.
    I don't see how you could remain in the RCC if you were saved unless you just never got discipled or you never read your Bible.
    If you had to give a percentage I would say there is about a 5% chance you could truly being saved and be a RC follower. That being said that would make it about 95% chance that the Pope is not in heaven. If he is then he had to refute everything he ever espoused.

14. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I'd say Shannon's percentages are about right. Unfortunately most catholics are not Christians.

Having said that I have met several catholics who I believe without a doubt are saved, despite the fact that they hold to some errant doctrine.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Demographically, all Catholics are Christians.

Whether any individual Catholic will go to heaven or not is not dependent on their theology but on God's grace. I believe that there are many Catholics who will go to heaven and probably many who won't. I believe the same is true of Baptists.

Just because I believe it does not make it true.

16. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

True.

As an ex-catholic I can tell you (as you may well know) that most catholics would not qualify as having a personal relationship with Christ. Some do but I think they are the minority.

17. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I think it could be said that probably most Baptists are not Christians given currents Church stats. Maybe we need to look at our own house first.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

But as a Calvinist, wouldn't you believe that makes it GOD'S fault if most Baptist or Catholics aren't Christian?

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

But as a Calvinist, wouldn't you believe that makes it GOD'S fault if most Baptist or Catholics aren't Christian? </font>[/QUOTE]Excellent point!!!

20. shannonL

shannonL New Member

That was pretty smooth Diane