1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does anyone take genisis literally

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by 33ad, Aug 2, 2012.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

33ad, good questions. It seems to me that when we read scripture we should think about it in two different ways. First, the interpretation: questions to ask ourselves to help us know the interpretation might be, "what does it mean?", How does it make sense with the verses just before and after it?" "How does it fit in with the overall story of the book/letter?". "was the author writing in a certain style, like poetry?" there are sever other questions as well. Keep in mind that what was written has a specific meaning and was not intended to be made to say whatever we want it to say.

The second way would be application, where we seek guidance from God as to how I am affected by this scripture. Understanding the proper interpretation of a scripture will help us in our application to ourselves.

I would say the Bible is simple enough for it to be helpful to all people and difficult enough to challenge all people. I also think it's very important that we have a community of believers with whom we are accountable to with whom we discuss the interpretation and application of scripture.

Great questions!

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, brother, ..... no. We are not to interpret the Bible as we see fit. We are to interpret the Bible in accordance with what God intended and how He sees fit. It's His message - His Words. We are to strive to understand what He means.

We should interpret the Bible with two things to keep in mind.

1. The make-up of the Bible.
    • The grammar and sentence structure in English is not always exactly the same as the original languages' grammar and sentence structure. It would behoove us to understand some of that and if learning these languages is not feasible, then learning about them is good. If learning about them is not feasible, then listening to those who do know them is good.
    • The Bible is made of up poetry, history, law, prophecy, and more. The genre is important to take into consideration.
    • The author's audience and purpose of each individual book is important.
    • How each book relates to all the other books is important to consider.
    • The history, culture, and current events of the day of each book is helpful.
    2. What does the Bible SAY about interpreting/understanding the Bible?
    • Portions of it should be memorized. "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11
    • God does the revealing TO us. "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." Psalm 119:18
    • The scriptures need to be examined thoroughly against everything - even against the teaching of a great Christian and our own pre-conceived notions. "Now these Jews (Bereans) were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so." Acts 17:11
    • There is a need for competent Bible commentators and competent Bible teachers. So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” Acts 8:30
    • By the same token, there is a time when the only source of understanding that we need is the Holy Spirit's instruction of what the Word means. "But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him." 1 John 2:27
    I like what humblethinker said in his above post.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :type: Steps on soap box:

Frankly, me thinks, that you’re going about this wrong. If a husband is setting a great example of what a husband and father should be to his wife he wouldn’t be having to try to impose such interpretations on her that she is in sin for not wanting (more) children with him. The blessing of a wife’s desire to be the mother of her husband’s children will only come through his correct humble behavior and her freely coming to that decision. In this case I suspect a lot of humility is needed beginning in prayer and conceived in a proper sense of loving grace and that of willingly and sacrificially being a servant to his wife, willing giving his all for her rather than attempting to declare his wisdom and righteousness and levying on her that he is to be her lord.

Yes, the Bible is the "Instruction Book of Life" and is full of wisdom in how to live it and to be blessed in it which is easy to understand but it is also just as easy to abuse by taking what you want to hear and neglecting one’s own responsibilities to adjust his attitudes to conform to giving his love freely, in grace and humility, and thereby freely receiving love, trust and respect in return. The blessings that come by God are rooted in giving love not taking it, being a servant to others, giving of yourself freely not because they deserve it but in grace, and waiting patiently and in humility while understanding that the more you know about righteousness the more YOU will know that YOU are a sinner of the worst sort (1Ti 1:15) and are most undeserving but by God’s grace and that in the power of giving love is what brings the acceptance, glory and blessings in life.

For example: I often explain when presenting the Gospel to a skeptic that if God were to simply appear before you and Declare “I am the Lord your God and you are to love and obey Me or you will go to Hell!” that that would not achieve a response of love but of fear and that is not true love and would bring Him no glory. God wants you to come to Him freely in love of the Truth and faith that He IS Love. I tell them God will give them everything they need to come to faith (Mat 7:7-8) and it all begins in seeing and understanding His love which He wisely reveals in His Word in that how He died for us in love (John 1) and this was not in any way because we deserved it, this was His plan and this was freely given through and because of His Great Loving Grace. That is an example of how Love works, God is Love, and He tells us to follow Him and when we do it it blesses Him and brings Him glory. It’s all about bringing Love into the world and serving through giving love in grace to “freely” receive love and servitude in return for the good, this kind of love can’t be forced.

Steps off soap box…

:)

#23 Benjamin, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
  4. Wherever You Go

Wherever You Go New Member

For the record, I believe that most of the Bible is to be interpreted literally, and that the parts that are not, are usually set aside by the text. IE, the gospels will say, "Thus he spake unto them a parable" and we see that it was a parable and not literal. The same thing is often found in the prophetic writings, IE "I saw a woman riding upon a beast" or "I saw four beasts rising up out of the sea" and then the passage goes on to explain exactly what that means. If no explanation is given, then it generally means it is literal.

Then there are the figures of speech that are used, the hyperbole, and so on. Those should be fairly easy to spot.

When Christ says that it only takes a little amount of faith to move a mountain, though, I believe that is literal.
    :godisgood:

5. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I take Gen literally and Gen 38 is not about birth control.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Yes, I take the geinis acount litierally.

There is no reason not to.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I think someone has been absorbing to much Dugger theology from watching too many Dugger episodes.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I read the book with the Historical Grammatical Hermanutic. So, I agree with G as do many if not most Fundamentalists and Conservative Evangelicals.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you are a liberal and have a need to believe in evolution.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus and Paul took it quite literally, so you have to be smarter then God Incarnate to make the case, and "good luck" with that!

11. Wherever You Go

Wherever You Go New Member

Amen to that!

I just got back from the "Teach Them Dilligently" home-school conference. Speakers included Ken Ham-- one of my favorite public figures of today-- and a couple of other really good creation speakers. I made friends with speaker Pat Roy from Vision Forum-- a great guy.

Jesus, Paul, and yes even Peter, I believe, refer to Genesis and take it literally. Peter even warns against uniformitarianism, which was not known by that name at the time, but it was important enough that Peter guided by the Holy Spirit saw it important enough to warn against.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Is that a typo? Are you saying Genesis 38 says use condoms for birth control?