1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does believing play a part in Salvation ?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Receiving the Truth !

1 Thess 2:13

For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Whenever we read of any receiving the Word of God or Truth thats an evidence of them having already been Sanctified by the Spirit unto belief of the Truth. For instance we read of some jews in berea Acts 17:10-11

10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

They received the truth with readiness of mind, thats because of the Spirit's Sanctifying Work 2 Thess 2:13

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Unto belief of the Truth as in the Gospel, the Word of Truth Eph 1:13

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

These here without the Spirit's activity of 2 Thess 2:13 would not have spiritually heard the Truth nor Trusted in it.

Eph 1:13 is not describing the activity of the Natural man in the flesh, who is at enmity with God Rom 8:7-8

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

These do not receive the Word of Truth with all readiness of mind !

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Heart in Rom 10:9-10 !

Rom 10:9-10

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Let me start off by saying, by nature here is the indictment against mans heart Jer 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Its by nature deceitful and desperately wicked ! And the word desperately 'anash :

I.to be weak, sick, frail

A.(Qal)

i.to be incurable

ii.to be sick

iii.desperate, incurable, desperately wicked, woeful, very sick (pass participle) (metaph.)

B.(Niphal) to be sick

Its even incurably wicked ! That means that God is done with it , He only gives a New Heart to accomplish His Holy Purposes like Promised here in the New Covenant Ezk 36:26

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Thats why the Heart of Rom 10:9-10 must be a New Heart given by New Birth, a Circumcised Heart Deut 30:6

And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

Rom 2:29

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Now many religionists make their appeal to this passage as to make it to be setting forth a condition that the natural unregenerate person must perform from the heart in order to get God to save them ! But that is a lie in highest magnitude, for nothing about the natural human heart by nature can perform whats being stated here in the texts !

Now understand that the Heart is the seat of our affections, and by nature our affections can only mind the things of nature, the things of the flesh Rom 8:5

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Who are they after the flesh ? Simple, its any and all who have not been Born Again,

Ishmael represents them born after the flesh Gal 4:23,29

But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

In fact, the principle stated in Rom 8:5 is seen at work in Adam and Eve in the very beginning, when man was most Upright and innocent, yet notice how the Serpent appealed to their natural affections and heart, who can deny that Adam and Eve proved to mind the things of the flesh and how it resulted in death Rom 8:6

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

This proves that their hearts affections were set on things on earth as forbidden in Col 3:2

2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

This no man can do with his heart by nature, but yet thats exactly what the Heart in Rom 10:9-10 is doing, so it must be a New Heart after the Spirit !

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

That we might be justified by faith.

Gal 3:24

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The Gospel Promise is, the Just shall live by Faith Hab 2:4

Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

Now understand something, being Justified by Faith is not conditioned upon mans so called freewill, nay, its conditioned on the Predestination of God, thats what the shalls of God mean, it shall happen because He predetermined it to happen. He predetermined that the Just shall live by Faith.

Remember Pauls great summation here Rom 8:28-30

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Now what does it say about them predestinated in Vs 30, they are Called, then Justified, and that my friends stands for Justified by Faith, because it follows being called by the Gospel 2 Thess 2:14 !

But this Justification by Faith from Hearing the Gospel started back from God's Purpose Vs 28, which is the Purpose of Election Rom 9:11, So they were foreknew, predestinated, Called, and Justified [by Faith] and Glorified !

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Faith that is of the operation of God !

Col 2:12

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

This is the same as saying that Faith is the fruit , operation of the Spirit of God, Gal 5:22

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Lets demonstrate by word study. The word operation is the greek word energeia and means:

I.working, efficiency

A.in the NT used only of superhuman power, whether of God or of the Devil

effectual working as in Eph 3:7

Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Eph 4:16

From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Now the word fruit in Gal 5:22 is the greek word karpos:

II.that which originates or comes from something, an effect, result

A.work, act, deed

The english word for operation means:

effect, functioning, performance, working

workssimilar words:act, enterprise, procedure, process, project, undertaking

Also another scripture that lends to the fact that believing is of the fruit , operation of the Spirit of God is Eph 1:19-20

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

That word working in Vs 19 is the greek word used for operation in Col 2:12, and Paul plainly says the Ephesian believers had believed according to the working, operation of His Mighty Power.

That Mighty Power is the Spirit of God who raised up Christ from the dead 1 Pet 3:18

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

The Holy Ghost is sometimes called the Power of God like 2 Cor 6:7

By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,

This no doubt refers to preaching accompanied by the Holy Ghosts Power as in 1 Thess 1:5

For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

So Faith / believing in Christ is the result of the Operation, Fruit, and or Power of the God the Holy Spirit , His Power and Grace !205

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Spiritual Life that is before and requisite to believe is from Christ the Head of the Church, His Body ! He communicates it as the Last Adam, the Head of His Body the Church 1 Cor 15:45

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made[by the purpose of God] a living soul; the last Adam was made[by the purpose of God] a quickening spirit.

So Christ's Members of His Body believe with the Life we receive from Christ through His quickening Spirit Jn 6:63

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

The Spirit quickening here is in response to Christ being a quickening Spirit from 1 Cor 15:45, the Spirit carries out the Will of Christ in giving Life to one of His once dead in sin members ! And so by this Christ is the Author of Our Faith Heb 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

That word author means:

II.one that takes the lead in any thing and thus affords an example, a predecessor in a matter, pioneer

III.the author

I.beginning, origin

II.the person or thing that commences, the first person or thing in a series, the leader

III.that by which anything begins to be, the origin, the active cause

Christ is the active cause of our Faith, it begins to be primarily because of Him as the Last Adam.

Now the wicked religionists in the pride of his heart would tell us that faith is a product of his own freewill according to the flesh, exalting their human will over Christ's Spirit !206

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In some way, yes, but if my salvation depended on me, I would be a dead woman.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Predestinated to Faith in Christ !

Those who come to Faith in Christ were predestinated thereunto, whereby we read in Eph 1:4-5

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Predestinated to the adoption of Children or Sons by Jesus Christ ! The word for Children is actually the greek word huiothesia made up of Two words tithēmi :

I.to set, put, place

And the word huios :

I.a son

Hence to set or place as a Son through or by [dia] Jesus Christ !

And we are declared to be the Children/ Sons of God by Faith in Jesus Christ Gal 3:26

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Yes that word children here is the same greek word huios = Son !

And its because we were always Sons secretly even in Adam Lk 3:23, because of the Work of Christ to deliver us from the fall in him, The Spirit of Adoption is sent into our hearts to declare our Adoption Gal 4:6

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

And with the Spirit is effected the Fruit of Faith Gal 5:22 by which we come to Faith in Christ Jesus Gal 3:26.

Also Gal 4:6 is the fulfillment of the Covenant Promise to Ezk 36:26-27

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

All of this was Predestinated by God according to His choosing us in Christ before the foundation !

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Hi ! Did you understand post 85 ? The points I made ?

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do realise that satan also can quote the scriptures, and yet totally misunderstands them?

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

We who believe according to the working of His great power !

Eph 1:18-20

18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

If we omit the comma between the words believe and according in Vs 19 it reads "who believe according to the working of his mighty power,"

Now the self righteous religionsts denys this truth, and would tells that they believe according to their own freewill, they take the credit for believing, believing by their natural ability !

However those of us who truly had a conversion experience by the Grace of God acknolwdge that our believing was according to the working of His Great Power !

Its the same Great Power exerted by God when He raised up Christ from the dead, and then set Him at His Own Right Hand !

What took Almighty Power to cause the believer to believe, the self righteous freewiller did it with their own natural ability, they should be congratulated for a outstanding job !

However we that Truly Believe, we must congratulate, praise, give Honor to the Great Power of God.

The word power as in great power is the greek word kratos:

I.force, strength

II.power, might: mighty with great power

A.a mighty deed, a work of power

III.dominion

Its God's Dominion as in Rev 1:6

And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen

Their being made kings and priests was due to God's Dominion, and they must be made believers in order to be made Kings and Priests ! Kings and Priests unto God cannot be unbelievers !

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Faith is not a natural ability but a Spiritual Blessing !

Faith is not a natural ability but a Spiritual Blessing ! Its one of the many blessings Spiritual that God blesses His Chosen in Christ with Eph 1:3-4

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

And therefore its also called the Faith of God's Elect or Chosen Titus 1:1

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

The word elect here is from the word chosen in Eph 1:4, the word eklegomai:

I.to pick out, choose, to pick or choose out for one's self

One translation is :

Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, [fn]for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness,NASB

The Bible teaches that Faith is a Spiritual Blessing as it is a fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith/faithfulness,

So this Faith is given to us of God as a Spiritual Blessing in accordance with He having Chosen us in Christ before the foundation !

Also this means that we were in Christ before we received Faith, so Faith is a consequence/ evidence of having been Chosen in Christ before the foundation !

Yes this means that a person is in Christ before they have Faith in Him !

12. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

SBM - Have you ever considered writing a book? It would have to be easier than continually replying to your own posts in your own thread. Just an idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.