1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Calvinism require a higher spiritual intellect, spirituality, and...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. Lawson, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense taken brother & bless you for coming forth.:thumbsup:

2. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

This thread has served its purpose and has been derailed.

Would a moderator please lock the topic in order to preserve unity?:tear:

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, It was meant to mock a cry baby who apparently cannot accept Reformed theology as a valid Christian Faith. You are the one who outta be ashamed of himself.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I missed the memo where Luke was deemed the spokesperson for the "average church goer" and where he gets his information that allows him to know what "the average church goer" knows and doesn't know.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Where does anyone get information on the average of anything.

It is educated conjecture.

Can you say that the average person is not a tremendous Christian?

If not, based on what?

Whatever basis you have, apply that to my basis for saying what the average church goer is.

You are just being obstinate. Everyone here knows the average church goer is not a fine picture of spiritual maturity.

On and btw, this is a perfect example of your snarky-ness. Rather than saying, "Luke, where did you get the idea that the average church goer....", you had to say it this way, "I missed the memo where luke was deemed the spokeperson..."

You have a problem communicating with people who disagree with your positions. I feel certain that we could get plenty to testify to this problem of yours. I have seen many of them point it out to you. Others have pm'd me to tell me not to waste my time on you.

#106 Luke2427, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

By asking.
    Average person or average believer? What does "tremendous" have to do with it?
    Based on how you define it.
    I don't have a basis, as I don't know their hearts. This is like saying the average gynecologist is a pervert. What is that based on...my opinion, and that's it.
    I'm not...and I doubt it. I'm an "average church goer" and to me that is an insult. I'm in a church with 250 more like me and I woldn't dare say the "majority" of them are not spiritually mature.

At any rate, what does this say about the shepherds of the flock?

#107 webdog, Jan 14, 2011
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No...that never happens here! :D

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is a very simple question. Would you say that the average American is a good Christian?

How do you define it?
    So then you never make any conjecture about averages without hard stats, is that right?

You would not say that the average 8 year old does not know the periodic table, right?

Some do. There's no doubt about that. As far as you know, the average does, right? Because you can't ask all of them, nor do you have any hard stats on the matter.

You would reject the idea that the average 8 year does not know the periodic table because you can't ask them, right?

That's your standard of conjecture concerning averages, right? If not, what is your standard for being able to believe that "the average _________ does ____________"?

If that is true, congratulations. Would you say that the average church member gives sacrificially to the church and missions? Would you say your average church member has read his/her bible through numerous times?
    Would you say your average church member proclaims the Gospel of Christ on a very regular basis? Would you say your average church member is rigorously training, his/her children in the ways of God at home? Would you say your average church member knows where he stands soteriologically, hamartialogically, Christologically, and on Theology Proper?

Because if the answer is positive in all those areas, I think most of us can safely say you attend a VERY above average church.
    According to your silly standard here you can't say anything about them until you ask them or know their hearts.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say the average American is not even a believer. Do you mean "average believer"?
    I'm not, I asked you. Are you referring to believers, people who call themselves "christians" or Americans?
    I don't recall saying that. Based on pure opinion not based on facts?
    I have no knowledge of that as I do not know what they are teaching 8 year old today. My son's Pre-K curriculum is what they used in 1st grade 5 years ago. I would venture to guess probably not, though...but I would not state it as fact as you have.
    I don't know...how would I know...and how is it any of my business one way or the other? Does someone need all of that to understand calvinism?
    Why is that a silly standard? You have made the declaration that what you say is a fact. If this is indeed a fact, as you know everything you asked above...wouldn't the shepherd be responsible as well?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke, in my experience, the best Christians, those that are living godly lives are rarely intellectuals in theology. Most would call them very average, they have a normal education and hold normal jobs. These are the folks that are there everytime the door is open, and give sacrificially of their time and finances. They shovel the snow, drive the buses, arrive early to prepare food and set up chairs, clean the church, pick up the elderly or children...
    Rarely are folks like this intellectuals. Intellectuals often believe themselves too important to get their hands dirty serving the Lord.

Ask any pastor who he would rather have, ten intellectuals, or ten average folks. You might be surprised.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Actually the "average" of something is quite often not the best to demonstrate the "tendency" of data. Medians, Modes, Weighted average, Least squares, lines of best fit not to mention a multitude of other non-parametric and stochasitc processes often give a much better picture of the "average". :)

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this coming from an "average christian"? :) If so, knowing what you know...would you be able to grasp the intellectually superior doctrine of calvinism?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Like I said......discord.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I missed the memo where webdog was appointed spokesman concerning the genuineness or lack thereof of the average American's faith?

Neither. I am making a point that you snarky remark was baseless.

It is called presuppositions. There are some things that are so obvious that we presuppose they are true. For example, we presuppose that raising the dead is not a common occurrence across the globe.

We also presuppose that the average church goer in this country is no where near a spiritually mature as he should be.

We base that on the average income vs the average missionary support and observation of travelling across the country and speaking with many different churches.

There is no need for you to receive the "memo where luke was appointed, yada, yada, yada..."

Probably not???? On what do you base this probability?? Who made webdog the spokesman for... you get the idea.

You don't have to know for certain. Educated conjecture is not sin.
    Irrelevant. The point is that I am to receive a memo appointing me the spokesman... before I can say that the average church goer is not very spiritually mature.

I also declare to be a fact that the average man in China cannot fly by flapping his arms.

16. quantumfaith

I try, really I do, hope God will grade me on effort and the bell curve. :)

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Your experience has not exposed you to many Christians who have any theological training, I venture.

My experience and the experience of those who HAVE sat under brilliant theological minds is VERY different from yours.

18. quantumfaith

Luke:

"We also presuppose that the average church goer in this country is no where near a spiritually mature as he should be."

This can most definitely be said of EVERY believe of ALL time. All of us are in the same boat, and....we all put our britches on the same way, one leg at a time.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not so. The brilliant theological minds put their pants on both legs at a time. :laugh:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well here it is..."Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."
    I think my "data" is in solid ground. How about yours?
    Huh :confused:
    Please tell me you didn't compare our inability to raise the dead with what a person does know, doesn't know and their relationship with God (that only THEY can know). :laugh: That is why you have so much problem with your Jack and John analogy...your "presuppositions"
    No I don't, as I am not stating a fact as you did.
    Where is this "education" coming from...your opinion? If it's conjecture, there must be some evidence. What?
    It's hardly irrelevant. Your whole theory is based on mere opinion. Have you ever thought about the implications from your opinion, btw? If the majority of believers do not have a good relationship with God, what is that saying about the influence of the Holy Spirit?
    There's a relevant response! I will also declare Luke2427 does not know what is in a person's heart or head, and doesn't know and cannot know what the "average church goer" can and cannot grasp. This evidence is based on the fact Luke2427 is not divine and is not privileged to have access to "the average church goers" mind and heart. How's that for educated conjecture?

#120 webdog, Jan 14, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.