1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Freewill stop at salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dale-c, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

But in a natural birth, you DON"T have the freewill to get INTO that relationship.
    You are there by birth.

So what you are telling me is that you have the freewill to get in, but once in, no freewill to get back out?
    THus losing your freewill?
    Correct me if I have misquoted you.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Comparing natural birth to spiritual birth is like comparing apples to oranges, but the comparison can be made that physical birth takes cooperation from a man and a woman, as well as a spiritual birth where man cooperates with God (having faith).

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The entire purpose for the analogy in the Bible was to compare the two.
    It is the same, only in a spiritual sense

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then my point stands that the comparison can be made that physical birth takes cooperation from a man and a woman, as well as a spiritual birth where man cooperates with God's requirements (having faith).

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Redemption is not a covenant between God and man. It is a covenant wherein the Father has decreed it, the Son has executed it, and the Holy Ghost has revealed it. God has purposed it with Himself.

1 Pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:...

Cause - the foreknowledge of God the Father
    Means - sanctification of the Spirit
    effect - obedience and sprinkling of the blood of the Son

#25 J.D., Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to the Bible, it is.

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Please quote me the scripture in which God and man covenanted together to redeem man.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mark 16:16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Acts 16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

Romans 10:9 if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing you quoted indicates a covenant (agreement). If the terms is believing, where in scripture do you find man agreeing to those terms? Even Arminius recognizes that a condition is not a covenant. The Arminian understanding of Romans 9 is that God predetermined within Himself to save those that would believe and the protest of man ("Why does He yet find fault" and "Why hast thou made me thus?") is evidence that man has no say in the matter of God choosing to save those that will believe. It's all right there in Wesley's notes on Romans 9.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Everywhere! When you were saved, did you not agree that Jesus Christ died on the cross for you, and apart from Him you were lost and going to Hell? Then you were in agreement with God's plan, that whoever believes...will be saved!

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

So you admit there are situations in this life where we do not have free will. The absence of free will in this particular circumstance does not completely rule out the existence of free will, does it?
    You have the free will to enter into a permanent relationship. You have used your free will, not lost it. But you cannot change the set-up of what God has designed as a permanent relationship just by wishing you had the free will to change it.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Admit? I don't believe in freewill. Out will is hindered by our hearts. Our hearts without Christ quickening us will never choose Him.