1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God alter His own will at times??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Feb 8, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Oasis, Good on ya, mate! If you are in your semi, maybe you can find some truckstops that lend his tapes FREE (nationwide) through another Memphis ministry called "Highway Harvesters." Maybe you could be a part of that ministry in your travels, eh?

I'll give you more info if you like :D

skypair

2. Oasis

Oasis New Member

skypair
    Thanks for the info skypair.
    I order tapes from "Love Worth Finding", online.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Even better! :D

skypair

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Allan;
    I don't believe these scriptures are a picture of God changing His will but rather changing the possible lives of men to meet His will. God's will, will always be consitently the same. Even though all things may or may not be according to His will. We may start our lives as vessels of wrath and be changed into vessels of life as a result of the seed of His word planted inside us.
    MB

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I don't believe God changes His will, but I do believe He changes His method. When Cain killed Able, through whom God would have provided the Saviour, God raised up Seth. No matter how much satan tries to thwart God's plan, he can't do it. God simply takes a different route. Of course, since God sees and knows everything, He is never taken by surprise. He knows beforehand what satan will do and has a backup plan ready. I can't help but wonder if God doesn't get some pleasure out of making satan's feeble efforts null and void.:godisgood:

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, but did God not know about their live (ie, what would come about, how long they will live, how many hairs on their head?)

It sounds like your saying every man has two lives until death seals them in whatever thier faith is. (CHrist or Not)

Does God not know EVERY man that is his? Does He not know the sum total of every human who will claim the Name of Christ in repentence and Faith?

IF so then how can He change mens lives according to His will when His will is already set FOR their life from the foundation of the World?

This is why I bring up the opinion of two wills in God. One Supreme Soveriegn Will who knows all things as He ordained them, and a second will that can work freely and actively inside the first to bring about necessary events and changes that the first is completed, finiished, and exact in all it counsil.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ummm....

Would you mind showing me where scripture states God intended on bringing forth the Messiah through the line of Abel?? Even an insinuation would be interesting.

You have God and Satan playing Chess apparently. Satan desires to thwart God but has never been able to derail His INTENDED Plan. God has never changed His plan concerning what He was going to do from the Beginning or the Foundation of the World. God does not have a back up plan, for if He did then He is not all knowing nor is He all powerful to maintain His plan and course of intent or action.

God is good but also almighty, powerful, exaulted, supreme and lets not forget perfect. He does not bend to go around satan but steps right through Satans plans, dividing it like the Red Sea and setting His plan exactly where He intended it to be and nothing has the power to make it bend much less go around.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God didn't know He wouldn't be all knowledgeable
    Everyman has two possibilities where Salvation and condemnation is concerned. We are sinners by nature but we don't have to stay in this condition. We have been granted repentance.
    Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
    Of course He does but we still have to make those same decisions. His knowledge doesn't determine our destiny. What determines our destiny is our willness to let the seed mature and produce fruit. If we reject the seed then God never knew it. God can't know unless we make the decision. We aren't His unless we make the right descission
    I disagree that mans destiny is set from before the foundation of the world. Scripture never says when we are predestined. Predestination is those terms is fatalism. It's fatalism because man would never be able to escape it.
    It also ignores the fact that all things are possible with God.

His will is that man come to Him by there own voluntary will. Just as man had to bring His own sacrifice for sin to the priest voluntarily in the O.T.
    Lev 1:3 If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD.

Being voluntary means that it wasn't predestined to happen. The whosoever wills are this same voluntary will that was expressed before Christ.
    I wouldn't call it two wills but two plans one for the obedient and one for the disobedient. It isn't particular to the individual but is based on the faith of the man and whether or not it grows. We are nothing but clay in God's hand and He can change how we are molded. All men are sinners from the beginning of there lives but the seed, and man's response to it. Can change the heart of men. When the heart changes so does his destiny. There is nothing I know of in scripture that indicates that mans destiny is permanate from birth.
    MB

#48 MB, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  9. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

True. But the fact that He has that knowledge means that our destiny is determined.