1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Care Where Our Money Goes?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by James_Newman, Oct 7, 2004.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

This raises a good question: What if the only local Christian supplier of a particular product or service charged twice what other, non-Christian suppliers of that product or service charged.

Should we feel any obligation to patronize the Christian company; or would it be considered poor stewardship to do so?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps we would not be remiss if we were to approach the Christian supplier and find out why they charge so much more. Explain your conviction to him, and your dillema. Maybe he has a good reason, or maybe he is not convicted of overcharging his brothers and needs to be corrected.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This raises a good question: What if the only local Christian supplier of a particular product or service charged twice what other, non-Christian suppliers of that product or service charged.

Should we feel any obligation to patronize the Christian company; or would it be considered poor stewardship to do so?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Poor stewardship, imho. Some of my worst experiences have come from dealing with "Christian" businesses.

Here I choose to use a printer who is Catholic instead of using a missionary printer who is cheaper and does equal quality work. He prints our tracts and gospel newsletters.

We have established a wonderful relationship because of it and we have had several times of witnessing and sharing. He phoned us for prayer when his wife delivered a baby 2 months premature.

He prints things that I would never approve of. Most of the major horse racing tracks in the area use him. He prints gambling tickets for the horse tracks.

Is this what is menat by "pitching out tent too close to Sodom?"

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Brother, thats what I'm trying to determine. Personally I do feel a conviction about it. My bible says Holman on the side of it. But thats not because I know anything about Holman Bible Publishers or anything. If I tell you that you shouldn't support something based on principle, then I ignore that principle in other areas of my life, what does that make me?

So I'm trying to answer the question for myself. I have been convicted more and more that I need to 'come out from among them' and not just in a figurative sense. I need to know what God wants from me. I appreciate everyones input on the subject.

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Thanks James and C4K for the thoughtful answers. They confirm my thoughts that there's a lot of gray area in answering the question.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Poor stewardship, imho. Some of my worst experiences have come from dealing with "Christian" businesses.

Here I choose to use a printer who is Catholic instead of using a missionary printer who is cheaper and does equal quality work. He prints our tracts and gospel newsletters.

We have established a wonderful relationship because of it and we have had several times of witnessing and sharing. He phoned us for prayer when his wife delivered a baby 2 months premature.

He prints things that I would never approve of. Most of the major horse racing tracks in the area use him. He prints gambling tickets for the horse tracks.

Is this what is menat by "pitching out tent too close to Sodom?"
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not sure what missionary printer means, brother. I'm guessing someone who does printing for missionaries. But if the work is the same, and the price is less, what was your basis for choosing the catholic over the missionary printer?

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

With your views on translation (not going off topic) do you feel comfortable using a company which has printed an whole new translation?

http://www.broadmanholman.com/hcsb.ASP

By doing so are you not contributing to the spread of a "false gospel?"

This IS NOT an attempt to drag this off thread - other posters please do not use this as an opportunity to do so. The question fits in the context of this thread.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Because I found him first and it was too far to travel to get the work done by the missionary printer. The end result has been an ongoing gospel witness -

plus, he cuts me a major price break now ;) .

8. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Brother, thats what I'm trying to determine. Personally I do feel a conviction about it. My bible says Holman on the side of it. But thats not because I know anything about Holman Bible Publishers or anything. If I tell you that you shouldn't support something based on principle, then I ignore that principle in other areas of my life, what does that make me?

So I'm trying to answer the question for myself. I have been convicted more and more that I need to 'come out from among them' and not just in a figurative sense. I need to know what God wants from me. I appreciate everyones input on the subject.
    </font>[/QUOTE]If we take it back to the first church in Acts, they sold everything that they had, and brought it to the Apostles to be used communally. I do not know what they did for their basic staples (i.e., flour, meat, etc.). Did they rely upon only the church (its members) to supply all that they required? Did they make sacrifices and do without in order to take the path less travelled?

There is a lot to be said regarding your search for an answer to this question, especially if you are feeling a conviction from the Holy Spirit. If we would take more time out of our busy life-styles to focus on such matters, I am sure that the Holy Spirit would lead us to a more perfect answer. I know that to get to eggs and bacon at my local supermarket, I have to go by the aisles
    and aisles of booze, although I do not believe one should partake of it. I will follow the posts with interest unless it does get high-jacked.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

In case I am misunderstood - look back at my first post in this thread - I think it is a valid topic and worth seeking out an answer.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

That is a good question. Although it is a bit different than my original thought. I don't think that just because a company supports other bible translations that they are doing it in bad faith. I don't think that the NIV will send you to hell either (although it might help). My thinking was that I knew Rupert Murdoch was profitting from my purchase of a Zondervan product, and that Rupert Murdoch was, in my estimation, an ungodly man. But maybe you can tell me if there is a company that only publishes KJV bibles? I really don't know. :(

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Valid question - do I please God by being a solid witness with a lost printer? Do my sons please God by being the only Christians in the company?

Would we really please God by withdrawing from the community? Would that not affect our opportunity to be salt and light?

You have very valid concerns, but we must weigh them in the light of the whole counsel of God.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Suppose you worked at 'Godly Publishers Incorporated' and you sold bibles, and you knew that the owner of your company was using his profits in good faith and tithing faithfully and blessing the poor and the fatherless and the widows when he was able. Then one day you come to work and find that Hugh Heffner has bought the company. You still have the same employees working with you and you still sell the same products to the same people, but now the profits are going into a 'Send a stripper to college' scholarship fund. Is it ok to stay there and continue working like nothing has changed?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I certanly don't think I could work there any more. But isn't that something of a black/white situation and not a "grey area" which we seem to be discussing?

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully believe, perhaps naively (sp), that we can trust the Holy Spirit to guide us in these matters.

If God brings it to your attention, a'la James Newman-Rupert Murdoch, then you might want to really question God if this is to alter your spending target, or is it just satan trying to get you all worked up and questioning God's word!?

If, on the other hand, there is no problem with your spending habits, (your target acquisitions, not the location of the money AFTER you have spent it), then you should be able to "spend" with a clear conscience.

I should think that Paul's admonition to "not cause your brother to stumble" would also play a part in your decisions.

Lastly, keep in mind that God owns it all, so he can ultimately direct it (money) as He sees fit. Don't remember the exact words, but Proverbs states that the money the wicked amass will be given to the righteous.

That being the case, I believe that if we HONESTLY try to be good stewards of His bounty, we will be led by the Spirit if we get off course!

Edited to add:
    This is a great topic, and one that I'm sure all of have wrestled with at some time or other. It sure dosen't hurt to be reminded from time-to-time that we are JUST stewards of His "property" and not the actual owners!

Thanks James!!!

15. David M Walker

David M Walker New Member

http://www.avpublications.com/ [​IMG]

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Ok, well then supposing your one of the customers. Should you continue to patronize that store? Even if the next closest store for purchasing the bibles that they sell is an hour away? I know this is a lot of what-ifing, forgive me if I seem to be chasing bigfoot here. Could anyone think of a scriptural situation that might be similar?

17. LarryN

LarryN New Member

http://www.avpublications.com/ [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Let's see, our choices are either Murdoch or Gail Riplinger.

Suddenly old Rupert doesn't look quite so bad! :cool:

18. David M Walker

David M Walker New Member

"Suddenly old Rupert doesn't look quite so bad!"

Mt 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
    Mr 8:33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.
    Lu 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

19. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

OK Guys. Focus, now. Stay focused on the OP. :rolleyes:

20. LarryN

LarryN New Member

It was just a joke, David!