1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God have a Mother II

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Eliyahu, Dec 17, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

Eliyahu, I used to think you were serious. Now I suspect you're an internet troll.

Have you talked to your pastor yet about the orthodox view of the birth of Jesus, the God the Word made flesh?

2. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Just remember natter, orthodox does not mean Sacred. Orthodoxy is not infallibility

3. natters

natters New Member

Just remember Bunyon, it's odd to oppose a fundamental orthodox Baptist doctrine and still call yourself a Baptist.

Have you talked to your pastor yet about the orthodox view of the birth of Jesus, the God the Word made flesh?

4. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Natters, are you denying what you said before? You look Internet Troll!

You don't know about the history of Baptists and therefore you misunderstand about what Baptists believe. They have opposed to any human tradition contrary to Bible teachings.

Do you rely on the interpretation by Pastor?
    Have you ever read 1Jn2:27? Please read it!

5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    natters, are you still worshipping Flesh as your God? if so, please stop it!

6. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"Just remember Bunyon, it's odd to oppose a fundamental orthodox Baptist doctrine and still call yourself a Baptist.

Have you talked to your pastor yet about the orthodox view of the birth of Jesus, the God the Word made flesh?"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure why I would need to. We all believe that Christ was fully God. I hope you don't go around your church playing Ephesian inquisitor trying to label your fellow member heretics as you have here.

An beside you need to go back to school if you think the Title Mother of God is fundamental orthodox BAPTIST doctrine!

7. natters

natters New Member

I was not referring to the term, I was referring to the nature of Christ, and what the Word was made flesh means.

Eliyahu, I am understanding your comments less and less.

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I was not referring to the term, I was referring to the nature of Christ, and what the Word was made flesh means."-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well in that case why are we still talking, everyone, from the beginning has told you they believe Christ is fully God.

9. natters

natters New Member

Bunyon, I'm not talking about that. Obviously several of you have a different, unorthodox position of the Word being made flesh. Some of you think it's about God "wearing" flesh, and taht his flesh was not divine - in other words, separating his flesh from his divinity - which is what brought about the whole comparison to Nestorianism in the first place. Surely you haven't read through all these dozens of pages without understanding the point of it all, have you? Or are you deliberately playing games now?

10. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

No I know what you are saying, but it even through me for a loop at first. But we just don't need it, and it is based on limiting the word mother which we don't care to do. I think you should just go with what folks state plainly to you rather than what you glen from getting them into a vague logic argument based on a syllogism. And beside who can say they really know the nature of how God is bound together with humanity. It is not an essential to figure out the mystical details and should not have been causing problems for the last 1500 years.

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Natters, is it Orthodox if you say God was made flesh, Flesh is God? Where did you get it from?

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Natters,

God was manifested in the flesh, is that heresy?

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you find out your contradiction in your statements?
    Mary gave birth to the Divinity, but that doesn't mean that's when his divinity began?
    Consult with your dictionary : originate !

This is why you should not use the word " Mary gave birth to God" !

You are evolving from your master peices below!

Followings excerpts posted by natters

Bunyon, again you're playing the martyr.

As I have said before, it is the meaning and not the title that is important to me. I also believe that it was not the title itself that was the cause of the schism, but disagreement about what it was intended to declare - that the flesh that Mary bore was not just "the human part" of Jesus or "the physical vessel" for his divinity, but rather the flesh itself was God - the Word became flesh, not the Word filled up or joined some flesh. The flesh Mary bore was God himself, not just some "human part" of the incarnation.

I think that despite the negative aspects of this thread, there has been a huge benefit - some people needed to be aware of this important difference in understanding what the flesh of Jesus actually was.

natters
    2,000 Posts Club
    Member # 9084 posted December 09, 2005 08:52 PMDecember 09, 2005 08:52 PM

Eliyahu,

If you want to discuss soul sleep, start a new thread. If you want to speculate about who is doing what or feeling what or calling whomever what in places we cannot see right now, go ahead but don't expect me to speculate with you.

As for Mary being his mother, he still has flesh (Luke 24:39) and is still man (1 Tim 2:5) as well as God.

As for your question about James, I'm not sure if he was a true brother and not just a relative (cousin, etc.). However, if he was a true brother, he would be a half-brother of Jesus, and I would have no problem with the term "half-brother of God" if used in the same way I accept/use the term "mother of God".
    My last answer about James didn't give you enough info? Again, I would have no problem with a term like "forefather of God" if used in the same way I accept/use the term "mother of God".

14. natters

natters New Member

Eliyahu, do you really want answers to your questions?

15. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Natters,
    Any wagers on how quickly this thread (aka "Mother-of God-(?)-the-sequal") reaches 24 pages?
    :cool:

16. Doubting Thomas

Now that is a good question. [​IMG]

17. Doubting Thomas

(And, coming soon, some more not-so-clever rhymes about "human syllogisms"....)

18. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Well it will have to get there without me. If you guys keep going, you might win one or two converts. God speed! Or mother of God speed, or Artemis speed, or what ever [​IMG]

19. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No that is incarnation

Mary is "God's mother" -- the question is -- is THAT heresy?

Obviously the Bible never states that -- no Bible writer actually says it.

Obviously this attributes procreation terms to the God-attributes of Christ.

When this was attempted with Joseph "Teacher of God" it was pointed out "God is Omniscient so in His God attribute of Omniscience Joseph COULD NOT be considered the TEACHER of God". It violates a "Specific God-attribute" of Christ to say "Joseph was God's teacher".

By the same token - the God-attribute of Christ in terms of origin is "no begging - eternal" as such he could NOT have been procreated by Mary!

HENCE we find NO reference to "Mary" as the "Mother of GOD"! Doing so would violate a specific "God-attribute" of Christ. It would also lead to "worship at Mary's altars".

In Christ,

Bob

20. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The nature of the Trinity is probably the most disputed doctrine in Christian history and the source of more division than any other doctrine. Of course I believe it is right and orthodox.