1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does God Learn?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jul 9, 2012.

?
  1. Yes, scripturre clearly shows us that He does

13.0%
  2. I believe He does in some way but not sure how

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, and those who believe He learns hold on the heresy

43.5%
  4. No, those who believe He does are just wrong

43.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandym

mandym New Member

It was suggested, to my surprise, in another thread that God learns and that scripture clearly shows us that. Do you agree? If not what scripture would support your position?

2. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

I am going to be gracious and not call it heresy. I am hoping that is an error that can be repented of.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was attending college three decades ago, I was taught a definition of learning that I consider to be a good one.

Learning is a relatively permanent change in behavior based on a person's interaction with his or her environmental experiences.

Webster's defines learning as the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught.

Going with those two definitions, I'd have to say that God does not learn. Instead, He is the source of knowledge and wisdom.

I've underlined the parts of those definitions that - I feel - cannot apply to God because is violates His omniscient and unchanging nature.

Learning is a relatively permanent change in behavior based on a person's interaction with his or her environmental experiences.

The acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught.

4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And the fact that it had to be "repented" of....means that there is no reasonable conversation possible betwixt yourself and anyone with an alternative point of view. It's o.k. to be a "Calvinist"............the problem is, that apparently, every "Calvinist" is an arrogant jerk who is incapable of even starting a conversation with someone else who does not see things as you do.....You called it "graciousness" that you did not condemn all who might see otherwise as "heretics". You were actually of the opinion, that you were in fact acting.."gracious", you actually thought that!!! Unbelievable....Whatever the proponents of the "Doctrines of Grace" have a grasp of..."Grace" is simply not one of them....they don't get it, they don't understand it, and "grace" is a word they could never accurately or Scripturally define. Your post was actually meant to be "gracious"...but it was Satanically sick, sick to the core. You missed it, the whole "gracious" thing skips you. This post, and all others like it, are what keeps anyone with a modicum of discernment from becoming Calvinists. There simply is NO number of "proof-texts" you could EVER offer, which will convince men of the truthfulness of your theology. If that is how you teach...somehow, or another, those who have ever been introduced to God, cannot concieve of him talking to fellow Christians as you do.

You thought you were being polite.....what a laugh...It isn't a matter of "proof-texting"...It's a matter of knowing what a Calvinist is like, and NEVER wanting to act, sound, or be like one. Whatever Jesus taught, or whoever Jesus was....he NEVER spoke as you do, and he never acted like this. Those who admire and love Jesus, simply do not want to sound like you or act like you. Once the D.O.G. crowd figures that out....there will be far more adherents.

This has EVER been why there are more Arminian Churches, than there EVER have been Cal ones....because sinners see more of Jesus in Arminians than they do in Calvinists (as a rule).

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely not! Anyone who suggests so either doesn't know very much about theology proper or hasn't thought this issue through. If they persist in their error then they are heretics.

The idea that God learns denies his omniscience. It is much like Process Theology.

I'll wait to see if this evolves. There are several clear lines of argumentation.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Provide the link to that please.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

No......................

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wth your history of routine knee jerk whimsical shallow accusations of anyone that doesn't suit your fancy I want to know the source before I give an opinion.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If God can learn, it undermines two of His attributes: Omniscience and Immutability.

If God can learn, it means he can know something he didn't know before. Not omniscient.

If God can learn it means he knows something different from before. That's a change. Not immutable.

If God is omniscient and immutable, the answer to the OP question must be No.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I personally do not put God in a box or claim to perfectly understand God. I simply believe scripture for what it says.

Gen 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

I don't pretend to understand this verse, but I believe it. I see no purpose in God portraying himself to learn something in time unless it be true.

Gen 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
    21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

If your accusation against me is that I believe what God himself said, I plead guilty.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Check the "Perfect Knowledge" thread.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where? Direct me please. Do you lack the intestinal fortitude to do this?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since Jesus' humanity cannot be separated from Hid deity...of course He learned! Anyone voting no is espousing the very heresy of the first century gnostics!

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want the specific post from her.

15. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

webdog, that is very good insight. Certainly the humanity of Jesus learned. He had to learn how to eat, talk, walk etc. But when we address the deity, not only of Christ, but the Father and the Spirit, is there learning to be had? I cannot say for sure, but I think the OP is referring back to the Perfect Knowledge thread. The context of the comment in that thread was not about Jesus' humanity, so in that context the idea that God can learn is a dreadful error.

No mention of Christ's humanity (just so I am not accused of bearing false witness).

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1871452&postcount=41

#15 MorseOp, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
  16. mandym

mandym New Member

Your mistake is thinking anyone cares what you want. And since I named no names or threads I have no idea how you think it is a he or a she. Interesting

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yep.

Luk 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Now wait for all the backpedaling you are going to hear. :laugh:

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

exactly and it's pure heresy to say otherwise. To say that God learned something would mean that the Bible is wrong when it says that God is eternal. It would mean that the Bible is wrong when it says that God knows everything.

19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

It doesn't say that God didn't know something. For now God knows because it was demonstrated/proven by the action. To interpret that God didn't know ahead of time what they would do would deny the many passages that teach that God knows everything.

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK have it your way.

#20 kyredneck, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.