1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God love everyone?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by annsni, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why would a Calvinist deny that the Gentiles will be saved? Are all Gentiles saved? No. But it doesn't say that at all here so I don't understand your argument.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

God reveals truth to all men everywhere, if they will believe those truths (no matter how small we think they are or great even) He will send the gospel to those where no gospel is. The Etheopian in Acts for example.

Secondly who said "millions and millions" were shut out. I read continuously where the gentiles sought out Jesus even though He was primarily here for them. He still ministered to them - and it was only to them that Jesus ever made the statements of 'great faith'. Those who did not recieve the telling of the gospel had already in their own hearts rejected the truths which God reveals of Himself to each and everyman through various means but always the truth they know comes directly from Himself.

However, not everyone whom God sends the gospel to gets saved either, so your #1 is not a true answer to the question.

The only real answer is that the gospel is the 'full or complete message' of God's saving grace given to all for the salvation of those whom God knows will believe and the assurence of damnation for those who reject His great Love. He is the light which spiritually reveals truth to all men everywhere - thus all men are commanded to repent in acknowledgment of their sins against God (which are revealed by God to them through various means - nature, conscience, men's laws, and His own word) whom they know will punish by death all those who do such things. Rom 1:18-32

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

It is not indefinite, but specific - to everyone :)

Yes, Jesus did die for each and everyone. You can disagree but that is simply just your opinion.

Secondly, God does love the even the non-elect and the Reformers and Calvinists alike agree with me. You are the one out on your own theological limb who states God has not ever loved or has love for anyone but the elect. That is one of those 'tendencies' a few calvinists have that is not true to main stream historical Calvinism.

And apparently so does your love for the brethren.

Yes sir, I hold strictly with scripture on that. (1 John 2:2)

Yet it was completed and no one has stated otherwise. However, all were not redeemed at the moment of His death unless of course you believe you were born saved (as primitive Baptists due). The propitiation is only applied to man via faith (Rom 3:25)

Of course it is the satisfation of the Fathers wrath against SIN and to those by faith that receive it they are saved through that propitiation.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

My brother Allan,

When you (or any other of my BB friends for that matter) specifically answer the questions that I have posed for you with regard to Judas Iscariot in my post, describing the kind, or the degree, or the level of love that God openly demonstrated for Judas Iscariot, then--and only then--will I attempt to answer those questions that you, my dear brother in Christ have posed to me.

Is that asking too much?

I would hope not.

Blessings to you and yours!

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't ever find a place in Scripture where God hates people. Rather God's wrath and animous are stirred against sin and the acts of sin in people.

Benevolence is greater than hate. God is omnibenevolent.

6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

I am wondering if you praise God for His sovereign damnation as well?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every authentic Christian should praise God for everything He does because everything He does is right and just!

BTW,Jonathan Edwards had a good sermon on The Justic Of God In The Judgment Of Sinners.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question for everyone.Does God love those whom He does not chastise?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

All men deserve to go to hell; it is only because God is merciful that some are saved.

We don't have the answers to the questions above - what we do know is that God is a God of justice and mercy, and that is all we need to know. No one goes to hell unjustly.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What do you think of the scriptures posted in that excerpt I posted???

• Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"
    • Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."
    • Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."
    • Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil,
      19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."
    • Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

11. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

If God doesn't hate some, why is it so great that He loves me? Isn't He just doing what He's supposed to do?
    In a sense though, I do think He loves everyone to some extent through common grace, but he does show a special love to His people.

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

First, I never asked you to answer my post - I was responding to your question about love and Judas. Are you saying that Judas is not apart of the world?

Did not Jesus love his disciples (which included Judas)? - Yes
    Did Jesus hate Judas? - No, not as far as scripture declares but loved him

Did Jesus not include Judas in everything He revealed to the disciples, and also in the sending of them to cast out demons, heal the sick, and preach the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand? - Yes, and to assume Judas did not do these things Christ commanded them is to bring something to the text it does not state in any fashion.

Jesus did for Judas all that He would do for everyman, but they still must choose life or death, submission or rebellion. Yes Judas was the son of perdition not because he had no choice in the matter and then be damned but because it was his choice and God used him in a way that would absolutely bring his plan to be.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

See, Cal's and non-cals can agree :) - we might disagree as to how far that common grace grace extends but in all, we do agree here.

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree with you Marcia but one question for clarificaiton purposes:

Did God hate them before they were born or after they choose to continue in sin and wickedness?

IOW - when did God choose to give them over to their wickedness?

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL that God does is perfect and deserves my praise. You would NOT praise God for justice/judgment of unrepentant sinners?

"And God hath before the foundation of the world, foreordained some men to eternal life, through Jesus Christ, to the praise and glory of His grace; leaving the rest in their sin to their just condemnation, to the praise of His justice. " (from the oldest English Baptist Confession of Faith)

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just how does man "diligently seek Him" when the Bible clearly teaches "There are none that seek God"??

Man is incapable in nature to do one iota of "right", and must be given a new nature capable of seeking.

It is true THEN that God rewards those who seek. But He first seeks man and changes man and only then will (or CAN) man respond by seeking.

Gotta keep a sovereign God to first "act", and only THEN His elect to whom He gives faith and repentance will "re-act"

17. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Well, GOD'S word says that Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
    Three different times, that seems like a established witness that he does hate. That is what GOD has to say about the matter.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet we know from Scripture that hate does not mean the opposite of love, else John 3:16 would be a lie.

That verse is about nations, btw...

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet we know from Scripture that hate does not mean the opposite of love, else John 3:16 would be a lie.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.