1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God love people in hell?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Osage Bluestem, Feb 14, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

39.1%
  2. No

60.9%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osage Bluestem

We are justified by faith. Regeneration and justification are not the same thing.

The ordo salutis is like this:

election/predestination, gospel call, regeneration, faith, justification, repentance, sanctification, glorification.

I believe Macarthur is either mistaken or his words were taken out of context. In an age where God's justice and wrath were spoken of far mor than his love for the elect it would be a pretty far stretch to say the reformers and puritans believed God loved people in hell.

2. Osage Bluestem

All those for whom Christ died needed Christ to die for them.

Those who are in hell did not receive an atonement or they wouldn't be in hell.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well, I gave you the entire context, so it couldn't be that, so you must believe he is mistaken, yet you refuse to deal with the quotes and citations he clearly provided to support his views...sounds like you are so set on not be wrong that you are ignoring any argument that might prove you are.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We disagree on the atonement, so we will not agree on who He loves. The point being here is while sinners we are enemies of God. This verse shows God loves those who are at enmity with Him, which describes those in Hell. God (who is love) would not require us to love everyone while He does not. We cannot out-love the very essence of What God is.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hos.9:15

"Every evil of theirs is in Gilgal; there I began to hate them. Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of my house. I will love them no more; all their princes are rebels."

Isa.63:7-10

"I will recount the steadfast love of the LORD, the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD has granted us, and the great goodness to the house of Israel which he has granted them according to his mercy, according to the abundance of his steadfast love. For he said, Surely they are my people, sons who will not deal falsely; and he became their Savior. In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them; in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; he lifted them up and carried them all the days of old. But they rebelled and grieved his holy Spirit; therefore he turned to be their enemy, and himself fought against them."

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed theologian Thomas Goodwin, Exposition of Ephesians:

Any ideas what this Reformed theologian means by "all Attributes"?

7. Osage Bluestem

While we were sinners Christ died for us. But we were predestined to salvation before the world began. God loved us from eternity past.

Regarding why God can do things we cannot, He is omniscient, omnipotent, immutable, holy , and just. He is fully aware of the situation and he is better than us.

He has no equal.

We have plenty of equals. It is unjust for us to condemn others because we are just as bad. He is not. He is perfect. So it is for him to have mercy on who he will, it is the Divine perogative.

Romans 9:14-18
    14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, [2] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

8. Osage Bluestem

The reformers did not teach God loved people in hell. There is no reason to even try to argue that. It is silly.

www.reformed.org

9. Osage Bluestem

I think he means that in contrast to the perfect love for the elect manifest in heaven a perfect hatred for the reprobate is manifest in hell.

God pours out his perfect wrath in a perfect way.

Hebrews 10:31
    It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Here is an excellent sermon called Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Jonathan Edwards:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/edwards/je-sinners.htm

10. mets65

mets65 New Member

Of course God loves people in hell, too bad they couldn't accept Christ and they could be with him in Heaven.

11. Skandelon

Does God So Love the World? (John MacArthur)

Does God So Love the World?

12. Skandelon

Part 2 of MacArthur:

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If either heaven or hell is the end result of God 'loving us all,' .. ain't we just lucky? "Love" has no meaning at all if He loves those in hell. Or maybe the inquisitors loved the heretics they were stretching on the rack, 'testing' with red-hot pincers and burning at the stake?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks for the article Skandelon. I think that says it all. :thumbsup:

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Excellent Article Skandelon. Thanks for sharing.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

if God hates those who now live and sin, (psalm 5:5) but choses to shed His love on them for salvation and many refuse His offer then there is no reason to believe that He continues to love those who have sinned unto judgment and eternal torment. So no God does not love those who are in hell.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

My answer to the poll question, "Does God love people in hell?" was no.

But the question in the OP was different: "Will love that has the power to save, save indeed?"

I would answer "yes" to that, unless Osage (the original poster) meant, "Will love that has the power to save every human being who has ever lived, is living, or will live, save universally?"

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Surely whether or not you agree that the "first one sounded like henry mahan" will depend, not on your persuasion, but on how well you know that man's voice. :)

19. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Matthew 18:
    32"Then summoning him, his lord said to him, 'You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me.

33'Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?'

34"And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him.

35"My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart."

Matthew 23:
    Seven Woes on the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees
    13 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. [14] [Some manuscripts include here words similar to Mark 12:40 and Luke 20:47.]

15 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

16 “Woe to you, blind guides! You say, ‘If anyone swears by the temple, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gold of the temple is bound by that oath.’ 17 You blind fools! Which is greater: the gold, or the temple that makes the gold sacred? 18 You also say, ‘If anyone swears by the altar, it means nothing; but anyone who swears by the gift on the altar is bound by that oath.’ 19 You blind men! Which is greater: the gift, or the altar that makes the gift sacred? 20 Therefore, anyone who swears by the altar swears by it and by everything on it. 21 And anyone who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22 And anyone who swears by heaven swears by God’s throne and by the one who sits on it.

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. 24 You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.

25 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. 28 In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

29 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous. 30 And you say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our ancestors, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ 31 So you testify against yourselves that you are the descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Go ahead, then, and complete what your ancestors started!

33 “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? 34 Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. 38 Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

Matthew 12:7
    If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the innocent.

Many people think they are God and their judgment is righteous and how their understanding is the truth, but God said this.

Hebrews 10:30
    For we know Him who said, " VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY " And again, " THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE."

#59 psalms109:31, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
  20. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Maybe it could refer to people in hell, but only IF:

1. Paul's very next words, in Romans 5.9-11 didn't make it crystal clear that he was not referring to those in hell:

Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

People in hell are not "reconciled to God", they are not saved by Christ's life, nor have they received reconcilliation through Him.

And IF:

2. the letter had been addressed to everyone living in Rome, and not, as Romans 1.7-8 says (emphasis mine):

To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

Webdog, I know that you did not say that Romans 5.8 referred to those in hell, but that "still sinners" describes people in hell. Even so, the implication is (please correct me if I have misunderstood you) that the fact that God loved Christians before they were converted lends support to the idea that God must love people in hell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.