1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does God Understand Sign Language

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pearl, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Pearl

Pearl New Member

I have used Sign Language (a little bit) in church. I use it alot at home in my prayer & worship time? Does God understand what I say?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My deaf friends have come to know Christ, partly in tool of ASL.

Does God understand sign language? My question to that is...who is God to you? If He is big enough for salvation, why not the language?

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pearl are you Deaf yourself?... You didn't say. Sign Language is a language just like any other language. Just because a person can't talk does that limit God?... No!... What about a spoken language? Hebrew and Greek were the original language of the scriptures but I can't speak either. Does that limit Gods dealings with his English speaking creation or any other language for that matter.

I have a Deaf Son who is 21 years old and he prays to God daily. Does God not understand him because he talks with his hands? Is God limited in dealing with his creation because of his limitations or is it because of theirs?... God is God without limitations... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. Pearl

Pearl New Member

tyndale1946 --
    Glen, no I am not Deaf (or deaf). I got interested in Sign Language when I was in fourth grade. I am now a senior in High School Sign Language has helped me a alot in life. In 1998 I had surgery & after the surgery I started having seizures. I have found when I have the seizures, even though I can't verbally speak, I can still communicate through Sign Language. I also have a stuttering problem, but when I sign it slows down the speech in my brain that is trying to get out (I learned in my sign class that the same part of the brain that is used for Speeh is also used for Sign Language). I will pray for your son as my brother in the Lord and our common bond with Sign Language.

Love in Christ, Pearl

5. Pearl

Pearl New Member

From Pearl: When I pray to God in Sign Language, He answers me in Sign Language. God also speaks to me verbally when I pray verbally (I prefure Sign Language).

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Language (verbal or signed) is often a hindrance to our prayers. We try to couch the burdens of our heart in "words".

God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must do so from the spirit and truth. (John 4) And when I cannot come up with the words, His Spirit groans them out to the Father - AND HE UNDERSTANDS!

Shout to the Amazing King!