1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does it matter who baptized you?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I still can't get away from the fact that Jesus walked a long way to submit to baptism at the hands of John the Baptist. I believe this says something about Jesus' recognition of John's authority to baptize.

Jesus didn't pick just any believer. He picked John the Baptist.

2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I know it will be thrown out by everybody, but John came preaching Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand". The sinners justified God in His call for this by receiving John's baptism.

You and I have been received into the Kingdom of God. Two different things. Notice that John the Baptist was not a part of the Kingdom of God. Just consider it before you throw it out.

Luke 7:28 For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he. 29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John."

Note what the Pharisees did: " 30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him".

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Right. Because it was "John's baptism" per Acts 19:4.

This is not true of Christian baptism. Christ sent all Christians to baptize -- Matthew 28:19-20. So it does matter who baptizes you -- it has to be a Christian.

However, the OPENING POST asked basically if a baptism by a Christian can be made invalid because of the Christian doing it. The answer, as seen in the first reply, is `no.'

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I would hate to have to deal with just anyone who is a Christian baptizing. I can just see on the day of our work, all these people showing up and saying I baptized this one and later I baptized this one, then another person saying I baptized three over here, a couple of very young people saying, we baptized twenty, they didn't want to, but we put them under anyway. Naw, I will just keep it in the authority of the Church, but especially among the ordained.

BBob,

#124 Brother Bob, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  5. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Then you do so solely based on your own opinion.

Matthew 28:19-20 says what it says. The Bible never teaches that Matthew 28:19-20 is reserved only for a special elite class of Christians, and that Christians not baptized by a member of that special elite class was baptized improperly.

#125 Darron Steele, Jul 9, 2008
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

16: Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
    17: And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
    18: And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19: Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

7. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

If you really think that this is only to certain Christians, then you are not authorized to
    1) seek to lead people to Christ, and
    2) teach Christians about the teachings of Christ.

If the directive of Matthew 28:19-20 was only to the 11 apostles, then Christianity would have vanished after they died. I do not see how your view can be square with Scripture.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If you are saying that all Christians have the authority to baptize, then all your children that you have baptized, can go out and baptize their little friends. Is that what you believe???

Can you show me scripture where children baptized people?? Can you show me scripture where lay people baptized?? Can you show me scripture where a woman baptized people??

Baptism is what we are discussing here. You are certainly entitled to believe whatsoever you want.

BBob,

#128 Brother Bob, Jul 9, 2008
  9. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

In reference to Matthew 28:19-20 which has a three-fold directive:
    Depends. Are their "little friends" Christians?

If they are Christians, I guess that they can. Interesting point. I never thought about it. Thank you.

Of course, there is no such thing as baptism of non-Christians. If the person being dunked is not a Christian, it is not a baptism.

I have never seen anyone allege that some Christians are not to seek to lead people to Christ, or that some Christians are not to teach other Christians about the Lord's ways. I cannot understand why anyone would argue different on baptism. If someone is going to allege the same for the rest of the three-fold directive, I cannot imagine how the church could have grown so quickly in the New Testament-era if only a small portion of Christians could evangelize.

#129 Darron Steele, Jul 9, 2008
  10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We believe at our church that only "ordained" authority under the guidance of the church, has the authority to baptize. He can use a "lay" person to help, but the actual baptizing has to be done by ordained men.

A Christian teaching others about Christ is what Christians do as a Christian. Under your belief, baptizing can be done by anyone, children, women, lay people, any member of the church. We do hold to that. But you will have to serve the Lord according to your own concious.

Do you know of a case where you could not lead someone to Christ and also bring them to your Pastor for membership and baptism??

BBob,

#130 Brother Bob, Jul 9, 2008
  11. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Very well. Let us leave it at that.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Thank you for your response. There is much there to consider. As for this remark I would say it indeed the one doing the baptizing does matter. In all our baptizing we need to be sure that we have been baptized into Christ by the Holy Spirit.:thumbs: I see that as the most important baptism and that does not directly involve water. It may or may not take place at water baptism. It sounds like to me that it took place in your life, and mine as well, without any water.