1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does It REALLy matter If A Christian Believes Either "Young/Old Earth?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I think the question should be what proof is there that the earth is old?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who still quotes Setterfield. I mean come on, this is exactly why people don't take the young earther position seriously. If you're going to quote personalities and reasonable prognosticators please, please quote someone credible.

Setterfield has zero credibility.

I've gotta say you need to provide a citation for this. There is no one I've encountered in conversations about astrophysics and cosmology either takes Setterfield seriously or has given his theory any attention. I mean even Christian apologists run as far away from Setterfield as possible. His math and reasoning is just plain bad.

Plus, I'm not really inclined to take the word of a guy who hasn't got the academic street cred to get his work peer reviewed. (That isn't a personal attack, I'm sure Setterfield is a nice guy and great Christian.)

Or you could just say that since God creates with age and can cause light to appear at whatever stage upon creation. :)

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Please show me where, in my original reply, I presented a view that denied any of your points above. Thanks in advance. :)

4. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

I believe God did it, simple as that.

But then again, what was He supposed to tell early man about the details? Would they have understood Him?

Lets see how this would go. In the beginning I expanded all the matter in the universe in less than 1/2 of a second, then while cooling off the racing sub atomic particles began creating both matter and antimatter in a chain reaction................................

Wouldn't be understood quite like: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Sounds better doesnt it?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Actually, ancient men were very sophisticated in science. One only needs to look at works like the pyramids to see they understood mathematics and the laws of physics to a great degree. We still do not fully understand how they built the pyramids or mummified bodies. Men were far more intelligent than we give them credit for.