1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does Life Begin at Conception?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2011.

?
  1. Yes....

32 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No...

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. To believe this is not radical or extreme...

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. Here's what I believe.... (see comment)

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the moment of conception, it is a child.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I do believe this and do not consider it radical. I would not be dogmatic as I might have been at one time, but don't see any other alternative that makes any real sense. Any other time, to me at least, seems like nothing more than saying conception can't be the right time so we need to figure out another.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not being argumentative, but it depends on your definition of life. The sperm and the egg are alive else there could be no life when they join. If you have ever seen sperm under a microscope you know those 'rascals' are alive.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I just assumed we were talking about the life of a human being.

6. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

If not joined with an egg, all sperm will die. If not joined with a sperm, all eggs die. When joined, the two become one life, the will of God.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes without question life begins at conception.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But there is life there. Also when joined the result, both male and female, will die in time. Just different lengths of life. Are you sure that all conceptions are the "will of God?"

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I need to look back, but am not sure anyone is permitted to post an opinion contrary to the conception view on the Baptist Board.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Board Posting Rules

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Has Crabby has been taking lessons from Slick Willy on how to slither around an answer?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do believe that all conceptions are the will of God after going through fertility treatments. I had two cycles where there were no less than 10 eggs that were released, everything tested out perfectly and all things were done properly. ;) I never conceived. Seriously - 10 eggs, perfect conditions and NO conception? That amazed me. In talking to my Ob/Gyn later, I said that it's really a miracle that any baby is born and he agreed. It's an incredible, amazing process and there's no way that God's hand is not in it. :)

14. mrsteamer

mrsteamer New Member

This is a pretty interesting debate. I have some food for thought, what determines life? Here are the 5 basic life functions:
    1. Grow and Develop
    2. Reproduce
    3. Get rid of waste
    4. Respond to Environment
    5. Use Energy

Its amazing to see how as the baby grows it performs more of these functions.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Sorry, jumpy mouse and I clicked before I saw I wasn't clicking the right box. (yeah, that means I'm the no)

You can't take two living cells and make a dead thing. That doesn't mean life will continue after conception, but at that moment there is life. To deny that would be to deny the scientific facts that God has allowed us to view here in these modern times.

16. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't believe life begins at conception.

In the past I've voiced this and my reasons, which are perfectly acceptable and biblical, and been shut down by the moderators around here. (because discussion is dangerous)

So I'll just state my point and move on.

#16 preachinjesus, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well, preachingjesus, there is a difference between believing that life begins at conception and believing that a human soul begins its journey at that point. (which is something I DON'T believe)

And that is what Crabby is trying to circumvent. Usually, I say the potential for human life begins at conception. Whether or not that life continues and becomes a "living soul" depends on a number of factors both internal (due to a failure of the genetic material) and external (the body of the mother being unsuitable for implantation, some I suffered with, bc pills). Those variables, imo, make a big difference between "life" and a "living soul".

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I think the true answer bibblically and physicilogically speaking is yes. I have worked in the hospital field for over 11 years, and even when very early in the gestational period, you can hear a heart beat. Where the heart beats, there is life.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If it doesn't begin at conception, then when does it begin? Does it begin after so many weeks in the womb or does it begin the moment the child leaves the birth canal? Or does it begin when the baby takes in that first breath of air? And, who are you to make that determination? IMO this takes us down the slippery slope that has led to partial birth abortion and it's only going to get worse.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree

I just do not know about this one. Is the soul created at conception? Does the soul exist before conception? When is the soul created? I don't know.

I agree.

No, I am not trying to circumvent anything. I am trying to find out what others thinking is and which ballpark this discussion is in. This are other types of life on earth. Nor am I talking about human life as that is taboo on the board. I am curious what others believe about other life.

When pollen fertilizes the pistil is a rose a rose at that point or later?
    When is an Oak an Oak?
    When is a cat a cat?

Just curious.

#20 Crabtownboy, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011