1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does man have the ability to keep the whole law?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Former Member Amorphous, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The reason Paul says what he does was true as far as the purpose of the law and what they were advcoating. Mandatory Circumcision........false...
    There is a correct use of the 10 commandments for not Christians.
    Not going back to Moses, but moving forward in Christ Jesus.
    The Spirit leads to law keeping as sons.....Jesus was a look awesome keeper.

Again......which law can we break?
    When heathens sin, what laws are being violated when they make idols, fornication, steal, murder, etc.....sin is transgression of the law....

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The leading of the Spirit happens in two main areas...... to obey the commands to mortify sin;
    11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

that is why vs14 says ......FOR.....The leading is to mortify sin which is transgression of the law, and away from the fruit of the flesh.

The instrument used is God's word...His law;
    10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we need to understand that per God Himself, ONLY jesus ever kept the entire law, as ALL others have been sinners and off the mark!

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can never keep the law. It is both physically (as previously shown)and morally impossible.

When it comes to the keeping of the law we are MORALLY BANKRUPT.
    This is why the rich young ruler asked Jesus:
    Luke 18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
    Jesus answered:
    20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.
    21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

The young man KNEW that he lacked something,
    Jesus added another requirement and the young man went away sorrowing.

Actually he was already saved (IMO).

Mark 10:21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

David KNEW the very same thing:

Psalm 119
    4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
    5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
    6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.

Why was he ashamed? He yearned to keep all His commandments
    But he was not able to meet God's expectations.

Only faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ can bring PEACE to the soul.
    Only the Spirit can bring us into that faith relationship.

Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

HankD

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    HankD,

I know ONE who did it.....and I think you know Him also;)

The law was used to show him his need....
    Not sure on that???
    22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

26 And they that heard it said, Who then can be saved?

true...
    I do not think you have these verses correct

You keep going back to argue something that is dealt with already.
    No one says we keep the law in order to be saved.

Once saved we are law keepers....when we commit acts of sin we repent...1jn 2

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean the Sinless One, well that precludes everyone else.

Apparently he already had a place in heaven (but no treasure) or why did Jesus say thou shalt have treasure in heaven.

With God all things are possible.

Because this is ALWAYS what law-keepers say.
    I don't keep the law to be saved, I keep the Law because I am saved.
    Yet we can't/won't/don't keep it perfectly which is God's requirement.
    That's not the point.
    We are morally bankrupt and even given the chance we would fail at the law.
    Adam was given one law to keep and he failed.
    We are given 1 John 1:9 because God knows we will fail.
    But in this I would agree. We need to stay close to the shepherd to avoid the rod and the staff.

HankD

7. David Crosby

David Crosby Member

@HankD
    You said "I don't keep the law to be saved, I keep the law because I'm saved." Amen, we're no longer in bondage of the Law to keep from doing wrong, but have freedom in Christ desiring to do right. The Law is fulfilled (Rom 13:10) in us (Rom 8:4) because of Romans 5:5.
    We no longer have to work for our rightiousness (as by the Law). Instead we do rightious works (as by Christ)... and we rest in Him (Heb 4:3,10).
    We now rest in Christ as He is our sabbath (rest) in fulfilling the Law.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I was repeating what I have heard from legalists.
    "I don't keep the law to be saved, I keep the law because I'm saved."

I agree, however in your last 2 sentences David, Sabbath keepers would simply say that your belief in Christ as being our Sabbath is an excuse to not keep the Sabbath.
    Irregardless David your last 2 sentences is my conviction, the Seventh Day Sabbath Keepers are wrong, Jesus is our Sabbath rest and if we do not enter into that rest then we are lost.

ASV Hebrews 4
    9 There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God.
    10 For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.
    11 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience.

Matthew 11
    28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  9. David Crosby

David Crosby Member

@HankD
    "... I keep the law because I'm saved."
    I was getting at the law says "do not murder." The Holy Spirit says "love your Neighbor."

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the "Royal Law" which we fulfill
    Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
    James 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

HankD